Stay

Stay

“I just think it’s a weird thing to have an aversion to.”

“Why? It’s absolutely disgusting!”

“Well, it’s not my favorite but I don’t mind it.”

“Winterfresh Every Flavor Beans. Ugh...”

“Duck!”

Draco Malfoy and Addi Perez both snickered as they hunkered close to the ground, avoiding the lights from Filch’s flashlight as he made another round. They weren’t supposed to be out this late... especially not with a bottle of rum shared between them.

With just a little fuzziness from the alcohol in her head, Addi tried to remember how she ended up out here with Draco in the first place. It was all a big blur. One minute she was sneaking over to Slytherin tower to see her boyfriend Blaise Zabini, next minute Blaise’s best friend was in front of her excitedly holding the bottle. Addi could never resist an opportunity to get crazy.

So she and Draco had been sitting out here for a good couple of hours, just a sip of whiskey left in the glass, talking and avoiding capture from Filch.

The pair had always connected so well. They were both impulsive, daring, and always drawn to danger- which is why they were always drawn to each other.

Addi cared about Blaise deeply, but she could never help the butterflies that popped in her stomach every time Draco came around. Tonight, those butterflies had been too wild to ignore.

“Would you like to do the honor?” Draco wiggled his eyebrows as he gestured towards the bit of whiskey still in the bottle. Addi bowed sarcastically.

“It would be my pleasure,” she winked before leaning back and taking the final swig. She slammed the bottle down in triumph.

Draco, with a wry smile, applauded her. “Bravo! Addi Perez... you are one amazing girl.”

And then the mood shifted dramatically. Addi looked towards Draco just to see him gazing at her in wonder, longing in his stare and on his lips. Suddenly, a couple of chums bumming around getting tipsy became something much, much more.

“Draco...” Addi whispered, trying to pull her unfaithful eyes away but finding it impossible.

“Hey!” A terribly raspy voice called out from far too close to where Addi and Draco sat. “What are you blasted troublemakers up to!”

Filch had spotted them! Addi whipped her head back and forth between the direction his voice was coming from and Draco’s eyes with a panic expression, her brown, tightly curled hair swinging around her as she did so.

Draco didn’t waste any time, he grasped Addi’s hand and the pair ran as fast as they could up the steps and through the empty corridor. Filch’s voice continued to ring out from somewhere behind them.

“Rotten kids getting bloody drunk!” He grumbled loudly. Draco and Addi made a sharp left, towards the Slytherin Common Room. Breathing heavily, Addi held Draco’s warm hand as tightly as possible as the words oh my god oh my god oh my god kept repeating quickly through her mind. Her feet carried on under her with all the speed she could muster.

“Slytherin is our king,” Draco whispered the password quickly when they finally approached the Common Room entrance. The pair dove through the small opening as quickly as they could, almost tumbling into the empty, fire-lit space. The entrance closed shut behind them.

Draco held Addi closely, protectively, in his arms as footsteps skittered past the Common Room, continuing down the corridor. Filch’s mumbling voice began to fade away. They had lost him.

The only sound now in the empty Common Room was their heavy breathing and heart-pounding from their narrow escape.

As they tried to calm their shaking bodies, the pair once again locked eyes. Draco’s arms were still around Addi’s waist protectively.

There was a split second, a spark in time, of understanding between them. A moment that told them just do it.

So they did.

Draco and Addi’s lips collided like two cars meeting head-on: entrancing and powerful... and also terribly, terribly wrong.

Addi pulled away for a moment, Draco’s eyes beckoning for more.

“Draco,” she breathed, “This can’t happen. Blaise is your best friend.”

“But Addi I need you like this.”

“I... I need to go.”

Just as Addi was about to pull away, Draco laced his hands in hers. Even Addi couldn’t deny how right it felt to have it there. Hell, how right it felt to kiss him even though it was completely betraying to Blaise. She needed Draco like this just as much as he needed her. But she still felt torn.

Then, Draco would say that one word. Four letters. In just a breathy whisper, but a word that changed the entire course of Addi Perez’s life.

“Stay.”