The Fairytale

Home for the Week

Somewhere in between breaking up with Will and the end of third semester I found myself at my family owned club, drinking a stiff one, wishing I could find me a good stiff one.

"Your boyfriend's here." Francis said playfully.
"What?" I choked. I never told my family about Will and the fact we'd broken up meant I'd never have to.
"Dustin." he snickered.
"Oh." I said relieved.

"So do you have a boyfriend?" he asked in a hushed voice, "C'mon you can tell me, I won't tell Dad or King Adriano for that matter."
"Bah, we broke up last week."
"What was his name?"
"Will."
"Hmm, William what? C'mon Daria, you know I can't hire a hit unless I have a last name or an address."
"You're not going to kill him." I laughed lightly.
"Psht, of course not, you know how much I hate to get my hands dirty. That's why I said I'd hire someone."
"Awe you're sweet." I kissed his cheek, "But how about you let me handle a break up like a normal person and not the daughter of a mobster."
"Fine." Francis fake sighed, "But just say the word and he's gone."
"I'm going to the bathroom."

On my way to the bathroom I hear my father's voice coming from the stockroom.
"Well Adriano, I've got to get going, I'll see you tonight."
"Bye." Adriano replied.
"Bye." a third voice said, the owner of the voice sounded young. Possibly a new bar tender, I thought.

"Daria," my father exclaimed.
"Hey Dad."
"Your mother just called, told me to remind you that you have your cousin Tanya's thing tomorrow."
"Bridal shower."
"That's it, so don't stay out too late."
"Alright." I said as he walked past me.

"No Dad." the younger voice exclaimed. It wasn't a new bartender is was Dustin.
"Why not? She's home for the week, you're home for the week, just talk to her, she's at the bar right now." Adriano replied, "She's a nice girl."
"No! This prearranged marriage shit is disgusting! It's not fair to me and its not fair to her." I liked him already, "Are we Indian now? Are you going to trade a couple of goats for her?"
"If you don't like her, you don't have to marry her. I'm not forcing you to do anything. I'm just saying give her a chance. She's quite a looker, there's no debating that and let's face it, she already knows about our line of work so she won't go running to the cops."
"Why don't I just marry a hooker." Dustin grumbled.
"Because Daria isn't addicted to crack and she's training to become a nurse. She's a smart girl."
"Uhuh, well good for her." he muttered. I dodged into the washroom just as they left the stock room.

Bored with the bridal shower, Mimi and I made our escape and went down the street to the diner to get a burger and some soda.
"I hate bridal showers." I said rolling my eyes, "Is it just me or is it kind of sad that everyone gets excited about long stem wine glasses."
"Yeah, seriously, or a vacuum cleaner." Mimi mumbled, "Oh my god it's a Hoover! That's a really nice one." she mimicked.
"Yeah as if now that you're getting married your vacuum cleaner becomes your pride and joy."
"If some day I'm stuck at the receiving end of a bridal shower, get me booze." she grinned, "So that way I can open your gift first and use it to make opening all the gifts tolerable."
"Likewise for me." I laughed.

At that moment the door to the diner opened and closed and in came a gorgeous hunk of man.
"Dare me to go talk to the hotty." I said wiggling my eyebrows.
"No, you're on the rebound." Mimi taunted.
"C'mon just for fun."
"Nah Daria, just sit down and eat your fries." she strongly suggested.
"Fine then." I yawned, "I guess you're right. It would be awkward seeing as we're all dressed up."
"Yeah."