Arrangements

Move

Mrs. Way had given me a worried look when she served me breakfast. I didn't say anything, but thank you, and ate quietly. Gerard had come back up, he didn't say anything as he sat across from me with a big coffee mug.

"So, Stormy, are you working on anymore pieces?" Mr. Way had sat  next to Gerard and was eating also.

I shrugged, "I've been thinking a lot about some new construction pieces and I wanted to go to my parents to find some things before Astrid and Frankie move everything."

"Anything you can share?" Mrs. Way gave me an encouraging grin.

"Baby stuff," I muttered without thinking.

Mrs. Way's brows shot up, as did her husband's, "Are you...?" she trailed.

I shook my head, "Oh, no, I'm not...pregnant," I told her bashfully, "I just been thinking about Astrid. I have some ideas about astronomy and new life, immortality." I told her.

She nodded, she seemed slightly disappointed, "Oh, I see."

I didn't look at Gerard, but I knew he was tensing. He didn't utter a word; I finished my breakfast and went to shower and get ready to head to my parents home. 

Astrid and I decided to rent out the house, even though I wanted to move in it. I had hoped, by some miracle, that Gerard would say yes to the idea of having kids and we'd move into the house together and we'd raise our babies there. I felt like an idiot thinking I could change his mind...

After my shower, I went back into Gerard's room, where he was sitting at his desk, in his chair, rolling a color pencil between his fingers. He still didn't say anything when I entered and went to the dresser for some clothes. I could feel his eyes, though, watching me and I knew he was dying to say something.

"I'm gonna be at my parent's house," I told him as I slipped my bra and a Batman t-shirt on quickly, "if you need to reach me or whatever...you probably won't, but I don't want you to worry if I don't come back." My back was to him as I slipped on some warm jeans and then socks.

"Aren't you mad?" he asked lowly.

"I'm disappointed. I'm not mad. And," I went to grab my sneakers, "even if I was, I wouldn't go somewhere and you have you wonder where I was." I tied my shoes quickly, "I might go to our house later in the day with some stuff, so just call me..."

"I might." His voice was still low.

I went to the desk and grabbed my bag, "Um, don't worry, I'm not gonna tell Astrid."

He rolled his eyes, but I could tell he was amused, "Yeah."

I didn't smile, "I'll see you." I felt the longing need to kiss him, and I did. I kissed his forehead.

I walked up the stairs and to the bathroom to fix my hair.

*

The house was oddly quiet when Sylvester and I entered the house. The heat had been off, and it was so cold. I swallowed thickly, wanting to hear my mother's voice and my father watching novellas on TV. I smiled, though, when I thought about him watching those stupid Mexican soaps that made no sense. I still liked to watch them with him, trying to understand with the little bit of Spanish I knew.

Sylvester waddled to the couch, whimpering slightly and got up on it. I kept my smile, thinking how adorable and sad he looked. It hit me then, that it was only time before he passed away too. Sylvester was old and sick, I didn't know how long he had left. I remember when we got him, too, and it stung at my heart and eyes. I was 7 years old, Astrid was 2, and my parents had thought about having more kids, but it didn't happen. My father had come home, after Easter dinner, with Sylvester, telling us that he found us a little brother, who needed a home. My mother had named him, she pampered him, and she even bathed him, once a week, in the tub with Astrid and I. He's family, and as soon as he dies, I know I'd lose a lot of my connection to my parents.

"I love you, Sylvy." I petted his head as he looked up at me with blurry, tired eyes. 

He didn't move when I crossed the room and into the kitchen. I saw that my mom had cleaned up, and put everything away, even though she was busy at the church and the soup kitchens. I could smell the faint scent of sugar cookies; I went to the tweety bird cookie jar and reached in for one. I munched on my cookie and went to the fridge, grabbed a coke and chuckled to myself. If my mother were here, she'd swat my butt and make me eat and drink at the table. 

I shook my head, grabbing another and went to the heater, turning it on. I jogged upstairs, to our bedroom and entered; it was still intact, same as I left it when my father died. I went to the closet, setting my can down and grabbed some clothes to take home. 

I went through the house, just as quiet, and grabbed some of the personal things I wanted. Astrid and I would split the photos, but we were giving some of our parents clothing to the goodwill, as they wanted. I took a few of my mother's old dresses and a few of my father's cardigans. A lot of the things in the basement had already gone, because my mother went through them, giving a lot of things to goodwill. I got her sowing machine and then, I put everything in my car. 

I stayed at the house, for a while, watching tella novellas. Laughing at the jokes and the parts I understood. As Sylvester lay on my lap, I imagined my father beside me, chuckling too, telling me that we should watch the Discovery Channel.

*

"I took mama's rocking chair, if you're okay with that." Astrid said softly once we were at her home.

"It's fine, it's for you and the baby." I looked over at the refurnished chair. My mother had gotten it fixed for Astrid anyway...it was a Christmas gift.

"So, um...how did you feel being in the house?" Astrid leaned against the changing table.

"I watched novellas for two hours." 

Astrid burst into laughter, "No shit? Did you hear dad's laugh?"

I nodded, "Yes. I ate sugar cookies and drank at the counter and in our room."

She smirked at me, "Mama would have skinned you."

"I know." I smiled to myself and sat in the rocking chair.

"Y'know...I never thought I'd ever get over our parents dying," Astrid started slowly, "like, when I was younger. I thought if they ever died before me, I'd lose my mind...but, I'm okay. I mean, I miss them like hell, but I know they're okay."

I exhaled softly, "No pain, no hurt. The only thing is that...they'll never see us have babies."

Astrid's eyes started to swell, "They'll never meet Daniel."

I got up and went to her, hugging her tightly, "It's okay, Astrid. They may not meet him physically, but you know they're always going to be here."

She nodded, "Yeah, but it just...it hurts how alone I feel..." she looked up at me, her eyes wide and troubled, "you and I don't have our parents anymore. Our grandparents all passed and our uncles and aunts. We're all alone."

I shook my head, "No we aren't, Trid. We have our husband's, y'know. We have the Ways, and you have Mrs. Iero, who is so amazing, and sweet, and Mr. Iero who's like the opposite of Frankie," I chuckled, "He loves helping out around here, he can't wait for his grandchild."

She smiled, her emotions slowly turning over, "Yeah, you're right."

"And, we have Allie, Mikey, and Ray and Bob. The Way's are amazing, are they not?" she nodded, "See, we aren't alone. We have family, even if they aren't blood, we have family. You and Frankie are starting your own little unit of love."

She beamed at me, hugging me again, "Thank you, Stormy, you know just what to say."

"You're welcome, Astrid." I hugged my sister back, hoping she's never feel as if she were alone ever again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of think I spoil you guys sometimes :)
I've always take Sundays off, but I love writing this story do much, I want to post everyday!
So, this is a filler of sorts. Sorry. Tomorrow the update will be better.

Thanks for reading :)