You're the Only One That I Want

You're the Only One that I Want

The choir room was abuzz with everyone talking about today’s assignment. Mr. Schue had told the Glee Club to work on songs this week that they believed would shape their future. Today, it was the boys’ turn.

Sam was excitedly telling Mercedes about how he had picked an obscure Liz Phair song, while Rachel was trying to explain to Finn that “Semi-Charmed Life” wasn’t ACTUALLY about singing “do do do” and having no worries. Maisie Spitz took in this whole scene while wondering where her boyfriend, Noah Puckerman, was.

His mohawked dome slipped into the room at the last moment, guitar in hand, just as Mr. Schue was stepping in front of the class. Puck took a seat right at the front of the room.

“Alright guys,” Mr. Schue said, clapping his hands together, “as you know this week’s assignment was to pick songs that best connected our present to what we believe, what we want, our futures to be. Guys, it’s all you today.”

“Uh, Mr. Schue?” Puck said, raising his hand. “I’d like to go first, if that’s cool.”

Mr. Schue smiled and offered the floor, “go right ahead, Puck.” Maisie watched her boyfriend with curiosity and thought, what is he up too?

Puck pulled over a stool and sat himself down on it, resting his smooth acoustic baby on his legs.

“Um, hey guys. Before I start I just have something I want to say.”

Maisie cocked her head and locked her brown eyes on Puck. Her equally brown hair was super long and hung with a natural straightness down her slender, petite body. She always had this way of leaning towards Puck whenever he was in the room, as if there was a strange but wonderful gravity between them. Crossing her ankles and swinging them over the floor, Maisie leaned forward towards him and rested her elbows on her knees. She bit her bottom lip quirkily as Puck smiled his bad boy smile and spoke.

“We are always told ‘it’s getting pretty serious for high school, you’re too young to be this involved.’

“We’re too young, they say. They say we are too young to be so connected with a person. That because we are in high school it is pointless and silly and doomed to fail. I say, how do you know?

“I say how can feeling this amazing be wrong? I say that there is no law that states ‘you must be this old to be in love.’ That’s idiotic. If you find love, you hold onto it, no matter if you’re 9 or 90. To feel love is the greatest thing in the world. How dare people put an age on that feeling?

“‘It’s doomed to fail,’ they say. Last time I checked, not every ‘adult’ relationship worked out. And not every high school sweetheart was inevitably going to break your heart in two. It’s a risk at any age. A risk worth taking.

“My point is, I am in high school and in love. And I’m happy about it. And I’m not counting down the days to the downfall like all the other pessimists out there. So, I guess what I’m saying it, this song is for Maisie.”

All the girls in the room looked towards Maisie with a mixture of envy and adoration. Kurt nudged her gently in the ribs, as if to say look at that- you tamed the wild man. But Maisie never felt like she had to “tame” Puck. Their relationship, the connection Puck had talked about, was natural from the moment they met. The two of them were just meant to be.

The sound of the guitar filled the room like a sweet scent. Adele, “One and Only.” It was a song Maisie had loved and listened to hundreds of times before...

“You’ve been on my mind, I grow fonder every day,
Lost myself in time, just thinking of your face,
God only knows why it’s taken me so long to let my doubts go,
You’re the only one that I want.”