Status: Finished

An Apocalypse Love Story

Survivor in Oakland

We arrived in Oakland around dusk. It was really depressing seeing all the broken glass of the store fronts and the scattered cars
We split up and each picked a partner. Tre and Sarah, Amber and Billie, Johnny and Jimmy, Me and Mike. Jimmy and Johnny went off to find blankets and first aid kits. Tre and Sarah wondered off to gather more food. Billie and amber ran off to find more batteries and other essentials. Mike and I looked for survivors.
There were only a handful of zombies in the whole town. No big deal, Mike had three out cold before i even turned around.
Mike and I ended up only finding one survivor. A little boy, hidden behind a counter in a local store. He only looked about five, and had sandy blond hair and bright green eyes. He was crying. I scooped him into my arms and rocked him.
"What's your name honey?" I asked wiping hes tears with my thumb.
"Caleb," he whispered.
"Don't worry Caleb, we're the good guys, okay? we're gonna protect you," I said.
"But, mommy went away, where's mommy?"
I looked at Mike. He nodded.
"Listen buddy, your mommy isn't here right now. But we have to get you safe okay?" Mike said to the little boy in my arms.
Caleb nodded and wrapped his little arms around my neck. We carried him back to the bus and Mike waited inside with Caleb while I went back out. I waited for the others to return.
Amber and Billie were the first ones back., they were carrying bags full of supplies. I told them about Caleb before they stepped onto the bus steps, I didn't want them scaring him.
A little while after, Tre and Sarah arrived carrying boxes full of canned food. I took a box from Tre and started climbing the steps of the bus. But I looked back and saw Jimmy limping towards us, blankets and first aid kits in hand, but no Johnny.
"Where's Johnny?" I called out.
"He's dead," Jimmy said when he approached, head down.