Status: A work in progress.

The battle of life

Chapter 1 Darkness

Strange this place I find myself in, nothing but pure darkness but my eyes find themselves able to adjust a little. As I sit here in Darkness's domain, I hear something in the distance.

Screams make themselves apparent to me, other people trapped in limbo like I am. I try and close my eyes and focus on the screams, the only thing to focus on in here.

If only these people knew that screaming is how you loose your sanity here, those that cry out for Death to give them comfort will realize that Death does not dwell here, just Darkness.

I hear someone sobbing, someone cursing, someone screaming on the top of there lungs. I focus in because without these screams I to would become insane and loose whatever is left of my mind.

I feel something touch my leg, I almost open my eyes but I close them tighter trying to ignore it, I feel it again a little stronger this time but I must not try to swat at it or make any sudden movements.

The Darkness was poking me, trying to detour me from my path, my path toward the Light.

There were few people here like myself, others who knew where we were and how to escape. Darkness does not like us, not one little bit. He likes his victims and he wants them all to loose there mind and suffer here.

I continued my ascent, my eyes were still closed and I still felt Darkness's touch on my leg, my heart was pounding and I wondered if he would latch on to my leg and drag me down, down where the screams would make me go deaf a place where light would never be able to reach, a place where I would forever be damned.

I shook my head trying to get these planted thoughts out of my mind. My dark side was furiously communicating with Darkness trying to tell it my plans of escape, my light side was doing whatever it took to keep those plans secret.

I felt Darkness it was becoming more frequent, suddenly I felt something tearing at my eyes. I moved my head to the side and kept them shut. Things were getting out of hand, my mind screaming my heart was ready to be torn apart.

Suddenly I heard a voice above me, someone was saying something, as I neared I heard what he was saying.

“Death I implore you, find courage and strength to traverse this Darkness and collect me.”

I realized that he was being pulled down while I was heading up, I was saddened to hear this he must have made it far toward the light.

I found Hope and realized that the Light must not be far off, or perhaps he has been descending for a long time and I'm still have a long ways to ascend. I held on to whatever Hope would give me, the screams of the others were no more so I knew I must be close.

The feeling of being touched stopped, I knew better to sigh in relief because Darkness was preparing to attack me one more time the final attack was imminent.

I opened my eyes and looked around, of course there was only the haze of darkness.

Off in the distance I noticed a few other people, people like me who were curiously looking around, it made me smile a little inside knowing that many people have actually been able to make it this far.

I look up and there I saw it, a glowing light in the distance, the light everyone has been trying to reach. The way to leave Darkness behind and hope that we are not going to fall back anytime soon.

You hear many tales, tales of great people, people who you can look up to and admire, they are able to reach for the light and escape but they fall back, some go so far down they never see Light ever again and they live there whole life with only Darkness as a companion.

I continued my ascent noting others were doing the same, we were truly prepared to leave this place behind us.

The light grew brighter and brighter, I found myself starring into it wide eyed with a smile. It was hypnotizing and I was going to join it.

Suddenly I felt a tug, I snapped out of my trance and realized the mistake I made, I forgot all about Darkness and his desire to keep me here.

I struggled to continue forward but felt myself being pulled.

Suddenly Light came down, it grabbed hold of me and held me, it didn't pull or tug and Darkness didn't pull or tug either.

I heard stories that when Light and Darkness first came into being that they fought fiercely with each other, so much they fought they threatened to tear everything in the universe apart. They realized this and came together and made a deal, no longer would they fight over people, they would instead let people choose weather to stay with Darkness or join Light.

The decision seems easy but it isn't. Darkness is so calm and it holds me so dear, it whispers terrible dark things into my mind. Darkness tells me that he's the only one that will ever be able to love me and he will hold me forever.

I find myself believing him, why stay in a world of light when I'm only loved by Darkness?

Suddenly I heard voices, I looked up Light never speaks, it doesn't persuade like Darkness does. I realized it was not Light that was speaking to me, the voices were of the people I love, they want me to leave this and join them in the Light.

I lingered for a moment, Darkness whispering madness to me filling my head with ideas that my friends are just an illusion of Light and that he is my only friend.

Suddenly I realized that the dark side of my mind was not trying to tell Darkness anything of my plans, but the light side of me used a lot of its strength to shield me from my dark side on my journey up.

I felt the forces inside my head explode, the darkness within me screaming and pleading with me, telling me that staying is truly the best choice for me.

My light side retaliated, telling me to look at all my friends and join them. My heart sided with my light side and so the choice seemed obvious.

I looked once more into the Darkness below, with a unwilling smile I gave a wave of goodbye, I could tell that Darkness was waving as well, he believed that I would eventually return and the sad truth is that a part of me believed I would return as well.

I looked up toward the Light and Ascended through it, into a whole new world where Darkness was just a quiet whisper in the back of my mind, and Light was shining everywhere.