Status: Active (:

My Brother

Drunk

We pulled up to the little one story, two bedroom house that belonged to my mother. Well, technically it belonged to her boyfriend. Mom has no money for a house, what was I thinking?

We jumped out of the car and walked up to porch, then opened the front door and walked in. Mom's boyfriend, David, and his son, Jackson (who we had never met), sat on the couch, beers in their hands and a ton of empty bottles surrounding the couch. Mom somehow got off the couch, then stumbled over to us. Great.

"It's my babiesss!" she slurred. She hugged us as we hugged her awkwardly back.

"Jackson! These are my kids...Sterlin, he's....umm...he's 16, yeah. And this is Morgan...she's 13." She slurred on.

"Turned 14 two months ago, mom." I said.

"Oh, whatever..." she said, before stumbling back over to the couch and collapsing beside David, giggling like crazy.

We sighed and went to the room we had to share when we were here. There was only one queen sized bed in there, so we had to share. There was really no need to unpack. We weren't there for long.

Three in the morning, Sterling and I were in bed, trying to sleep. An impossible task, when your mom is throwing a crazy party full of drunk forty year olds.

"Sterling...I wanna go home." I said. He sighed.

"I know. You want me to call Dad?" he said. I nodded.

He got out of the bed and grabbed his cell phone from the dresser. He dialed dad's number.

"Hey Dad....yeah.....yes, again......Morgan wants to come home....okay.....yes sir.....alright....bye."

He ended the call, then picked up his bag. "Let's go."

I got out of bed and made it, then grabbed my bag. Sterling opened the window and climbed out. He helped me climb out, then we closed the door and we ran to his car.

"Shit, there's a guy parked behind me!" he said.

"Well....drive through the yard?"

He smiled. We jumped into the car, and drove through the yard. We began the drive back to dad's house.

"Dad's not gonna be happy." Sterling said.

"I know."

"He hates for mom to get drunk around us."

"Yeah. I hate it, too. I mean, dad drinks around us, but he never gets drunk."

"It scares me. I mean, one of them might hurt you..."

"Sterlin, you're so sweet."

"Oh, shut up..."

I laughed. We got to dad's, even though it took thirty minutes. When we walked in, I guess dad had gone to bed, so Sterling and I just went to our rooms.

"Do you think mom will wonder where we are?" I asked.

"...Did you really just ask that? She'll forget we were even there."

I nodded, solemnly. He hugged me. "It's gonna be okay, Morgan."