Arrangements

Just saying

It was another month before Astrid finally called. It was about the end of January, near her birthday, and I had just gotten home from a meeting in Las Vegas.

"Stormy?" Her voice was soft.

"Astrid?"

"Yeah, it's me...what're you...doing?"

I smirked to myself, "I just walked in the door of my home. What're you doing?"

She sighed, "Are you busy?"

"Not at the moment."

"Will you please come visit me? I'm...feeling very overwhelmed and Frank's on tour, and Danny is sick," she rambled pathetically, "I need you."

"Yeah, I'll come. What's wrong? Why do you feel overwhelmed?"

"I can't explain it over the phone, just come see me."

"Okay, okay."

***

I landed in New Jersey, before it fully hit me that I was there. I was back in Jersey after nearly a year, and it seems that I went through the motions. I hadn't even rested before I caught a cab right back to the airport, bought a one way ticket to Jersey without a second thought. I guess it was the way Astrid spoke, like she needed me. Why did she need me, exactly.

I had gotten through my gate, and grabbed some fast food before I caught a cab to her house. I wasn't thinking, y'know, it was like I was on a mission. It was what I had to do.

I knocked on her door, my bag in my hand and waited. I could hear a baby crying, and then the door opened. I saw a tired looking Astrid, and she immediately engulfed me in the hardest hug her arms and body could muster. She let out a son as I dropped my bag and hugged her back. "What took you so long?!" She cried.

I laughed, rolling my eyes, "Well, I would've got here faster, but the pilot refused to let me drive."

She let go, "Help me, please." Her eyes pooled with tears.

"Okay, okay."

I followed Astrid into her house, where the living room was disheveled with toys and bottles. I set my bag down, heading over to Danny, who was sitting in his play pen crying loudly. I picked him up, feeling his forehead, he stopped wailing and only began to sob. He wasn't running a fever, he wasn't wet, and then I checked his mouth; sure enough the boy was already teething. 

"Do you have any peaches?" I turned to Astrid.

"Peaches?" she sat down, rubbing her head.

"To wrap in a small, cloth towel. We can cut a slice, freeze it and wrap it in the cloth. Danny is teething."

Astrid exasperated, "Holy shit, that's it." She grumbled tiredly.

"Do you have them?" She shook her head, "Go get some, and start cutting them up. I'll let him chew on  something mushy."

By the night fall Danny had stopped crying, got his peaches and fell asleep. Astrid looked like she was going to fall over soon, she just laid on the couch. I sat down too, barely noticing the heaviness that weighed on my shoulders.

"This is the first time, in almost a month, since he's stopped crying." She mumbled.

"You should read those baby books, I hate when you just go with your gut."

"Never failed before." She yawned, "You are a natural, Stormy. I missed you, y'know."

"I know. I missed you, too."

"Frankie kept telling me to call you, but you know me."

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah."

She sighed, "Gerard got clean...really clean."

I raised my brow, "Good for him."

"He was spiraling, y'know, and then--"

I stopped her, "Astrid, please, I don't wanna talk about Gerard."

"I'm just telling you...he asks me about you."

"I'm surprised he wants to be associated with a slut such as myself." I mumbled sarcastically and  leaned back against the couch.

"He's really sorry about what he said...he came to me, to call you, and it was back when you had went to Europe, in September...I told him that he should clean himself up, and he did, like back in December."

"I'm happy for him, but why are you telling me? Gerard and I are over; I've just been too busy to get the actual divorce papers together."

"He saw that you go by Stormy Jaco again, too."

"It's nothing against him," I lied, "I rather go by the maiden name."

"He misses you, Stormy."

"What can I do? I don't miss him at all." 

-It was true. I didn't miss Gerard. Sometimes I did, but not all the time.

"You're with Alex, aren't you?"

"Yes and no."

"What?" 

I sighed, "Me and Alex sleep together, that's it. No strings attached."

"I like you better with Gerard. You should see him now..." She gave me a look, and I rolled my eyes.

"Drop it, Astrid."

"Hey, I was just saying."

"Quit plotting and saying." I kicked my shoes off, "What're you doing for your birthday?"

"Nothing. I'm a mom now." Astrid yawned and crossed her arms.

"Just because you're a mom doesn't mean you have to give everything up."

She scratched her head, "I never thought it would be this hard, Stormy," she said quietly, "Danny cries all the time, and Linda can't help too much, and Frank is always on the road. When he is here, he goes off into the basement, or he plays with his fucking guitar!" 

I saw Astrid's eyes start to water. She gave a soft sob and then covered her eyes. I sighed, scoot over and wrapped my arms around her, "It's okay, Trid."

She rested her cheeks against my shoulder. I rubbed her back and then she sniffed, pulling away slowly, "I love Danny, and I love Frank...but sometimes, it's too much."

"You shouldn't get frustrated so fast."

She nodded, "I know, I know, but I get frustrated with Frank. Frank doesn't help me, and he ignores me sometimes...he says that he's living his dream, and I should understand," she wiped her eyes, "I never really got to live out my dreams, either. Y'know, I wanted to play in a band, too."

I bit at my lip, "Maybe he's overwhelmed, too, Astrid,"

She coursed her hair, "I don't want to divorce him, but I don't know if I can stay with Frank."

My eyes nearly bulged, "Oh, God...Astrid, I don't...know what to say."

"I can't be with him if he doesn't want to help me. I have needs and wants, and he doesn't care!" She sobbed again, "I love him to death, Stormy, but...things aren't going how I wish they would."

I was growing a massive headache just thinking of the things that would happen if Astrid and Frank separated. I knew Frank would probably blame it on me, I just had a feeling. I didn't want my nephew growing up with separated parents, because no child deserves that. 

But, I couldn't tell my sister not to leave Frank. I couldn't make her stay, make her happy. I just felt as if it were me that were stuck.
♠ ♠ ♠
Before I head out to work. Here you go :)
I don't know what to say, I was half lucid when I wrote this last night.