Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

You can take everything I have

“You know, you shouldn’t keep skipping class this close to graduation,” Paul joked as they walked down the path to First Beach. Kaelyn came straight to Paul’s after visiting with Dr. Bensen. She didn’t want to go to school, but at the same time, it was hard being alone with her mother.

“Yeah, but everything is so boring right now,” Kaelyn laughed. Paul looked at her and frowned. Her scent had changed even more drastically than before. He thought she smelled different before, but now there was an obvious abnormality. It was driving him insane not knowing, but he didn’t know how to bring it up without revealing how he knows.

“So anything new happening with you?” He asked, trying to be subtle.

“Not really. I’m looking forward to graduating and going to college back in Florida.”

“What?” Paul stopped walking and stared at her.

“You’ve never mentioned anything about leaving Washington. What’s going on with you?” Paul asked incredulously. Kaelyn stiffened and turned to face him, not liking the idea of being cornered.

“Nothing is going on with me. I’m going to Florida for college. I miss it there and Washington doesn’t have anything to offer me…”

“Nothing to offer you? So I’m nothing to you?” Paul asked, hurt laced in every word. He had no idea why Kaelyn was acting this way, but I made his heart ache. He thought that their friendship was worth something more than that.

“No, Paul. You’re my best friend, you know that I care for you. But I miss Florida, and I want to go back—“

“No, you’re hiding something,” Paul stopped her done trying to beat around the bush.

“I’m not hiding anything,” Kaelyn denied, her heart rate picking up. Paul noticed the change with his sensitive hearing, and it made him angrier.

“I can tell that you are! You’re nervous and avoiding my question. Kaelyn, just tell me what’s wrong and why you smell so weird!” He snapped, not thinking about what he was saying. Kaelyn’s pent up emotions finally burst out.

“Smell weird?! It’s none of your business, Paul! If I wanted you to know, then I would tell you. But I haven’t so stop poking around in my life!” Kaelyn screamed, cheeks flushed with frustration. Paul tried to keep himself in check, but he was starting to shake uncontrollably, on the verge of shifting.

“I just want to help you—“

“I didn’t ask for your help!” That was all it took. Paul managed to put a small amount of distance between them before his inner wolf took over and forced him to shift. Kaelyn stared in shock at the wolf in front of her. Paul’s clothing was in shreds on the ground nearby. Kaelyn took a few steps back but was stopped by a large tree against her back. The wolf whined and tried to come closer, but Kaelyn threw her hands out in front of her.

“No! Stay there! What the hell just happened?” She asked the last part quietly to herself. There was a commotion somewhere to her left before Sam and Jacob came running towards her and the wolf or Paul… Whatever he was…

“Paul! What the hell? Get yourself in control and go back to my house,” Sam commanded. The wolf lowered its head before turning on its heels and taking off. Jacob was beside Kaelyn in a heartbeat.

“Are you okay?” He asked gently.

“No! What happened to Paul?! I must be dreaming…” Kaelyn muttered and rubbed her face harshly with her hands. Jacob and Sam shared a look before Jacob turned back to Kaelyn.

“You’re not dreaming. Let’s go to Sam’s house and we can explain everything.” Jacob gently took her arm in his and led her back towards Sam’s house that was closer down to First Beach. Kaelyn heard the guys trying to talk to her, but she couldn’t focus on them. Her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts and emotions, and right now was not a good time trying to sort them out.

When they arrived back at Sam’s, Emily was waiting for them on the front porch. She had a worried frown on her face and her arms were crossed over her chest. Sam jogged over to her and started talking to her, but Jacob and Kaelyn were too far away for her to hear any of it. Emily finally nodded and led the group into the kitchen where Paul was already sitting at the table.

Paul looked up when they walked in and immediately found Kaelyn with his eyes. Kaelyn stopped where she was and looked at Paul carefully. He looked like he was back to normal.

“Why don’t you sit down so we can explain some things to you?” Sam asked quietly. Kaelyn just shook her head.

“No, I’m fine standing. Thank you,” She mumbled still too wary to sit down next to Paul who only minutes ago burst into a wolf… Sam nodded and was the first one to speak.

“Kaelyn, do you remember those stories about our tribe that were told at the bonfires? The wolves and the cold ones?” Sam inquired. Jacob took a seat next to Paul, and Emily was standing by Sam, giving him her support.

“Yeah…”

“Those stories weren’t just legends. They’re true. Certain members of our tribe carry a specific gene and when activated, they can turn into a wolf—“

“You’re kidding me. You want me to believe that you guys are werewolves?!” Kaelyn asked incredulously.

