Arrangements

Fears and truths

I was still reeling from that comment that man in black made. I know that I shouldn't dwell on what others say, but I felt insulted. I've always been weary about my art, letting pride take over fear, but criticism always makes me think twice.

Astrid could sense my "funky" attitude as we locked up everything and prepared to leave. Astrid is too protective of me, and always wanted me to tell her how I felt and if anyone was bothering me. She's my best friend, I tell her everything, she is like my big sister.

"Storm, you can tell me anything, you know. What's bothering you?" she put a tattooed hand on my shoulder and I shook my head.

"Something that happened the other night." I mumbled.

"You weren't mugged again, were you?"

I giggled, "No. This guy at the showing...he kind of made fun of me--" I stopped myself, "Well, no, he didn't. I don't know what he said, it was the way he said it."

"Well he's a fucking jerk, Stormy. He doesn't know great art when he sees it!" She kissed my cheek.

"Thanks, Trid."

She nodded, "No problem. Now, let's get Doobie and Dobbie ready for Allie."

Astrid put food out for we two black cats and then we locked up. Allie would be coming by to check on the house for the 3 days we'd be gone. We took a taxi to LAX, and got on our flight home to New Jersey.

"What do you remember about this Gerard guy anyway?" Astrid asked once we were on the plane.

Our meetings never included siblings. It was strictly first norms only, so Astrid never met Gerard, and I never met his siblings. I don't even know if he had/has siblings.

"He was rude." It came out quickly, "He was really handsome."

Astrid smiled at me, running her hand over her shaved head, "Really? Would you have married him if you still practiced?"

I shrugged, "I suppose. I don't like to disappoint, but it all doesn't make sense."

"If he's interested, would you marry him?"

I shook my head, "No, I believe in love, Astrid, as much as you don't."

She laughed, "Love is dangerous. Remember Toby? You thought that was love, and the bastard cheated on you."

The memory of my ex-fiancée hit me. It was a really bad break up, we had been together for 3 years; we broke up last year, but it was still fresh. Astrid believed that her insulting him made me feel better... it doesn't.

"What about you? Don't you want to be with someone forever?" I asked looking down at my lap.

"I have Doobie and Dobbie, thank you very much." I knew Astrid wanted someone, because it was the look.

Astrid hid her feelings through tattoos, music, and activism. She wanted someone to love her just as much as I did. Someone broke her heart, and I don't know who. I think it's the guy who took her virginity.

"Astrid, you can tell me anything." I used her words against her, placing my hand on hers.

She gave a short laugh, "Very funny, Stormy."

"I tried." I shrugged and squeezed her hand.

-

We landed hours later, I was tired, but Astrid was getting her second wind. We spotted our parents just as we stepped off and we walked up slowly, smiling and waving. My mother's burgundy hair -which she dyes monthly- bounced in a bob as she hugged us. My father smoothed back his light brown hair, that was greying up the sides, and hugged us each nervously. He isn't very affectionate, he's more quiet, reserved and awkward like myself.

"Let me get these bags," My father's accent -Italian- is thick, "How was your flight?"

"Tiring." I spoke up.

"Oh, you girls can sleep in the car," My mother spoke up. She kissed my head, "Astrid, what did you do to your hair?"

"Shaved it." Astrid spoke proudly.

My mother smiled, "I like it."

My parents knew from early on that Astrid would be different. My mother's pregnancy was different, it was a high risk one, and she would be their last. They love the fact that she is out there and weird; they feel lucky that she is.

As for me...I was expected, not throughly planned, but I was expected to be the expectant first born. I would be obedient, have good grades, come home on time, do chores -and I was. When I denounced my faith, they were a little disappointed, but they still love me.

In the car, my dad played Don McLean on tape in his station wagon. Astrid and I knew the tape by heart, bought him the CD for Christmas, and the tapes. It's a childhood memory that we both cherish.

"Ma, you won't believe what Stormy did." Astrid spoke once "Vincent" stopped.

I looked over at her confused. Mom looked over the seat, "What did you do honey?"

"I don't know. What did I do?" I asked Astrid, still confused.

"She sold a bunch of her paintings. She made $10,000." Astrid spoke proudly, and my cheeks burned.

"No way Jose!" My father grinned at me in the rearview, "You did?"

I nodded, "Yeah, it was just some stuff."

"I'm so proud of you." Mom patted my knee, "Both you girls are doing amazing things."

I don't know why I feel ashamed and awkwardly afraid of the fact I sold my paintings. My parents and sister are proud, but still I feel adequate about my work. At times, I feel like I should be doing something else.

"Some weirdo bought all these Iggy Pop paintings and constructions Stormy did. He paid a lot of money."

Astrid continued on, making me feel uncomfortable, but I know she meant no harm. My parents continued to praise us until we got home. I was thankful for that.

My father and I got the bags, while mom and Astrid went up into the house. My father closed the trunk and took my hand.

"Stormy, you do not have to feel ashamed about your work." He gave me a small smile.

"Papa, I know." I tried to smile, but it failed, "I just...I don't know, I don't like to talk about it."

