Arrangements

Guilt Trip

"Hold on!" I called back. I hated to yell in my parents home. We never yell.

Astrid laughed, her shoes clunked as she bolted back to the open bathroom door. She had wide eyes, "You are not gonna believe who is down stairs!"

"Well, I have to believe it. I'm finished." I clasped my lip gloss closed and followed Astrid out the bathroom.

She giggled, "Dude, you are gonna flip."

I followed down the stairs and heard some talking coming from around the corner. Astrid and I stepped in and I saw that guy Mikey from my art showing. I raised my brow, then I saw the Ways, who were older, but I knew them. Then I saw that man in black, the one who insulted me.

"You're the guy from my art show," I pointed at him, "What the heck are you doing here?"

My parents gave me a confused look, as did the Ways. Astrid leaned over, "Allie was right, Storm." She giggled slightly.

"Art showing?" Mrs. Way looked at the guy and Mikey.

"Uh, we should all be reintroduced," Mr. Way laughed to ease the situation.

"At the table," My mom cut in.

I was still confused, and my head started to hurt. I followed everyone to the dining room, where Astrid and I sat on the right, facing out towards the living room, and the Ways sat in front of us. The man in black in front of me, his darken gaze trying to analyze me.

"So...what?" I asked confusingly, "Who are you?" I asked him finally.

He snorted, "You don't remember me Sugar?"

My jaw slacked; the tiny teeth, the way he spoke out the side of his mouth, the rude voice.

"Oh shit." I muttered.

"Language, Stormy." My father's accent boomed over to me.

I swallowed hard, "I apologize."

"Gerard and Mikey," Mrs. Way said, "You've never met Mikey."

"I met her last week at her art show. Gerard bought like 5 grand worth of her stuff."

"We aren't even married and already I'm paying your bills," Gerard smirked at me, making my stomach knot.

"You ruined my life." I muttered absentmindedly.

He raised a brow, "How so? I don't even know you." 

He looked so damn smug, like it was all a game. He was stringing me along like an idiot. Just like Toby did.

"I...I..." tears stung my eyes; everyone was watching me, "You ruined my religion, my beliefs!"

He looked confused, "Because I didn't wanna marry you? I still don't."

"No, not because of that," I spat quickly, like Astrid would, "because you made me curious. If you would've kept your mouth shut--" I stopped myself, "I'm getting mad over nothing and we haven't even eaten."

Astrid and Mikey giggled, "I like her. Stormy you are so weird and it makes me smile."

I looked over at Mikey, "Um, thanks, I guess?"

"You're welcome. And you don't have to worry about marrying Gee, he's a jerk."

"I don't want to marry him." I spat too quickly, making everyone silent.

"Food's here," Mom entered just as the silence was getting tense.

As we ate, the tension between Gerard and I was thick. He would glance at me and stare daggers. Everyone else had ease, and were enjoying nice conversation.

"So, Mikey, Gerard," my mom said as we finished our dinner, "Your parents told me you're in a band?"

"Uh, yeah, My Chemical Romance," Mikey spoke up, "I play bass."

My mom's eyes lit up, "Oh, like Astrid."

Astrid giggled, "He's already with Allie."

"You're with Allie?" I asked, taking a sip of my water.

Mikey blushed, "Well, yeah, she's cute."

I smiled, "Aww, that's so cute!"

"Gerard, what do you play?" My mom spoke again.

"I sing." He kept his eyes on mine when I glanced over.

I swallowed hard, I had forgotten that. He sang those wonderful songs I was beginning to enjoy. I didn't enjoy his presence though.

"Well, that's pretty unique."

"He's also an artist," Mrs. Way added, "He's amazing."

I raised my brow, our staring contest ended as he looked away. He looked kind of embarrassed.

"As is Stormy, and I don't see why they can't get along." My father said next.

I took another drink of my water, "So, um, what's going on? Why the dinner?" I finally got to the point, to end this.

My father sighed, "Well...I guess it's time, huh?" My mom put her hands on his.

"Kids, we know you all aren't into religion anymore..." Mr. Way started, "but, last month, Mr. Jaco came to us with some news."

