Sequel: Volver a Tus Brazos

The Thrill Is Gone

Thoughts Unlike Her Own

The New Year brought with it a change in the manner that News of the World sought to handle the pending case against them and their reporter. They no longer felt themselves capable of winning the trial. In fact, the opposite rang true. With all the evidence mounted against their employee and newspaper, it was obvious that despite their best efforts, they were going to be found guilty, something that they couldn’t afford. That verdict would set a precedent for future cases, making the celebrities and public figures that their newspaper reported on, more confident in pursuing a case against them. That would be disastrous for their publication, surely lead to their ruin, so they had to put a stop to it as best they could, and the only way they could accomplish that was by settling out of court.

So the legal team from News of the World got in contact with Paulina’s lawyers. They inquired as to whether or not it’d be possible to set up a private meeting in early February. Her lawyers inquired as to what the meeting would pertain to, a simple question to ask. They were lawyers, they wanted to be prepared for the meeting, and do any necessary research, but the legal team from News of the World didn’t say much, all they said was that they were to discuss a delicate subject matter, and that they thought it best if Paulina was present alongside her three lawyers.

Despite not being pleased with their unwillingness to disclose the content of the meeting, Paulina’s lawyers agreed to it. They were curious to hear what News of the World had to say, if they were going to try to negotiate a settlement which would save their client from the newspaper’s photographers or if they were going to offer a financial settlement. They had a feeling it would be the latter, and they shared that feeling with Paulina, whom as soon as she heard it, swore that she wasn’t going to take a pound from News of the World. There was no way she was going to settle with them out of court. She wanted them to be made an example of by the judiciary system. That way photographers and reporters would think twice before invading her privacy.

Had the representatives from News of the World been aware of her firm stance, they would’ve come up with another way to approach her, they would’ve spent hours brainstorming how to get her to drop the charges, but they walked into the meeting confident that they would have their way. No one in their right mind would turn down the offer they were there to make, no one at all.

“Miss Balcázar,” spoke Veronica, in a respectful tone. “As you well know, this trial has had an adverse impact on our organization. Our practices and scruples have suddenly come under fire, and it has made for a most trying time for all the employees at News of the World, which is why our employer has decided to reach out to you, in hopes that we might settle out of court.”

“There is, after all, no need to see the trial to end.” Matthias took over. He was a man in his mid forties with a severe expression.

“I'm sorry, Sir, but I disagree with you. I think it’s crucial I see this trial to the end.” Paulina hadn’t planned on addressing the lawyers, she was just going to refuse them at the end, but she couldn’t help but join in on the conversation. “How else am I supposed to protect my privacy?”

“Your privacy will be protected.” Matthias assured her. “Our organization is prepared to forego stationing photographers and reporters outside your home. We would only follow you when you are outside Oxford with His Royal Highness.”

“And that’s not all.” Veronica opened a manila folder and took out a contract. “If you and your team would take a moment to read this, I believe you would find that News of the World wants nothing more than to end this amicably. The newspaper is prepared to steer clear of you in Oxford, and also, if you were to agree to having the case dropped, there would be a one million pound financial settlement, which in dollars would be 1.6 million.”

It would be a lie to say that the large sum didn’t tempt her. It was easy to turn it down when the offering was theoretical, it was easy to say that she’d never in a million years accept money from them when it hadn’t actually been offered to her, but then it was offered to her, they had a contract drawn up stating that no one would ever find out, it would be hush money that would go undetected. And for a moment, brief as it was, she thought about everything she could do with $1.6 million. She could finish law school without going a cent in debt, she could buy herself a little cottage in England, somewhere she could run off to with Harry, she’d have enough money to fly back to England as often as she wanted. The possibilities were endless with that much money, but the temptation it offered wasn’t enough for her to accept.

“No offense, but my self respect is worth a lot more than a million pounds.” She watched as Veronica parted her lips to speak, they’d been authorized to offer up to two million, but before she could tell Paulina that, she was cut off. “You’re wasting your time here. I won’t settle out of court with News of the World. Why would I? The evidence against the newspaper is insurmountable.”

“Miss Balcázar, I must insist your reconsider.” Veronica urged. “Only think –”

“I won’t reconsider.” Paulina wasn’t going to waste their time by pretending to think seriously on their offer. “I know you’re only doing your job, and that’s fine, but I'm not accepting this.” She slid the contract across the table. “I won’t be bought. And if that was all you wished to discuss at the meeting, then I think we’re done here. Or is there anything else you’d like to say?”

“You’re making a terrible mistake.” Matthias warned her.

