Status: Finished

An Apocalypse Love Story

abi + mike

"We should probably pull over huh?" I asked Mike. He and I were the only ones still awake.
"I guess,"
"Come on," I whispered.
I climbed out of the hummer and closed my door quietly. Mike did the same. We hopped up onto the hood of the hummer. We laid there for a while, looking at the stars. Our fingers were almost touching.
"Sometimes I miss coffee,like really miss it," Mike said after a while.
I laughed softly, "I bet you do,"
"It's weird. The stars can last for billions of years, and we only last hundreds,"
"Stars are unfair," I agreed.
Mike rolled onto his side and proped his head up with his hand. I did the same. I looked into his blue eyes, and he looked into mine. Mike reached out his hand and smudged the war paint off my face with his thumb.
I laughed, "What are you doing?"
"You shouldn't wear this stuff, it covers your freckles,"
I rolled my eyes.
Mike moved closer. From here I could see he was covered in grime.
" I miss how it use to be abi, how you could walk down the street- when we still had streets of course- and like walk your dog or like go for a jog. Now if you did that you and your dog would get eaten by zombies," mike said thoughtfully.
"well there's still Oreos in the world so it can't be that bad,"
"Oh, I know its not that bad,"
" Oh really?"
"Yes, your here so I'm set," Mike promised.
" Is this your way of proposing?"
"I suppose, but we don't have rings. Wait -" He pulled a bandanna out of his pocket and ripped it in half. " Your arm my lady," he asked.
I held out my arm. He tied half of it to my wrist like a bracelet. He tied the other half to his.
"I now pronounce us Mike and Abi, you may now kiss the hummer, " I said.
Of course he didn't kiss the hummer, but me instead.
After a long night of laughs and plans Mike and I climbed into the passenger seat and fell asleep. You would think it would be really uncomfortable but actually the seats are really big so it was perfect for the two of us.
I woke up with someone petting my hair.
" Good morning sunshine," Mike whispered.
I yawned and stretched my toes. " status report, " I mumbled sleepily.
" Everyone's still asleep but, I thought we should get going,"
" okay,"
I climbed over the console and into the driver seat. I glanced down at my bandanna bracelet and smiled.