All I Do Is Win

All I Do is Win

Puck jogged over. As Chic Tripp took in his post-football messy mohawk, she wondered how long it had been since they last spoke. Three weeks? Maybe four?

“Hey,” He says, out of breath. She wondered if he was seeing anyone right now.

“Hi,” Chic reply. She asks him how he’s been and he says fine. No mention of a girlfriend.

They step off the curb and cross into the sea of cars in the school parking lot.

“Cheerios practice?” He asked lamely.

“That would be why I’m wearing my uniform, yes...” Chic raised her blonde eyebrows at him. Puck blushed, but shrugged off the embarrassment quickly. Just like always.

“So, my mom had to drive Lizzie to Jamestown.” He offered as a side note. “And Finn wasn’t lifting so…”

Chic pulled her keys from her gym bag, “so you need a ride?”

“If you wouldn’t mind…”

“Not a problem.”

The car rumbled to life as Chic turned the ignition. The stereo turned on full blast, just the way she liked it, causing Puck to practically slam his head through the sunroof of the abnormally short, red sports car.

Chic smiled slyly as Puck grabbed his chest and regained steady breathing.

“You’d think I’d be used to that.” He joked.

While they don’t talk much during the car ride, it’s not an uncomfortable silence. Chic’s shiny silver rings that decorate her fingers clicked in time with the music as she tapped the steering wheel. Puck rifled through her glove compartment, trying to make sense of the disorder.

She snuck a few glances at his form. His broad figure didn’t match his curious boy-like facial expression as he read the car manual. He wrinkles his forehead as his mind works, a trait Chic always found endearing. For a boy, his eyelashes are full and a rich chocolate brown. He squinted his grey eyes ever so slightly as the Sun poured into the passenger window.

Chic knew Puck was stealing glances at her too, because as one red light turned green and she accelerated forward she feel his eyes wander from her face to her torso to her legs until they disappeared under the dash. She heard his breath catch when she flickered her eyes knowingly in his direction… but that didn’t stop him from peeking back over a few moments later.

They pulled into his driveway and both got out. Chic left the engine running.

She leaned casually against her car, thumbs playing with the edge of her Cheerios skirt. Puck shuffled next to her.

“So,” He drawled lazily in her ear, much closer than any two acquaintances typically stand.

“You’re welcome,” she replied, since she knew what he was going to say next. “You know I’m available anytime… for a ride, I mean.”

He smiled quirkily. “Yeah, I know.”

“See you around?”

“Mhmm.”

And with that, he kissed her. Chic’s body instantly obliged without any need for conscious thought. It was just that natural by now.

They remained embraced for a few seconds, then Puck released. With his smoky breath surrounding Chic, they both whisper goodbye.

Puck slid his hand from around Chic’s waist as she went to climb into the car. She hadn’t even realized his hand was there in the first place.

On the drive home, Chic doesn’t shake. She doesn’t smile stupidly, or panic insanely over what just happened. She was too used to this by now. The idea of analysis was completely disregarded, she doesn’t even think about it. It may as well have never happened, with how calm Chic felt.

Nothing would change. Puck and Chic lose touch. Puck needs her. Chic helps him. They kiss. They go their separate ways again though they both know that there is no real goodbye. That’s Puck and Chic. That’s just the way they are.

"It’s just a stupid little game," Chic let’s herself think as she rolls down her windows, "and all I do is win."