Status: Active.

The Secret Letters of You and Me

July 29th 2009

Today, your mother insisted we go visit you at work, I’d barely ever visited you at work before, and I was afraid you’d be mad at me. She wanted to take us both out for lunch on your break and discuss wedding details, since you were gone almost every hour of the day it was kind of hard to get a hold of you. So she marched me in the front door and signed us in, and we started the long elevator climb to your office. Your mother was texting- probably about wedding details, it was all she talked about- and I was shaking. I once tried to visit you once when we first started dating, and things were great. You would always look at me with the utmost care, your voice never vicious and angry, only soft and loving. But when I popped my head into your office, your eyes steeled and you only answered me with one worded answers until I got home. That night you screamed at me, about how you didn’t want any of the other boys looking at me, and that I had no right to come to your office, I had no right to just waltz in there unannounced. I fought back until you drew your hand back and punched the wall so hard the drywall crumbled and I started crying in fear.

I guess you were right, I should’ve told you I was coming, and you weren’t very good with surprises.

When we got up there though, you greeted us pleasantly, and even kissed me on the forehead, “It’s great to see my two favorite ladies.” Your mother laughed and kissed you on the cheek, he motioned over to Chuck, who he was talking to when we walked in, “Honey, you know Chuck, my boss.” I smiled and said hello, and your eyes moved to the doorway we just came in from, “Ah, there you are. And Chuck’s boss, Adam.”

My head snapped around and there he was, he conversed with Chuck for a second about percentages on something, when his eyes drifted to me, confused.

“Adam, I’d like you to meet my fiancé.”

Then he grinned like he was just let in on a good joke, “it’s very nice to meet you.” He said shaking my hand, I think I was the only one who caught on to the mockery in his voice, I hoped that was so.

“Nice to meet you too.” I said tightly.

“Say, you look like you’d love parks.” Your mother looked at him like he was deranged but you just laughed.

“He always acts like that.” You explained like you two were the best of friends, I was very tempted to pull the fire alarm just out of my arm reach and run like hell out of the building.

“Well, I used to like parks, but now I’m not so sure I’ll ever step foot in one again.” I said and smirked, forgetting briefly that you were here.

He looked upset, “I’m sorry. Please, don’t let my snide comments affect your park going ways. You should go to parks. A lot.”

I smiled, “Maybe.” Then I felt you touch my arm and I jumped.

“Shall we go?” You asked lightly, but your eyes looked a little colder than they were a few seconds ago.

“Nice meeting you!” I called over my shoulder graciously, nodded at Chuck, and we were off.

We had lunch at the Hard Rock Café, but I barely remembered the details we discussed. Mainly about the guest list.

“You did tell your parents about the wedding, right?” You asked halfway through the meal and I almost choked, very unladylike.

“Sorry, excuse me… but no, I forgot.” I forgot. How could I forget?

Your mother laughed, “Now I see why I have to plan all this! Well, call them right now!”

I shook my head, “They don’t take big news over the phone. I don’t even know if I have their number…” I did have their number before in my old cell phone, but you smashed it in a fit of rage, “I’ll have to drive down there.” I muttered.

“I’m sorry,” You said flatly, “but we can’t. I can’t take the time off of work. Send them a letter.”

“I can’t do that.” I whispered quietly.

Charity sighed, “Why doesn’t she just drive there next week? I’m sure we could find a few days for an opening.”

“No.” You said, your voice sent chills through my spine.

“She has to, baby.” Your mother cooed and turned to me, “How long is the drive?”

“About a day’s drive, I would be gone five days tops. Counting the hours it takes on the road.”

“Then it’s settled,” Your mother said quite simply, “We can live without the bride for a few days I guess, it’ll make me have to move some things around.” She pulled out her blackberry and began messing with her schedule. You just glared at me for the rest of the lunch.

When we got home, and your mother went to bed, I was brushing my teeth when your hand closed around my throat and you backed me up against the wall, “If you’re gone a minute over four days,” You growled a threat in my ear, “I’ll find you, and I’ll wring your neck.”