I looked to my father, "Papa?"

My father let out another sigh, "I have prostate cancer."

There was silence, nothing except Sylvester waddling towards my feet under the table. Tears stung my eyes, and my jaw hung slack. I looked to Astrid, then to my parents.

"Why the dinner?" Astrid broke the silence.

"Fuck the dinner!" I spat, "My father is dying!" Everyone looked at me, tears rolled down my cheeks. "How long have you known?" I asked quickly.

"Just the month. It's already too advanced..." My father trailed.

"What does that mean? That you could die any day? Any second?"

Astrid put her arm around me, "Storm, calm down."

"No! No, I will not calm down!" I roared at her, and I didn't want to, but I felt out of control, "Tell me papa!"

"Doctor says I have 6 to 8 months."

The silence enveloped us. My body trembled, Sylvester rubbed his hefty body against my leg. I looked down at him, more tears streamed down my cheeks.

"The dinner?" Astrid asked again.

"We wanted to see if..." Mrs. Way started, "If Stormy and Gerard could work out their differences and get married."

"No." I said quickly, "Just because my father is dying I'm not going to be guilt tripped into marrying someone whom doesn't love me and whom I do not love."

I hate silence. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut.

"Excuse me." I muttered and stood up from the table. 

I walked up to the bedroom, letting Sylvester follow behind me. They all began to converse as soon as I turned the corner. I didn't hear, but I'm sure my parents were apologizing for my behavior.

-

I laid on the bed and petted Sylvester and cleared my mind. I finally understood why people smoked, but I only had a dog at the moment.

I don't know how long I was in the room, but it was long; I heard the Ways leave and then Astrid clunk her way towards the room. She knocked softly, then opened the door. She smiled at me, stepped in and closed the door behind her.

"How bad was I?" I asked her.

"You weren't bad, Storm, you were speaking with your feelings."

"I embarrassed them, didn't I?"

"No, actually, papa laughed. He said that he was expecting it. I don't know why he laughed though." Astrid sat beside me on the bed and petted Sylvester's belly.

"I can't believe he's dying..." I spoke softly.

"You could tell though, Storm. I know it wasn't bluntly displayed, but Papa looked sick a lot...maybe that's why I'm not in shock."

"And the deal with the Ways? What gives?"

"Papa wants to see you married before he dies," She answered quickly, "He wants to walk you down the isle."

I looked at her with tears brimming, "I can't...I don't want to disappoint him, but Gerard and I would never work out."

"I know, but...he just feels that way. He says it's his feelings."

Before I could respond, there was a knock on the door. I looked up, my father entered the room. He smiled at me, "Astrid, I need to speak to Stormy alone, please."

Astrid nodded, getting up and walking out. My father crossed and sat on the bed, Sylvester rolled over to his side.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm hurting, Papa."

"I know you are, but I don't want you to hurt."

"I just don't understand."

He looked at me, "I never told your mother this, but I've had dreams about you and Gerard Way."

I raised my brow, "Dreams?"

"When you all were 5, there was this spark I saw between the both of you. I know it sounds crazy, but I saw it. I knew that something between you two would work, that's why I went along with the practice as long as I did."

"So I would marry him?"

"Yes. I felt that he would protect you, love you, care for you more so than any other man."

I shook my head, "I have you, Papa."

He chuckled, "I know, but as a companion. Long after I'm gone, you'll have him. I can feel it...I also feel that this illness came when it needed to."

"So...you really want me to marry him?"

He shrugged, "It's up to you. I do not want to "guilt trip" you into anything, Stormy."

I bit at my lip, "I have to...talk to him and think it through, y'know."

He nodded, "I told the same to Mr. Way."

"And, what if I can't...what if it doesn't work out?"

He smiled, stood and snapped his fingers at Sylvester to follow him, "I have faith, Stormy."

I watched my father cross out the room and a few moments later Astrid entered. She looked at me with a questionable look.

I grimaced to myself and opened my mouth, "What color should I make the bride's maid dresses?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for the lovely comments!
I hope you guys enjoy this, tell me what you think, I love the feedback!
Thanks for reading