Status: Active (:

My Brother

Stress and Practice

I sat on the bench, rubbing my aching calves, waiting for my coach to tell me what to do. I was pretty bored and really sore from constant practices. It was getting a bit much, but sports are the majority of my life, I can't give up any of them.

"Morgan!" Coach Hensley, our head coach, yelled.

"Yes sir?" I said, looking up at him.

"Warm up. Run the mile." I nodded and stood up, pulling my hair into a ponytail, and began running. I finished the mile in 1 1/2 minutes, and went back to the bench. My friend, Kylian (a rising senior. I'm on Varsity, remember?), handed me my red Gatorade. I gratefully took a sip and sat beside her, leaning on her shoulder.

"You okay, Morgan?" she asked.

"Kind of." I said, sighing.

"What's up, girlie?"

"Just so...stressed."

"Why? Practices?"

"Yupp. Basketball at 4:00 Wednesdays and Fridays, softball at 4:30 Mondays and Thursdays, and cheerleading at 6:30 Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays."

"No kidding? So you have to go to cheerleading right after you leave here?"

"Yeah."

"You're on Varsity basketball and cheerleading, right?"

"Varsity softball and basketball. They wanted to put me on varsity cheer, but I pretty much begged them to leave me on JV with my friends..."

"And they did?"

"Yeah. They love me."

"Wonder why."

I punched her in the shoulder and she laughed. I took another drink of my Gatorade and started messing with my uniform. My varsity softball uniform is a long sleeve navy blue tight under armor shirt, with a red loose short sleeved shirt over it, that says "Bulldogs" with "Hillcrest High" under it, long, tight navy blue pants with a white stripe down the sides with tall red socks that come up over my pants. And cleats, of course. Damn, I miss the JV days where our uniform was a sleeveless jersey and tight blue shorts.

My JV cheerleading uniform is the miniskirt thats blue in the back and red in the front, with stripes on the side. The top is tight, white on the top and stripes in a triangular shape with red under it. On the white it says "HHS". Then just the assigned cheer shoes, and the pom poms on occasion. We're more of stunters than typical cliche cheerleaders with pom poms.

My Varsity basketball uniform is white basketball shorts with a red stripe down the sides, and my loose basketball jersey (I'm pretty small) that says "HILLCREST HIGH" and in the middle of the two words is my number, 22. We also have to wear white and red basketball shoes. They're expensive.

We continued softball practice as usual, and when it was over I changed back into my shorts and tank top. I ran to the parking lot where Sterling was waiting in his Papa Smurf blue truck. I hopped in with him, leaving my hair in the pony tail since I would need it at cheer and it would get messed up in the car, since Sterling doesn't have air conditioning in his trunk and we have to ride with the windows down.

He dropped me off and I ran inside, changed into my tight black cheer shorts and a tank top that says "HILLCREST CHEER" over the front. We went on with practice, and Leigh picked me up afterwards. I fell asleep on the way home. When we got there, Leigh woke me up and I walked to my room, immediately collapsing on my bed and falling asleep.