Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

Go on and try to tear me down; I will be rising from the ground

Emmett sat outside on the back porch, bouncing a tennis ball off one of the columns in front of him. The spring air was slowly warming with the coming summer, but he didn’t find any pleasure in the change in weather.

“You know, there are more productive things you could be doing with your time,” Alice said from the doorway. Emmett caught the ball and watched Alice close the back door behind her.

“What do you want? It’s late,” Emmett added. The only light outside was the moon and a small light that had a motion detector on it.

“I spent the day with Kaelyn—“

“I know. I can smell her on you,” Emmett cut her off and squeezed the small, green ball in his hand.

“We went to Port Angeles to get graduation dresses, and we ran into Paul Lahote,” Alice filled in. Emmett snarled under his breath. He knew the wolf and Kaelyn were close, but he didn’t want to hear about it.

“Why are you telling me this?” He grumbled.

“I thought you would want to know that they look awful cozy together. Maybe too cozy…”
“It’s none of my business, Alice. Kaelyn and I ended things and talked about it. Everything between us is over. She can see whoever she wants to see,” Emmett mumbled, the pain evident in his eyes.

“Why are you doing this to yourself? Why are you denying what you want? She’s your singer, Emmett. You can’t just let her go. So what if Rosalie is unhappy about it? She’ll get over herself. It’s not like you two are getting back together anyway. Your relationship is ruined anyway. So why are you still holding back when we all know what you really want to do?” Alice asked, venting to the other. Emmett looked at her a little shocked. Alice wasn’t known for little bursts of emotions.

“Alice, it’s not that easy anymore. Kaelyn and I, we’ve been through too much to be in a relationship now. And I know that we could keep a hold on Rosalie, but she’ll make our lives a living hell, and what if we slack off and she does manage to hurt Kaelyn? I don’t want to risk any of that. I’ve hurt her enough so let her be happy with someone besides me,” Emmett explained.

“Even if that person is a wolf?”

“Yes,” Emmett said, resigned. Alice shook her head and left her brother alone. Why did men have to be so dense all the time? He was only making it harder on himself.

Emmett watched Alice walk inside and looked down at his tennis ball. He hadn’t noticed he popped it when he squeezed it…

~*~

“Are you sure this is what you want to do?” Lila asked her daughter as she flipped through the hospital pamphlet.

“Yes, Mom. They’ll take care of everything. I don’t want to put that burden on you,” Kaelyn explained.

“I don’t mind, but if this is what you want then I’ll do it. Just let me give them a call.” Lila grabbed the kitchen phone and dialed the hospital’s number. It was the one Dr. Bensen recommended to Kaelyn. They had a hospice wing that would keep her comfortable until her time came to an end.

Kaelyn went into her room and started packing up some of her things. She would bring a few to the hospital with her for comfort, but she also wanted to pack up some of her room so it wouldn’t be left for her mother to do alone. Today was the last day of school, then Saturday was graduation, and then Sunday they were transferring her to Seattle. Kaelyn took a deep breath and packed a few more things before grabbing her backpack and keys.

The drive to school was short, and Alice was waiting for her next to Kaelyn’s usual parking spot. The good thing about a small school is that there is less competition.

“Good morning!” Alice chimed and linked arms with the blonde.

“Morning.”

“Are you excited for tomorrow? We finally get to graduate,” Alice said as they walked.

“Yeah, I can’t wait,” Kaelyn said with a genuine smile. She was excited about graduating, but it was what was happening after that she wasn’t excited for.

“Is Paul coming?” Alice asked.

“He’s going to try to, but he has to work on Saturday. I’m going to spend the day with him today after school.”

“You two would make a very cute couple,” Alice piped in. Kaelyn laughed and nodded.

“If we weren’t such good friends that might have been a possibility. But now we don’t want to ruin what we have by making it into something else,” Kaelyn explained. The two walked into the building and went their separate ways.

The class started and their teacher wanted to make a quick announcement.

“Everyone, the graduation ceremony begins at noon. Please be there by eleven so we can check your cap and gown. Make sure you are still following the school dress code. The rest of the period, you may talk amongst yourselves. Congratulations on making it through high school. I wish you all luck and hope you have fun.” Kaelyn smiled when her teacher finished talking.

The rest of the day was similar. None of the teachers had anything for them to do in class. All the exams were taken and the homework was graded so they just let everyone hang out. When the dismissal bell rang, Kaelyn made a beeline to her car. Paul was going to meet her at her house.
Kaelyn pulled into the driveway and got out of her car to go inside. Lila was in the kitchen cleaning up.

“You got home fast,” She commented with a grin.

“I wanted to beat Paul here,” Kaelyn laughed.

“How long will you be with him today?” Her mother asked as they both sat down on the couch.

“Probably until later tonight. He and the guys wanted to get some Kaelyn time in before graduation tomorrow,” Kaelyn smiled.

“I’m happy you have Paul in your life. He’s been good for you,” Lila commented and tucked a loose section of Kaelyn’s hair behind her ear.

“Me too,” Kaelyn agreed. The doorbell rang, but the door opened before either girl could get up. Paul walked in and frowned.

“Dang, I was trying to get here before you and get your mom to make me cookies,” Paul grumbled. Lila laughed and pushed her daughter to stand up.

“You guys have fun. Don’t keep her out all night, Paul. She’s graduating tomorrow!” She called after them. Paul saluted her and opened the door for Kaelyn to get in.

“I’ll have her back by a reasonable hour!” Paul waved by to Lila and backed out of their driveway.

“Whose house are we going to?” Kaelyn asked as Paul drove.

“Sam’s. Everyone wanted to come over,” Paul grinned cheekily.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait! I had final exams for college, but I'm on break now. The next few chapters will be pretty short like this one. Ignore any mistakes and enjoy!