Status: In Progress

My Day in Yoga

You Look Young

I rolled out my purple mat on the hardwood floor sat down and texted my friend, Abby. I noticed someone come and sit down next to me. I glanced up really fast and saw that it was a young guy. That’s a first, I thought. Most of the people I take yoga with are at least over 30, mostly because I take early morning classes, when most normal girls my age are sitting in school. Sometimes I think it is a good thing for me to do independent studying. It definitely helps my dance career, if I want to make it on Broadway I need to put all of my focus into dance, not into Biology. I finished my text and took some time to look at who was sitting next to me.

“Hey.” He said as he sat down on his red mat.

“Hi.” I said. When my brain registered who was sitting next to me I nearly screamed. Jeff Skinner, just sat down next to me in Yoga at 8:47 on February 15th 2011, this needs to be documented.

“Is it OK if I sit here? I would prefer to sit next to someone who looks to be about my age.” He said.

“Oh yeah it’s fine. Normally I am the only one under 30 in this class.” I said putting my phone in my bag trying to be totally calm and cool.

“You look young, shouldn’t you be in school?” Jeff said.

“I could say the same for you. Actually, I dance like, intensely, so l don’t really have time for school. I do independent studies so I can spend most of my time training.” I said.

“Actually I’m 18 so I don’t have to be in school. I have to take yoga for training to, only I’m not a dancer.” He said laughing.

“OK, I’m not going to lie. I totally know that you are a professional hockey player. My younger brother like worships you.”

“Then I take it you understand why I’m here, and I am flattered.” He said as the teacher walks in.

“Welcome to yoga. My name is Sonya please ask me to help you with anything. Now let’s begin.” Sonya said. I kept sneaking little peaks at Jeff as we did our exercises. Normally I really get into my own little world in yoga but today my whole focus was on Jeff. He was actually really good at all the balance exercises, which I guess I shouldn’t be surprised at because he can skate around on half a centimeter of metal.

“That is all for today.” Sonya said. Wow, class is over already. It went by too fast.

“Hey, I don’t think I ever did catch your name.”

“Mia Paige.” I said.

“Jeff Skinner.” He said shaking my hand. “So Mia would you like to go grab some coffee?”

“Can we do smoothies? There is an awesome place right up the road.” I said picking up my bag and rolling up my mat.

“Smoothies are cool.” He said holding the door open for me. I noticed we were the last to leave. I started cracking up and Jeff just had a puzzled look on his face. “What?”

“Get it like you said smoothies are cool and like smoothies really are cool, cool as in cold.” I said. When he finally got it he laughed a little. “Yeah, I laugh at stupid things that make no sense.”

“It’s cool.” He said. “Ready to go?”

“Yeah.” I said. “Do you want to just ride with me? Then I can bring you back here?”

“Sure that works.” Jeff said. We walk out to the car, I put my mat in the backseat, and Jeff does the same. I have a whole bunch of dance clothes and shoes all over the floor.

“Oh, sorry.” I said and moved the clothes aside. “I don’t really clean up often.”

“I know what you mean. I only clean up when my family comes around.” He said getting in and buckling his seatbelt.

“My brother cleans up better than me.”

“How old is your brother?” Jeff asked.

“15. We are two years apart.” I said.

“Then that’s impressive he cleans up.” Jeff said. “My mom was really strict about that kind of stuff. With all of us kids our house was a disaster area.”

“How many siblings do you have?” I said starting the car.

“Three older sisters, one younger, and one older brother.”

“Whoa, big family.”

“No kidding.” He said.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment. This is a new story and I can't wait to see where this story is going to go