Status: Taking A Break

It Could Happen To Anyone

I'm Not

“I’ve been a good person,” I mumble, “What did I do to deserve this?”

“What are you talking about honey?” My mom’s soothing voice asks.

I felt something cold being pressed against my forehead so I opened my eyes.

My mom was pressing a damp wash cloth on my face like she always does when I’m sick.

“Mom he’s gone.” I say.

She frowns, “Whose gone?”

“Jeff!” I exclaim.

She shakes her head and calls, “Jeff?”

There he was. I never realized just how cute he really was. His short brown hair was curly and out of place and his beautiful, warm brown eyes watched me with concern. I never realized just how much he cared about me. I never realized it, that is until he broke up with me.

I was blinking back tears every time I saw his face but I wanted to look at him, one last time.

“Jeff can I talk to you?” I asked. “Alone?” I asked looking at my mother.

She nodded and got up quietly. Jeff slowly walked in and sat on the edge of the bed.

“Why did you stay?” I asked.

“Because I wanted to make sure you were okay.” He answered quietly.

“Not great.” I snapped trying to conceal the anger rising in me.

“Should I leave?” He asked getting up.

“No!” I answered automatically.

He looked at me but sat back down, more comfortable this time.

“You’re the one for me.” I said finally.

He half-smiled and got up.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

He walked over to my face and kissed me. “I’m not going anywhere.”

I smiled as he kissed me again. I wrap my arms around my neck so he couldn’t lift away. He took his arms off me and looked at me.

“What?” I asked not being able to read his expression.

He shook his head, “Nothing.” I knew something was wrong.

“Just tell me!” I pleaded.

He shrugged, “There’s nothing.”

“Fine.” I said although I was still waiting for him to tell me. If Peter is back in town, I’m afraid to see what’s going to happen. Especially since Shea is going out with him. “Shea.” I muttered getting up and opening the closet.

I grabbed the waist line of my pajama pants and was about to take them off when I noticed that Jeff was still sitting on my bed. “Do you think maybe I could get some privacy?” I asked trying to be sarcastic although I really meant it. He nodded and walked over to me.

“I’ll be waiting in the kitchen sweetheart.” He said before kissing me again.

After Jeff left I quickly put on some shorts, a shirt and my rainbows. I went down stairs and checked my hair in the mirror while I heard Jeff talking with my mom in the kitchen.

“Did something happen between you guys?” My mom asked, she’s always so nosy.

“No she was just sick, why do you ask?” He answered.

I walked in, interrupting their conversation. “C’mon Jeff, we have to go.”

“Go where?” he asked.

“Shea’s house.” I answered plainly.

“Could you drop off this dish?” My mom asked, handing me a pretty dish that had different sorts of flowers covering it. “They were here two nights ago. So was Peter, have you talked to him yet since...” My mom’s voice trailed off knowing that was a touchy subject for me.

“No.” I lied, “I haven’t seen him for months.”

“Oh well, he’s staying here for a couple days.” She said quickly.

“Mom!” I complained.

“I’m sorry!” She answered, “He’s a nice boy, I never really understood why you....” She stopped herself again. “Jill we’re having another family dinner tonight. Yes Peter is coming. Yes you have to go, and yes Jeff you are more than welcomed to come.” She said smiling.

Jeff smiled back, “I’ll be there.”

“This is going to be horrible.” I said as we got back into Jeff’s Chevy rental.

“What is?” He asked.

I thought about telling him what I saw. Shea and Peter making out. How I felt jealous. And how I don’t want to still have feelings for Peter but I think I do. I’d hate for my problems to ruin our relationship. I love Jeff. I REALLY love Jeff and I’d hate for that to change. I’m afraid it will. My world is going haywire but the one thing I know is that Jeff loves me and I love him and that’s enough to keep me sane in this mess I’ve created.

“Jill?” He asked after I didn’t answer.

“Nothing. I just don’t know if I feel up to eating all of my mom’s food because I’ll probably eat too much and throw up.” It was a bad lie but it made Jeff laugh so I just smiled. Soon this is going to come around and bite me in the butt. ‘If I can just keep it up for a bit longer’ I kept telling myself, ‘I can solve these emotional problems myself and will never have to tell Jeff’.

“Do you remember where Shea’s house is?” He nodded and turned into Shea’s neighborhood.

“Would you mind staying in the car? I’ll only be in there for a few minutes.” Jeff nodded and handed me the plate. “Thanks.” I said, and started walking towards the door.

“Hey Mrs. Burnett.” I say when Shea’s mom answered the door. “Here’s your plate. Is Shea here?”

She smiled and said, “Thank you, and yeah upstairs. I wouldn’t go up there though, she’s been crying and won’t tell me why.”

I bit my lip and nodded as I turned and started up the stairs. “Shea?” I called as I knocked on her door.

“Go away mom!” She yelled.

I tried to open the door but she locked it. I went around to her bathroom and to the door that connects it to her room. I closed my eyes and turned the knob to find it unlocked.

“What are you doing here?” She snapped as I walked in.

“Shea, I’m really sorry I was just caught off guard and I was sick.”

She shook her head, “Don’t lie! You’re jealous.” I looked around the room not meeting her eyes. She smirked, “You were don’t deny it.”

“I’m not.” I answered trying to stay calm.

“You know, I don’t understand why you would break up with ihm in the first place if you still like him.”

“I don’t!” I half yell.

“Sure. You have JEFF SKINNER why are you so obsessed with Peter?”

“I’m not!” I kept saying. At first I wasn’t sure whether I still had feelings but the more I keep denying it the more it seems to be true.

“Jill why can’t you just be happy for me?”

“I am! It’s just, when did this happen?”

“At the dinner party,” She answered.

“So after two days you were making out with my boyfriend?” I rushed out not realizing my mistake.

“Uh YOUR boyfriend? Correction; He’s mine! Deal with it! No matter how jealous you are!”

I didn’t know what else to say so I stormed out of her room, down the stairs and out of the front door.

The first thing I did as I got into the car was lean over to the drivers seat and crush my lips against Jeff’s.

“That was unexpected.” He joked.

I smiled glad that the kiss reassured me that I truly love Jeff no matter what feelings I have for Peter.

“This will be an interesting night.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Like it says, this will be interesting. Would you please comment? I liked that you guys did but I meant continuously. And you should because I used such a long fancy word.