Status: Finished

An Apocalypse Love Story

Just keep swimming

"What?!" I said, almost dropping the box i was holding.
"We got ambushed by four of them and before he could get his gun up they tackled him. I shot down three of them and the other one crawled away, but before I could get to him, he was,"
he swallowed, "Gone,"
I could tell hes been crying, there were black lines down his face from where his tears slid pass his war paint. I tried to hug him but he pushed me away and handed me the blankets and first aid kits. I stood there for a minuet till Mike came out.
He pressed me against his side and rubbed my back. I rested my head on his chest.
"We should get going," Mike whispered into my ear.
I nodded and wiped my eyes dry. I didn't want anyone else to see me cry. Especially Caleb. When we climbed into the bus, Sarah was bandaging Jimmy's ankle and Billie was tuning a beat up guitar.
I started driving north. The ride was long and quiet. About 25 miles after, I pulled over and we all crawled into bed. Mike and I let Caleb have out bunk and I tucked him in with our new blankets. I kissed his forehead and Mike and I curled up on one of the couches.
I dreamed that Johnny came back and attacked us. And that Jimmy pushed us all towards Johnny so he could save the Oreos.
When I woke I reached for Mike's hand. He was still deeply sleeping, but him laying next to me made me relax. I couldn't fall back to sleep so I decided to start driving.
When everyone else started waking up we were almost out of California.
When Mike woke up he kissed my cheek and slumped into the passenger seat.
"My fingers feeling better," he yawned.
"That's good. Is Caleb up yet?" I asked.
"No, still sound asleep,"
We sat in comfortable silence for awhile. Billie stumbled over and leaned on my chair.
He yawned and said "Your bundle of joy as awoken,"
"oh, okay, Mike do you mind taking over?" I asked him.
"No, go on,"
I slid out of the driver seat and mike sat down. I walked to the bunks.
"Good morning sunshine," I said to Caleb.
"Where's mommy?" he said teary eyed.
oh great.
"Um, you want a pop tart?"
Caleb nodded and i scooped him up and carried him to the mini kitchen. I set him down at the table and opened a box of pop tarts and handed him one. He ripped open the package and ate, flinging crumbs everywhere.
"Jeez kid, slow down," Jimmy said as he entered and sat down across from Caleb.
Caleb held out a piece of his pop tart out to Jimmy. Jimmy looked up at me and took the piece of pop tart. I think Jimmy secretly likes Caleb. It would make since, they both lost someone they cared about.
"You think you can watch him for 10 minuets so I can get a shower?" I asked Jimmy.
He nodded as he accepted another piece of pop tart from Caleb.
******* Amber's P.O.V.************
I woke up and ran a comb through my hair. I wasn't that hungry, but i went to the kitchen anyways. Jimmy and the little boy Abi rescued were already in there.
"How yea feelin'?" I asked Jimmy.
Jimmy shrugged but didn't look at me, he was watching Caleb.
Caleb offered me his last piece of pop tart, I declined. I ruffled Caleb's hair and went to find Bille. He was in the passenger seat talking to Mike about town plans.
I kissed his head, "hey baby," I said.
"Hey," he got up and hugged me.
He led me back to the kitchen and grabbed a breakfast bar. Caleb was still sitting at the table but Jimmy was gone. Billie and I stood in the kitchen for a little bit until Jimmy came back carrying the package of Oreos. He stopped dead when he saw us. He tried hiding them behind his back but we already knew what he was going to do. Jimmy slid an oreo to Caleb. Caleb gobbled it down like a starving dog.
"What you did there, I saw it," Billie said as he gave a little smirk.
"Shut up," Jimmy said.
I led Billie back to the bunks. I drew the curtain dividing the kitchen and the hallway leading to the bunks close. I kissed him and curled my fingers into his mess of black hair.
Between kisses Billie said, "We really shouldn't,"
"You're right, I guess," I said.
"What you just did right there, I saw it,"
I turned and saw Jimmy in the little hallway smirking and with Caleb next to him giggling. I threw a balled up shirt at Jimmy, but he ducked right in time.
He laughed and turned to go back to the kitchen.
"What's going on?" Sarah asked as she climbed from one of the top bunks looking bedraggled.
"Nothing," I blushed, "absolutely nothing,"
♠ ♠ ♠
good enough amber?!