Status: Taking A Break

It Could Happen To Anyone

Wow

Jeff

“Jeff I- Oh Great,” Jill says, holding hands with me and walking into the living room. Andrew and Melanie were making out on the couch.

Melanie quickly pulls away. She was pink in the face, “Hey you guys, what have you two been up to?”

Jill doesn’t answer only looking at Andrew. “Andrew can you come here for a second?”

He shrugs and gets up. Jill drags him into the hallway. “Hey,” I say to Melanie when Andrew and Jill have left.

“Hey,” she says back. “I’m sorry about Andrew, he’s just so protective, it’s actually one of the reasons I like him,”

“Okay, is he like this with all her boyfriends?”

“Well,” Melanie says shrugging, “She has only had two,”

“You’re moving too fast, you only broke up with Peter three months ago,” I hear Andrew yell from the hallway.

“We weren’t right for each other!” Jill screams back.

“So,” I say loudly, “Where do you go to college?”

“NC State with Andrew, we’re both in Law school,” She says proudly.

I nod, “Wow, so how long have you guys been together?”

Melanie was about to answer but we hear Jill scream again, “Why can’t you just be happy for me?”

“Almost two years,” She answers pretending like there was no interruption.

“Wow,” I say. “That’s really long!”

Melanie laughs. Just then Jill comes back in with Andrew, both of them surprisingly smiling.

“Andrew says he’s sorry and that he’ll give you a chance,” Jill says and Andrews nods.

I smile. I guess this is a start. “Well,” I say, “Should we go?”

Jill’s face goes serious, “Go where?”

I laugh, “It’s a surprise,”

Jill laughs “Okay, Andrew, Melanie, I will see you two later,”

Melanie smiles “See you!”

“Alright so seriously, where are we going?” Jill asks as we get into my truck.

“I told you, it’s a surprise,”

“No! Jeff one thing you should know about me is that I hate surprises!” Jill says looking dead serious.

I shrug, “No one hates surprises, but alright, we are going to a dinner with some of my teammates,”

She laughs, “Gotcha! I love surprises but I hate not knowing,”

“Wow really? Man you got better at bluffing,”

She laughs, “Thank you, so who’s going to this dinner?”

I shrug, “Just Eric Staal and his wife, Tanya, Cam Ward and his wife, Cody, Brandon Sutter and his girlfriend Lucy, and Brian Boucher and his wife, Melissa after meeting you a couple nights ago, they wanted to see you again,”

“Just? You must go back to my house!”

I stop the car, “Why?”

“Because,” she says struggling to think of what to say, “Because this is your hockey family and I want to impress them!”

“Impress them how? By looking nice?” I ask raising my eyebrows, she nods. “You always look great.”

Jill tries and fails to hide a smile, “But I still want to go back to my house,” She says folding her arms across her chest.

I roll my eyes, “Okay let’s go,” I say pulling into the nearest driveway to turn around.

“Have I ever told you I love you?” She asks sarcastically.

I smile changing it from sarcasm to serious, “No, you haven’t,”

Her face turns red. I could see why, I just met her two days ago. I wonder if she actually loves me. I can’t already love her. Can I? For the rest of the car ride back to her house I was debating whether it’s possible that I can already love her. The car was silent but she didn’t seem to mind, I think she was in her own thoughts too.

“I’m giving you thirty minutes to get ready, it’s already 5:20 and I need to go back to my place.”

“Okay,” Jill says as she gets out of the car.

I turn on the radio but I don’t listen. I keep thinking about Jill. She is an amazing girl but is it possible that already I love her? The next thirty minutes pass by quickly while I think about everything Jill and I have been through in the past two days.
Jill comes out looking amazing. She was wearing a red strapless dress with black shoes, her brown hair falls beautifully across her bare shoulder. As she gets back into the car she looks at me, “Jeff are you okay?”

I nod, “You look- Wow you look great!”

Her cheeks turned pink, I think mine did the same. “Thanks Jeff,” She says smiling. “So to the dinner?”

I shake my head, “I need to go back to my place, then to the dinner,”

“What for?” she asks.

“Well you look amazing; I should try to look nice too,”