“Are you threatening me?” Her eyes narrowed. “Are you really going to threaten me in front of my lawyers?”

“Not threatening you, Miss. Not at all, I'm simply advising you that your refusing the offer would be quite the unfortunate decision. Its a million pounds, Miss. That’s quite a bit of money. And if this were to be seen to the end in the usual manner, then I daresay you’re not likely to receive more than a tenth of that in damages.”

“Then I think it’s a good thing that I'm not after money.” Paulina retorted.

“Indeed, Miss.” Eloise commented, looking quite pleased with her client. “Well, I do believe there is nothing left to discuss. Not now that our client has made it perfectly clear that she will not be bought.”

It was Gloria’s turn to speak. “The next time you call us to a meeting, I want you to take a moment to think if it’s worth having, because this was a joke.”

“I beg your pardon.” Veronica’s face flushed with color.

“You heard me.” Gloria said with a hint of a smirk. “This meeting was a joke. I flew in from California to be here, because I thought it was going to be something important, something worth the flight over, but instead you brought us here to witness our client be insulted.”

“We’ve not disrespected Miss Balcázar.” Veronica argued. “It is us whom have been treated most poorly.”

“You brought her here to try to bribe her into stopping the trial from moving forward. And the worst part’s that you were so confident that she’d agree to it, but you should’ve known better. Miss Balcázar is not up for sale, especially not to News of the World.” Gloria stood up. “Do make that clear to your employer. I’d hate for you lot to approach Miss Balcázar with the same offer, because then I’d find myself forced to inform the authorities that you are trying to undermine the law.”

“Don’t worry,” assured Matthias. “We won’t be making that mistake again.”

They left shortly after that, not thinking it necessary to remain there any longer. What had to be discussed had already been settled. To remain any longer would have been a waste of time, and it would have certainly led to a lively argument between Gloria and the opposing attorneys. She didn’t care for them. In fact, she actively disliked them, which was something quite out of the ordinary for her. Even when Gloria was involved in heated lawsuits, she always managed to hold some shred of respect for the opposing attorneys. They were doing their jobs, trying to find a way to make the law suit their needs, and she could respect that, that was precisely what she was doing.

But she hated the way the attorneys looked down at her client. They stared at her with disapproving eyes, scrutinizing her every move. It was as if they were trying to figure out whether or not she was worthy of being with their Prince, and their gaze always made it obvious that they didn’t think her up to par. She was nothing more than an American that was more trouble than she was worth, but despite that, she’d be followed about. She was too high profile a figure not to be.

“I’ve never met more disagreeable people in all my life.” Alexander huffed as they entered their awaiting vehicle. “The nerve of them to offer her money, as if she could be paid off with the money that they’ve earned by stalking her!” he was polite in his contempt, a far cry from what Gloria was like.

“They’re a bunch of fucking elitist pricks.” Those were the strong words Gloria used. “And the thing I hate most is how polite they try to make themselves sound while they’re insulting her. If you’re going to be an asshole, then be an asshole. Don’t dance around it. That’s what I’ve always said. But no, they were sitting across from us putting on airs of nobility.”

“Veronica is actually a member of the aristocracy.” Eloise informed them. “Her father’s an Earl, which gives her quite a bit of self importance. Matthias simply behaves in that manner, because . . . well, I suppose that’s how everyone from News of the World comports. They think themselves a cut above the company, and believe that their money allows them to bypass the law, and do as they wish.”

“So making bribes is common practice for them?” asked Paulina from her seat beside Alexander.

“It is, unfortunately.” Alexander replied. “That’s why it’s so difficult to land a proper case against them. They’re always paying off whoever it is they’ve wronged, and if they can’t manage that, then they turn to officials and judges. More often than not, they’re able to avoid going to trial. In fact, I believe they made an attempt at that, but since you are such a highly watched person of interest, they weren’t able to buy a judge. Then again, your being such a public figure might have very well kept them from approaching any judges.”

“Any sort of bribe, however discreetly made, would have surely been picked up by the other papers.” Eloise commented. “I believe that’s why they’ve let the legal system carry on without impediment from them. And I think they’re terrified of what will happen to them at the end of trial.”

“The reporter’s going to prison. No doubt about that.” Gloria joined in the discussion. “From what I’ve read up on the Royal phone hacking scandal, the culprits there got four and six months in prison. So I'm fairly confident this one will get somewhere in between that amount. That’ll send a strong message to the rest of the media. Though, if I'm going to be honest, I can’t be sure of how much News of the World will be ordered to pay in damages,” she said.

