Arrangements

Business deals and agreements

The next morning, I went to my mother and asked her for the Way's address.

"Are you rethinking this?" She asked as she wrote it down for me.

"Yes...for Papa." I exhaled heavily, "But, please, don't get your hopes up."

My mother nodded, smiled and handed be the piece of paper. I took Sylvester with me, to give him some afternoon exercise. I started down the street, remembering them, and instantly knew where they lived; it wasn't far, but I wondered how come I hadn't ever remembered seeing either Gerard or Mikey in school.

Once their home approached, I felt my stomach tie in knots. I bit my lip and pulled my guts out. I tied Sylvester to the gate and hurried to the door; I knocked and waited, digging my hands in my jeans.

The door opened and Mikey stood before me. He looked as if he just rolled out of bed, "Oh, Stormy, what's up?"

"I need to...talk to Gerard. I'm hoping he's in." I tried to seem relaxed, but I was a nervous wreck.

He nodded, "Yeah, he's here. He's in the kitchen, wanna come in?"

"For a second, my dog is out there." He nodded and let me in.

The Way home was darken, dark curtains, crucifix over the mantle, TV going and the couches were really old fashioned. I followed Mikey past the stairs, seeing it was just like out home, and we entered the kitchen.

Gerard was at the counter, sipping coffee and writing. I stood beside Mikey, and he cleared his throat. Gerard looked up, his pudgy face was actually kind of cute without the smeared make up; he looked as if he had just waken up too.

"What's she doing here?" His eyes narrowed from the confusion and innocence I saw for only seconds.

"I came to talk to you." I spoke for myself, "Please. Can we go for a walk? Just around the block."

Gerard's eyes soften and he sighed, "Why should I?"

"I'm not going to beg, but I really need to speak to you, and I'm pretty sure know what it's about." I was surprised at myself.

"Gimme a minute." He stood and began to walk pass me.

"I'll be outside." I told him.

I didn't get an answer. I thanked Mikey and went outside. I sat on the cool grass and unleashed Sylvester; he just plowed on my lap. A few quiet minutes later, Gerard approached.

A cigarette hung from his lips, his face was still clear, but his dark and stringy hair hid it, "Let's go, Sugar."

I got up and followed him out to the sidewalk. We got a few steps and I could feel the knot twisting against my insides.

"Start talking, I ain't no mind reader." He spat softly.

"My father talked to me last night. I won't get into what he said, but I know for a fact he wants us to do this so he can walk me down the isle." I lied a bit, "As much as I love my father...I don't think I could do it."

Gerard blew a cloud of smoke, "So, is that all--" 

I cut him off, "But, I will do it, for my father."

"What if I don't want to do it. Just because your daddy has a death wish, doesn't--"

I shoved him, "Don't talk about my father that way!" I stopped and stared at him, "I love him, it's his last request from me and I will do anything to fulfill it!"

Gerard gave me a small smile, amused at my outburst, "So you do want to marry me."

"No, I don't. My father does. And, I guess...I will have to learn to get use to the idea...if you're willing."

He chuckled, "What's in it for me?"

"Less than a year of marital bliss." I stated sarcastically.

"So, you plan to dump me as soon as your daddy kicks the bucket?"

The way he spoke made me want to slug him, "Stop talking like that!"

"Well, is it true? Do you plan on divorcing me once your father dies, Stormy?"

I coursed my hair, "I don't know...I don't...this is so huge." I looked down and wallowed for a moment, "I'm barely comfortable with myself, how the hell am I suppose to marry someone and be comfortable."

He sighed, "Look, this will be a business deal, alright?" He actually looked human.

"Business deal?"

"I feel bad for your pops, I honestly do, and I guess...marrying you wouldn't be the worse thing in the world." He grimaced.

"Hey, fuck you, I am a nice person!"

He laughed, "Yeah, says the chick who says Fuck You."

I sighed, "I'm sorry, I don't usually cuss, I'm just under a lot of stress."

"Stress? You're an artist, you're beau--" he stopped himself as soon as I looked up, "You're a hot piece of tail, dudes should be lining up to tame you."

I narrowed my eyes, "Oh, hell yeah! Everyone wants to screw the art freak!"

