Status: I have left Mibba and moved to fanfiction.net. You can find the link in my profile.

Like a Skyscraper

You can break everything I am

Emmett glanced at the clock and grinned. It was just before dawn and he planned on picking Kaelyn up at 6. The vampire checked to make sure the coast was clear before he silently grabbed the keys to his jeep off the hooks on the wall.

“Emmett?” Cringing, said vampire turned around to see Esme looking at him questioningly with her arms crossed.

“Uh, yeah?” he asked as he scratched the back of his head.

“Just where are you going this early on a Saturday?” she asked him. Emmett held up a finger to his lips and walked closer to his adopted mother.

“Listen, I have plans with Kaelyn, but I don’t want anyone knowing because that will only cause drama. I'm only trying to sort out my feelings,” he whispered low enough that she would be the only vampire able to hear him. Esme’s eyes softened and she nodded with understanding.

“When will you be back?”

“Probably really late. It’s a small road trip…” he trailed off. Esme rested a hand on his shoulder and smiled.

“Don’t worry, I’ll cover for you.”

“Thanks, Esme,” Emmett grinned and kissed her cheek before leaving. Carlisle walked into the kitchen and wrapped his arms around his wife.

“What was that all about?” he asked into her ear softly. Esme grinned and leaned back into his chest.

“Oh nothing. I just needed Emmett to run a few errands for me,” she fibbed before turning around to kiss her husband. She only hoped that Emmett would find his happiness soon.

~*~

Emmett pulled up to Kaelyn’s house and jumped out of his jeep. He jogged up to her front door and lightly knocked. He didn’t want to wake up her mom just in case she was still sleeping. The door opened to reveal an older looking version of Kaelyn. She smiled gently at Emmett and stepped aside.

“You must be Emmett. Come in. I'm Lila, Kaelyn’s mom.” Emmett walked inside and smiled back at Lila.

“It’s nice to meet you. I’ll try to have Kaelyn back before it gets too late. It’s a 6 hour drive there and back,” Emmett explained.

“Don’t worry about it. You guys have fun. God knows Kaelyn needs it,” The last part she mumbled under her breath, but Emmett was able to hear it clearly.

“Kaelyn, Emmett is waiting!” Lila called into the house.

“Coming!” Kaelyn yelled and came rushing out from a hallway. She had a small backpack packed and thrown over one shoulder. The weather was starting to warm up so she was dressed in jean capris and a simple white v-neck.

“Sorry, I woke up late. I’m ready now. Bye, Mom. I love you,” Kaelyn said kissing her mom on the cheek and pulling Emmett out of the house. Emmett laughed at her excitement and started his jeep once they were both situated.

“Ready? We’ll stop after an hour to use the bathroom and eat. Okay?”

“Sounds good. Let’s go!” Kaelyn laughed. Emmett smiled gently at her and pulled out of the driveway.

~*~

“Look, we’re almost there. That’s the beginning to the bay. The docks are part of it,” Emmett explained once the town started to come into view.

“It’s beautiful,” Kaelyn whispered in awe. Emmett pulled into a side parking lot by the docks and parked.

“I have a surprise for you. Come on,” He said getting out and opened the car door for her. Kaelyn flashed him a breath taking smile.

“What is it?”

“You’ll see,” Emmett slowly slid his hand down to hold hers and gently tugged her to follow him. Kaelyn attempted to keep her blush down. Just because Emmett was holding her hand didn’t mean that he felt the same way about her. Besides, he was still with Rosalie…

“What are we doing on the docks?” Kaelyn persisted. Emmett just smirked and talked to a man that met them halfway on the docks. He grinned at Emmett and handed him a set of keys. Kaelyn raised an eyebrow and looked around.

“This way,” Emmett pulled her again further down the raised wood. They stopped at a locked gate in front of a sailboat.

“I rented this for the day.”

“You rented a sailboat?! You can sail?!” Kaelyn gaped. Emmett felt pride swell in his chest and nodded. He led Kaelyn onto the large boat and got her settled before he navigated the boat away from the shore and out onto the open sea.

Kaelyn glanced over her shoulder at Emmett as he adjusted a sail and fixed the steering wheel. She turned back to look ahead of them and closed her eyes as the morning, ocean breeze blew through her hair.

“Having fun?” Emmett asked as he sat down next to her. Kaelyn nodded and grinned happily.

“I've never been on a sailboat. A regular boat, yes, but never one of these,” she answered.

“I’m glad you're happy. I anchored us here; we’re pretty far from land.” Emmett looked over his shoulder and could barely see the speck of land behind them. Kaelyn looked too before leaning over and grabbing her bag. She unzipped it and took out a small urn. The blonde stared at it sadly. Emmett saw this and rested his hand on hers.

“You don’t have to dump his ashes you know…” he gave her hand a small squeeze.

“I know, but this is what he wanted,” Kaelyn answered with a forced smile. Slowly she unscrewed the lid and walked to the side of the boat. Emmett was beside her the whole time.

“Love you, Daddy,” she whispered and tipped the urn to let the ashes flow into the water. Some got caught in the breeze and floated further away. Kaelyn put the empty urn back into her bag before turning to Emmett and hugging him. Emmett was caught off guard, but held her tightly in his arms.

“I miss him…”

“I know, you’ll always miss him, but it gets better.”

“Thank you, Emmett.” The two stood together for a while before pulling apart and smiling.

“I brought food,” Emmett grinned and grabbed the small basket he packed that morning. Inside were grapes, two sandwiches, strawberries and water bottles. Kaelyn smiled and they sat down to eat. Emmett nibbled on things here and there to make it look normal even though human food tasted horrible to him.

The sky was cloudy, but the air was warm and it felt relaxing. Kaelyn laid down on the bow of the boat and closed her eyes. Emmett felt the overwhelming urge to kiss her, but he stopped himself and laid down next to her. He laced their fingers together and watched her smile still not opening her eyes.

Kaelyn knew that there was nothing between her and Emmett, but for the moment, she was going to soak it all in and enjoy it before they had to go back home. They stayed on the boat all day and watched the sun set on the horizon.

“I guess we should start heading back,” Emmett whispered and stood up so he could steer them back. Kaelyn felt disappointed that they had to leave, but her day with Emmett had been amazing. Slowly, the docks came back into view and Emmett pulled them into their designated sleeve. Emmett stepped off the boat first and held out his hand to help Kaelyn.

When Emmett walked back over to the man to give him the keys back, Kaelyn suddenly felt faint and wobbly. Holding her head, she tried to stay upright, but gravity worked against her and she began to fall towards the water beside her.

“Kaelyn!” Emmett grabbed her before she toppled over.

“Kaelyn, are you okay?” Kaelyn found it hard to focus on Emmett’s face, but she nodded anyway. He helped her stand on shaky legs and looked down at her in concern.

“I guess I haven’t found my land legs yet,” Kaelyn joked, but Emmett didn’t laugh. That looked more than just being unbalanced… He dropped the subject and led her back to his jeep. Kaelyn knew her mom would not be happy when she found out what happened…
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow it has been FOREVER... I'll be surprised if this story still has readers. I feel like I've abandoned it... Well here's the latest update. Drama will be all over the next chapter. It's gonna get crazy... (: Enjoy