Eternal Death Watchers

Take Myself Away From What I Am

Joseph had led Frederick outside, into a dark alley. It was the first time he had ever used his vampire speed, and quite frankly, he liked it.
"See that man coming this way?" Joseph asked.
"Yeah?"
"Kill him."
This was second nature to Frederick, so he had no problem with this command. He walked up to the man, slowly, cautiously. His senses were heightened, so he could smell the mans blood. It smelled delicious. In one swift move he bit into the mans neck, blood spilling out everywhere. The man screamed a most horrific scream, enough to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. He drank until all the blood was gone; his body drained. He couldn't get enough blood to satisfy his hunger. As the man dropped, he looked into his face, and for the first time in his life, he felt remorse. There was something so innocent about the man, his face now gray, and sagging, that made him question if he had any kids, what his family was going to think about this..
Remorse overwhelmed him. It was like nothing he had ever felt in his whole life time. He thought he was going to break in two. He couldn't comprehend the feeling. Why did he care?
Almost as if reading his mind, Joseph spoke.
"And that is what you'll feel, for all eternity. Sucks, doesn't it?" He winked, thinking himself clever for the little pun. And then he was off.
Frederick sunk down onto his knees, and for the first time his killings began, he cried.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Frederick went through this torment for years, watching his superiors kill murderers, seeing how the group grew, keeping track of the hundreds of innocent victims he killed to satisfy himself. And it was satisfying, to have the powers, to drink the blood, to quench his thirst, but the drawback was terrible, and to Frederick, outweighed all of the positive.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standing on his balcony, he watched as the moon illuminated the walking townspeople below. All huddled together to fight off the cold. The cold that Frederick was doomed to.
"To take myself away from what I am, is more than any mortal being can devise. Yet, I am no mortal."
And reaching in his pocket, he withdrew a wooden stake he had carved himself. Contemplating, he turned it over in his hands. And with one swift move, he thrust it into his heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
That was the first story I've ever written. It's very short, but I plan to make longer stories in the future. My next series is a love story with Lestat. So stay tuned!