"I didn't mean it that way...oh hell, I don't know what I mean." He sucked his forgotten cigarette until it was nothing but blitz ash.

"It doesn't matter now, so is this an agreement?" I spoke quickly.

"We marry?" I nodded, "Divorce when your father passes on?"

I felt the emotion build up, "Yes...Jesus, I don't want him to die."

Gerard chuckled, "Hey, we might be married for 30 years! Modern medicine is advancing."

I could tell he was trying to comfort me without actually doing so. It made him uncomfortable and I just nodded.

"Yeah. So, um, I don't know shit about weddings..."

"My mom is already starting that," Gerard waved it off, "We talked last night and she assumed I'd say yes."

"Alright, I guess I should talk to my mom. When do you suppose we...we do this?" I licked my dry lips.

"Whenever you want, Sugar. I leave for a month long tour next week though, so it has to be after that." 

I nodded, "Okay, but...um, can I ask you something?"

"What?"

"5 years ago...the last dinner, I think they really wanted us to get married. Would you have then?"

He shook his head, "No. I was in college, I was in a relationship and I didn't even remember what you look like."

"Oh."

"What about you?" He shifted.

"Same thing. Art school, struggling with myself and had a nice boyfriend." I smiled to myself.

"Where is he now?"

I shrugged, "Somewhere in California."

Gerard looked like he wanted to say more, but he held back. 

"I should go." I said softly.

"Look, uh tomorrow...we can get coffee and get to know each other. Gotta know the person you're marryin' right?"

I gave him a small smile, "Yeah, I guess so."

-

I returned home and my parents, along with Astrid were waiting excitedly. Mom grinned, "So?"

I gave her the same small smile I had given Gerard, "Uh, yeah. We're gonna do it."

Mom squealed, hugged my dad, then they both stood and hugged me. I shut my eyes, feeling of sorrow and fear swept over me. Astrid watched me and knew that I wasn't feeling this.

"Thank you, sweetie. You don't know how happy you've made me." My dad spoke.

"Anything for you, Papa."

"Oh," my mom let me go, "I have to call Donna! We have to get everything ready!"

"In a month," I told her, "After his tour."

Mom nodded and hurried to the phone. Dad looked me over and smiled, "It wasn't too brutal, was it?"

I shook my head, "No. Tomorrow we're going to talk some more."

"That's good, get to know him better, huh?"

I nodded, "That's the plan."

-

After dinner, I went up to bed with Astrid. She and I changed into our pajamas and climbed into bed. She turned on the stereo, since we weren't allowed a TV in our bedroom, and played the Bouncing Souls.

"So," I knew she didn't want to listen to the music, "what did Gerard say?"

"He said yes." I said quickly, hoping to bury this.

"No, Stormy, you know what I mean."

I exasperated, "He and I made an agreement."

"An agreement? Like what?"

"We get married and then divorce once..." I trailed.

"That's messed up, Storm." Astrid said softly.

"How is it messed up? Neither of us want this, Trid. We're doing this to satisfy Papa." I stressed tiredly.

"I have a feeling there's more." 

"More? Of what? We don't know each other--"

She stopped me, "Why don't you go with him?"

"What?"

"On tour! Go with him, you guys get to know each other, spend some time together."

I shook my head, "That's what we're doing tomorrow--"

"That's coffee! This is 4 weeks of getting to know each other! I have a feeling you all will fall -in what you call- love."

I rolled my eyes, "I don't think I can just go with him on tour--"

"Yes you can! Alexis use to bring her boyfriend, and he paid for his bunk by selling merch and errands for the band."

"You have to pay?" I questioned.

"Yeah, it's like $100 a week for a spot on the bus, it's like rent."

I shook my head, "I can gladly pay, without working, but I'm not going to do that."

"What have you got to lose? I mean, you guys are already getting married, why not just hang out? Tour is fun."

"I don't want to go! I'm not like you Astrid, I can't just pick up and travel like you."

"Well, just give it some thought and ask him. He may even tell you no."

I smiled, "Gosh, I hope so."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to my friend Aly for a lot of info on tour buses.

Anyway, what'll think Gerard will say?
What do you think?

Thanks for reading!