Status: Finished

An Apocalypse Love Story

Week three

**Abi's P.O.V. again**
Its been three weeks since we found Jingle town. Caleb has already made friends with Heather's daughter Gloria, and Whatsername's son Christain and daughter Lucy. We all found out Amber was pregnant, and that Sarah and Tre were planning on having kids in a few months.
Mike got a job as a gate guard, and I helped Amber and Whatsername work in a small coffee shop (yes, Mike's dream came true!). Caleb started school in two days, and Sarah helps Extraordinary Girl teach. Jimmy is helping run Theo's liquor store "The Jesus Christ Supermarket" and Billie and Tre work as bounty hunters along with Tunny.
"Mama," Caleb said looking up at me.
"What baby?"
"Where's bubba?" Caleb asked. Bubba was an old teddy bear Heather gave him.
"Is he on your bed Caleb?"
"No,"
"Hmm," I said.
I walked to Caleb's room and looked under the bed. I pulled out bubba and handed him to Caleb. He hugged it and ran off.
"Where's Caleb going?" Mike said as he entered the room. I sat down on Calebs little trindle bed and said "Probably to flirt with Lucy," Mike laughed. Everyone knew little Caleb liked her. Mike sat down next to me and I rested my head on his shoulder. Its been a rough three weeks. Mike and I never had alone time anymore. Not since Caleb started coming out of his shell.
Mike kissed my head.
"What are we gonna do for christmas?" Mike asked me.
"I completely forgot. We could always put up a little tree and get Caleb a few gifts with our Rations," I said. The towns payment and money system was Rations, you get six for every four hour work shift, and with a eight hour work shift you can either buy two cans of soup and a loaf of bread, or a small toy.
"We could always put three Rations aside each day, then the day before go out and buy presents?" Mike asked.
"Yeah, that's probably the best idea,"
We sat in silence a moment. I looked around Caleb's room, I painted clouds on his ceiling and "Caleb" above his bed with a small can of paint Whatsername gave me.
It was around 11 in the morning, and I didn't have to work till 12, Mike works at night so he watches Caleb during the afternoon. I'm always home at 8 and Mike leaves for work. I don't see him till the next morning.
"I should get read and make Caleb's lunch," I said. I got up off the bed and kissed Mike's head. I walked out of the room and got read for work, then made Caleb a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I left it on the counter so when he came back in from playing he would see it.
I went out to the backyard and told Caleb I was leaving for work. I kissed him on the cheek and he gave me a hug. Mike came out with Caleb's lunch and he kissed me on the cheek as I said goodbye.
That's when I heard the gun shots.