Oceans Crossed and Lessons Learned

So this is France

Now here I am at the airport trying to find the way to the train platforms. I adjust my backpack and then alter my over-sized duffel bag on my shoulder so that my sweater is wedged in between the strap and the actual bag.

I walk up to an information counter and try to remember what little French I know.
"Ou est les traines?" Where are the trains? I ask probably with a thick and horrible accent.
"Aller jusqu'a le Mc Donald et tourne droit." Go up to the McDonald's and turn right he explains as I try my best to remember what he's saying.

I'm just glad the turning point is a McDonalds, and I know "droite" means right, so I'm good.

I board the train and place my bags at my feet before taking a seat. Its an hour ride so I set my watch to beep in 45 minutes in case I dose off.

I stare blankly out the window as the train starts to go. Two and a half months in this place. This is going to be hell. Especially since I'm spending it with my Uncle Jack and Aunt Monique, who are reputable for being real hard-asses and not to forget my cousins Simone and Mathieu last I saw of them they seemed like real pansies.

I close my eyes and when I open them again the city is far behind and the train's going through the suburbs.

The sun blares in my eyes and is hot against my skin. Wearing a black t-shirt seems like a bad idea now that I feel the heavy sweat coating my under arms.

I look at my watch, thirty minutes to go. I roll my head uneasily against the seat's headrest hoping the sun will go away.

The next time I look out the window it becomes apparent that we've left the suburbs and entered butt-fuck nowhere.
"Great." I mutter to myself.

At my stop that train is practically empty. I gather up my things before stepping out onto the platform. Out into the bright, hot, smoldering sun and a less than promising summer.

I wander, somewhat disoriented, around the small train station but it doesn't take long before I spot my uncle and aunt.
"Hi." I say stepping up to them.
"Hello Samantha!" my uncle says hugging me and taking my duffel bag in the process.
"Ello." my aunt says in her thick French accent, "Come along, I have lunch waiting for us."

My uncle leads us to the car which is parked on the street.
"This is the main street." he explains as we get into the car. I swallow hard. Back home we have back streets that are busier than this.

"How was your flight?" my uncle asks.
"It was okay I guess."
"So are you a, what do you call them? Are you a goth?" he asks with a big grin.
"No." I say positively rudely. My uncle just laughs.
"Then what's with all the black?"
"Jacques." My aunt says warningly.

"Mathieu and Simone can't wait to see you again." my aunt says in a friendly voice as she turns toward the back seat to face me. I just nod.

We pull into a long driveway up to a fairly large, fairly stereotypical European house. Yellowish walls, reddish roof and a couple of balconies in the front alone.
"Home sweet home." my uncle announces as we climb out of the car and head towards the front door.

"Uncle Jack, what about my bags?" I say motioning to the car trunk.
"We'll get them after lunch." I let out a slight huff as we get inside.

"Mathieu! Simone!" my aunt calls and immediately I hear the sound of footsteps coming toward us.

"Oh Samanta!" Simone exclaims as she wraps her arms around me in a tight hug. Physical contact, no thank you. She pulls away from me. "Dis summer is going to be so much fun." Her long light brown hair slinks from side to side as she talks, unable to pronounce the "th" sound.
"Yeah." I say forcing a smile.

"Salut Samantha." Mathieu says being the next to hug me, "Comment ca vas?" How are you?
"Bien." Good I reply proudly understanding what he asked.
"Tu parle francais?" You speak french? My uncle teases.
"Oui, un peu." Yes, a bit.
"Tres bien." Very good. he laughs.

"Come along." My aunt says trying to usher us into the dining room. The table is set and in the middle is a platter with some sort of meat and potatoes, a bowl of salad and a plate with steamed asparagus.

"M'excuse, mais je suis deja en retard pour travail." Excuse me, but I'm already late for work. Mathieu says to my aunt. He runs his hand through his sandy brown hair. His tall, skinny figure towering over my aunt. With that he's gone from the dining room then the house all together.

"You are seventeen, yes?" Simone asks me, as we all start to serve ourselves.
"Yes, you just turned eighteen right?"
"Oui, whoops, I mean yes." she giggles.

"You're not taking a some pork roast?" my aunt asks. I look down at my plate, I served myself everything except the roast.
"No thank you."
"Why not?"
"I uhh, I'm vegetarian." I stutter getting confused looks from my distant family.

"Pourquoi tu ne pas dis ca?" How come you didn't say that?" she demands from my uncle.
"J'oublier!" I forgot! he exclaims.
"Do you still eat fish Samanta?" Simone questions.
"Yeah." I say, "Uhh can you call me Sammy instead?"
"Sure Sammy." she grins.

After lunch, which wasn't without the usual questions directed solely at me I was shown my room for the summer.

The walls are covered in a light green and yellow floral wall paper. Sheer green curtains dance around the window but luckily I spot horizontal blinds as well. Thank god there's something to keep the sun out. The double bed seems puffy with over stuffed pale green comforter and yellow pillows. The furniture is a dark wood, it's probably my aunt and uncle's old bedroom furniture because it looks pretty out-dated.

"This is your closet." my aunt says pointing to one door, "and this is the bathroom." she point to another.
"I get my own bathroom?" I clarify, slightly stunned.
"All the bedrooms have their own bathroom." she chuckles, "Need anything while I'm here?"
"Thanks Aunt Monique, but I'll be fine."

She leaves the room and I collapse on the bed just as I'm about to shut my eyes my uncle walks into the room with my bags.
"I want to talk to you." he says firmly, so I sit up, "You're only here because your mother's at her wits end. Just know my sister is the patient one and I won't put up with any bull shit."
"Okay."
"Staying in the guest room is a privilege, any trouble and you'll be sharing a room with Simone so she'll have her eye on you at all times."
"Alright." I say nodding. He leaves the room.

I lie down on the bed and fall asleep immediately. Its been a long day.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you're liking it so far.

i like comments