He nodded, "It's alright, we don't have to talk about it anymore."

When we got into the house, I saw our old English bulldog, Sylvester waddle into the living room to greet me. I smiled, putting my suitcase down, and pet him.

"Hey Sylvester, how are your ears?"

"Doctor says he's gone deaf in his left ear," my father came up behind me, "but as long as he is in no pain, he's great."

I pecked the top of his head, "I promise a piece of mama's pork chop for you." I winked at Sylvester and he licked the palm of my hand.

I took my and Astrid's bags and put them by the stairs to take up to our room later. We all assembled into the kitchen, as per usual, and sat down to eat some coffee cakes my mom made. Astrid sat beside me, while my father sat at the head, and mom poured us all coffee, except for me -I am a hot cocoa kind of girl.

"Do I get invited to this dinner or...?" Astrid asked before taking a bite of her cake.

"Yes, The Way's are bringing their other son." Mom set the coffee cups in front of us; our special mugs helped us identify what was what.

Dad drank decaf, Astrid drinks hers black, and mom's has lots of sugar.

"So what's going on? Are they hoping that we get married?" I surprised myself with my questioning.

My mom sighed, "Actually...we need to talk to you all about that."

Her and my father looked at each other, "Is something wrong?"

"Tomorrow is best. We want you all to hear the news tomorrow."

I felt sick, "Mama, is something wrong with you, or papa? Are the Ways okay?" I felt the sudden urgency to control the situation.

"Honey," My father took my hand, "don't torture yourself. Tomorrow night, it will all come together."

I sighed, looking over at Astrid, who looked worried too.

-

Astrid and I got ready for bed. Growing up, we shared a room; our house being two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a basement. In our room, there was only one bed, because I had taken mine to California, but Astrid's bed is still big enough to house us.

"Slumber party," she jumped on the queen bed, and took a pillow, "remember when you'd come stay and we'd stay up all night talking?"

I nodded, smiling at the memories of when I first left for school, "Yeah."

"Y'know, I never thank you for covering for me when Chris picked me up for that date..." 

"No need for thanks, you've covered for me once or twice." I laid beside her, looking up at the Smashing Pumpkins poster she had on the ceiling. The wallpaper was still the pink pin stripe from when I was a baby.

"Once or twice? Xavier Chester used to throw rocks at the window everyday to talk to you!" she gave me a incredulous look.

"He and I were in teenage love." I shrugged.

"His love letters were cute." She laid beside me, "He got married last year, you know."

I nodded, "To Lisa Shuman. Sent me an invitation." I grimaced.

"Should've went."

"Lisa was a bitch to us, I was not going to go an pretend to be happy for her."

Astrid giggled, "Oh, I miss being a teenager."

I turned off the light, "I don't."

-

The following day, Astrid and I did some chores for my mom, walked Sylvester, and then we walked to the record store.

The local record store is where Astrid always sought solace, mine was the book store next door, but they closed down. I followed behind her as she got to the rock section, she had on big, black headphones; each side read Shut The Fuck Up in her flowing handwriting. Her headphones hung around her neck, the cord leading to the old iPod in her short pockets.

"What are you looking for?" I asked her.

She shrugged, "Garbage." She looked at me, "You want me to find My Chem for you?"

I shrugged, "I rather listen to Shirley Manson."

"Hey, you'll like My Chemical Romance." She took her headphones off, "Have a listen."

I placed the headphones over my ears, hearing Midtown, then a full force of guitars. She held up her broken and damaged iPod, the song was called "Drowning Lessons". She mouthed "It's my favorite song."

The voice was scratchy, but unlike I ever heard. I actually liked it; I listened until it was over, and took the headphones off.

"Well?" she questioned excitedly.

"I like it. Where's the album?"

After purchasing the album, Astrid and I continued home. She let me use her headphones and I listened to the album. My favorite was Demolition Lovers.

When we got back home, mom smiled at us, "The Ways should be here any minute, you girls should freshen up." she winked at me.

Astrid and I looked at each other, "Yes, mama."

I changed into jeans and a nice peach colored blouse with a nice patterned. I had forgotten about the album after I tossed it on Astrid's desk. I went into the bathroom and did my make up, while Astrid stayed in her clothes; torn jeans with studs, safety pins and patches and a modified Clash t-shirt that showed off the banner tattoo on her chest; it has my parents names on it, with little birds holding it up.

"Are you nervous?" Astrid asked, tying up her old, black boots.

I shrugged, "I just wanna know what's wrong with mama and papa."

She nodded, "I almost forgot about that."

I sighed heavily, finishing my blush. The door bell rang, and mom called us down, "I'm not finished."

"I'll tell her you'll be down in a minute." Astrid jumped off the sink and ran down the stairs.

It took less than 20 seconds for my sister to laugh hysterically, then call up to me.

"Stormy! Stormy! You won't freaking believe it!"
♠ ♠ ♠
2,147

So, shameless plugging works! I'm so fucking smug, but I feel awesome that I have 5 comments and 15 subs! Thank you so much! I really do appreciate you reading this!
Love the feedback, even though you probably know what's gonna happen.

xo alison santi