Status: Finished

An Apocalypse Love Story

Trouble in Paradise

Gun shots exploded around us.
"Get Caleb inside!" Mike yelled.
I grabbed Caleb and little Lucy and ran for the house. There was a little closet at the end of the hall that we left empty, so i shoved the kids into the little space. I followed after they were in and i locked the closet from the inside.
"Mama?" Caleb asked. He looked like he was gonna cry.
"Oh don't worry baby it's okay, we're just playing hide n seek. You have to be very quiet, okay honey. Lucy are you okay?" I asked.
The little girl nodded causing her curly hair to fall in her face. I brushed it behind her ear and give her a smile, even though I'm screaming inside.
There were more screaming and glass being broken. Another round of amo was fired, and I heard a screech of tires. It continued like this for a while.
Then it quieted down a bit. I waited another 10 minuets till I decided to see what happened. I unlocked the door, telling the kids I would be back and that I loved them.
A window was shattered from a stray bullet. I unlocked the door and ran to the backyard. Mike laid motionless in the grass. I could see blood pouring out of a bullet shot in his calf.
"Mike! Oh god no! Mike," I screamed. I ran to where he was laying. He was breathing! He must just be unconsious.
"Mike, please wake up Mike, please!" I sobbed and i pressed on the wound to try to stop the blood. I took a bandanna out of my pocket and wrapped it around his calf.
Mike coughed, and opened his eyes.
"Abi," He whispered.
"Oh god, stay with me, please please stay with me!"
He grabbed my wrist.
"HELP! SOMEONE HELP!" I screeched.
I looked around frantically. Not one soul was any where near our house.
I wiped my eyes and said, "Okay Mike, I'm gonna try to stand you up okay? Bare with me okay," I said.
He nodded weakly.
I slid my arms under his arms and tried to pull him up. It was hard, Mike was twice the size as me. He grabbed my shoulder and tried standing, only to stumble and almost fall.
"Okay, one foot in front of the other," I said.
I half dragged, half carried Mike inside and sat him down on a chair at the kitchen table.
I grabbed a first aid kit and got to work. I never cleaned a bullet wound before, but I tried my best. When I was remotely satisfied, I left him at the kitchen table and ran to find help.