“We prefer the term shapeshifter and yes,” Jacob added from the table. Kaelyn saw Paul nod softly as well.

“Kaelyn, you saw Paul transform. It’s not like we are trying to tell you this without you having seen the proof,” Sam explained. Kaelyn’s brain was quickly trying to comprehend this new tidbit, and it was coming up with more questions than Kaelyn could ask.

“If you guys are the wolves, what are the cold ones?” The three boys looked at each other, but it was Emily who answered her.

“The cold ones are the vampires living nearby.”

“Vampires?! You just lost me again. Now I’m supposed to believe there are vampires too? What’s next? Big Foot lives in the woods and mermaids in the ocean?” Kaelyn threw her hands in the air and turned to leave, but a hand grabbed her arm and made her stay.

“Kaelyn, please just listen to us. We’re not lying to you. Why would we want to?” Paul asked softly, his eyes full of pain. Kaelyn looked up from his large hand and into his eyes. She took a deep breath and nodded. Paul let go and led her over to one of the chairs so she could finally sit down.

“Okay. So vampires and wolves. Who are the vampires?” Kaelyn asked once they were all seated again.

“We can’t tell you because of a treaty we have with them, but you aren’t in any trouble. They only live off the blood of animals and leave humans alone,” Sam said before Paul could tell her about the Cullens. Sam knew about her connection with them and didn’t want any unnecessary drama. The Cullens would tell her when they were ready to.

“Of course… What about you guys? Are all of you shapeshifters?”

“The three of us are, and there are more, but Emily isn’t. She’s Sam’s imprint,” Paul said.

“Imprint?” Kaelyn asked softly.

“She’s like my soul mate. My inner wolf chose her and she chose me back. It’s a very deep bond,” Sam tried to explain. Kaelyn wanted to know more, but she got the gist of what he was saying.

“What else do I need to know?” Kaelyn asked.

“You know just about everything. We can shift if we don’t have control over our emotions. You saw that with Paul today. He couldn’t control his emotions and shifted because of it. Normally, we all have them in check, but there are some exceptions,” Sam explained.

“Kaelyn, can I talk to you alone?” Paul asked suddenly. He was done with this group session and was ready to talk to his friend by himself and explain why he got so upset. Kaelyn slowly nodded and followed Paul outside. They sat down on a porch swing and looked out at the many trees surrounding Sam’s house.

“So you’re a wolf. Who would have guessed?” Kaelyn tried to joke.

“I don’t want this to change anything. I didn’t get a choice in any of this. I was born with the gene and once the vampires moved here, it was activated and I changed against my will. It was difficult and terrifying at first, but I love it now. The pack is my family, and I’m happy that I have them. But I’m also happy I have you. I don’t want to lose you; I don’t want you to go back to Florida,” Paul told her. Kaelyn’s heart clenched, and she leaned her head on his shoulder.

“I don’t want to lose you either… Paul, do you have an imprint?” Kaelyn asked carefully. Paul was quiet for a long time, and Kaelyn thought he wasn’t going to answer, but he finally did.

“No… I don’t have one,” He answered. Kaelyn felt a sense of relief fill her because the last thing she wanted was to be Paul’s imprint and die right after finding out and leave him alone to try to cope with it.

“I’m sorry for how I acted earlier. You didn’t deserve any of the things I said to you, and I’m not going back to Florida…” Kaelyn whispered. Paul wrapped an arm around her and inhaled deeply.

“One of the good things about being a wolf is that I have enhanced senses. I can pick up on subtle scents and sounds. That’s what I was talking about earlier when I said you smelled weird,” Paul explained.

“You can smell me?”

“Each person has their own unique scent, but yours has started to change and I was confused, but I could never ask you about it without you knowing how I knew. Do you know why you’re scent is changing?” Paul asked as they gently swung back and forth.

“I don’t know… What does it smell like?” Kaelyn asked feeling curious.

“Your original scent is fresh and clean with some kind of flower probably from your shampoo. But now it’s turning bitter almost like you’re getting sick. When people get a cold or the flu, their scent smells more musky. You’re starting to smell like that,” Paul tried to get her to understand.

Kaelyn connected the dots and knew exactly what he could smell. She decided that he had the right to know. He shared his deepest secret with her, and now it was her turn.

“Yeah, I know what’s happening. Paul, I need to tell you something…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait! School starting again has been rough :P Enjoy the update and look forward to the upcoming conversation with Paul! <3