“It’ll be what Matthias had mentioned.” Eloise stated. “£100,000 in damages will be awarded, perhaps more. I’d like to take more from them if we can, really make a dent in their accounts.”

“Whatever they give me, just know that I intend to split the damages with you three.” Paulina knew it was the right thing to do. “You deserve if for all the long hours you’ve been putting into this trial.”

“Nonsense!” exclaimed Alexander, appearing rather offended by the offer. “We need no payment. Our purpose in being your representation has never been to get some sort of financial reward. All we wish to do is deliver a blow to that bastard Murdoch. He’s trying to monopolize the media, something which can not be allowed to happen. And this, we hope, will prove to have a severely adverse impact on any of his future dealings.”

“Exactly,” agreed Eloise. “Any financial settlement the court awards you, will be yours alone to do as you see fit. Do not worry about us. We’re well looked after, Miss Balcázar. Truly, we are. But do know that we are touched you would think to share your future settlement with us, but I do believe there are more important manners in which you could spend the settlement.”

“Law school, perhaps,” Gloria reminded. “I'm sure the sum will come in handy for that.”

“It would,” admitted Paulina. She’d recently started applying for scholarships. In hopes of bringing down what she’d have to pay out of pocket for her law degree.

“Have you heard back from anyone yet?” asked Gloria. She’d written a letter of recommendation for Paulina, and was curious to hear where she’d gotten into. “I remember you saying you were eager to get into Harvard.”

“I am.” Paulina was honored that Gloria had remembered that. “But I haven’t heard back from any of the schools yet. Their decision letters don’t arrive until late March, so I have a little over a month left of panicking.” She laughed awkwardly. “Hopefully since my birthday is around the same time, I’ll get some good news. If I can get into Harvard that’d be brilliant, but I’d be happy with Stanford letting me back in.”

“I'm sure you’ll have your pick of them.”

Gloria wasn’t just saying that to be polite. She genuinely believed that her client would be accepted into every university she applied to. She had an impeccable academic record, and more importantly, she had gotten two immensely important public figures to write her letters of recommendation. There was no way someone was going to pass on a student that had been praised by Senator Ted Kennedy and the illustrious Gloria Allred.

Perhaps an admissions director might overlook Gloria if they weren’t particularly fond of her legal record, but not Senator Kennedy. The Kennedy family had an unimaginable pull in America, especially at Harvard where so many of them had graduated from. It was a given that Paulina would get in, even if her grades had been the sort that left much to be desired, she would’ve gotten in solely based on her connection to the Kennedy’s. That was just the sort of pull they had, but Paulina didn’t allow herself to think that way.

Everyone that applied to Harvard Law was accomplished, a cut above the rest. Their transcripts boasted of their abilities in the classroom, their applications went on about the various organizations they participated in and the community service they did. That’s what worried Paulina. She was terrified that she’d fail to impress the admissions officers. That they’d take a look at her application and then cast it aside, crushing one of her life goals in the process. Harvard was where she’d always dreamt of going, and the thought of not getting in, of not being good enough, kept her up at night.

So she couldn’t enjoy Gloria’s reassuring smile as much as she should’ve. She couldn’t take comfort in her kind words. Not when her mind was racing at the thought of the future. There was nothing that terrified Paulina more than the future. Sure, she liked to think she had it all planned out. What she wanted to do, by when she wanted to do it. She had all that figured out, but as of late, she’d been realizing how much easier it is to be certain of the future when you’re sixteen years old and are so far from being even close to it. It was a very different experience being twenty-three years old, in a relationship, and facing whether or not what she’d always wanted to happen, would come to be, and whether or not, she’d be pleased by it.

Because lately, she’d been having thoughts that weren’t all that like herself, lately she’d been thinking that maybe, if the opportunity presented itself, Oxford might suit her a bit better. Not that she was set on it. Not fully. Her mind was set on Harvard. That was where she’d always wanted to go. That’s where she needed to go if she wanted to have a career in politics back home in America. But her heart had been acting up lately. It’s been saying that maybe Oxford would do just as well, that maybe staying in Oxford was worth the risk . . .
♠ ♠ ♠
I intended for this chapter to be longer, and to have a lot more packed into it, but then this popped up, and I felt it was alright. A nice little filler with some information, that’ll do well until I can get the next update out. I'm currently working on the next chapter so I'm excited about that. Thanks so much for commenting and subscribing!

Thank you for your lovely Comments!

heartbreakisforever
welovejbhm
yourstruly.
Big.City.Dreams
Hawkchick85
limegreenworld
hollywood .
Lachen Immer
Emmelz Liebe
Taco!Lover
JustThinking
Penguins11