Status: In Progress

My Day in Yoga

Back Off Staal

I spent the rest of the morning bargaining with Nate, trying to get him to promise not to tell mom. I finally got him to promise, but now I have to wash his hockey stuff for the rest of the season. I moped around the house all afternoon then got ready to go to Jeff’s.

“Mia?” My mom called up the stairs.

“Yeah?” I hollered.

“What do you want for dinner? I have some mac’n’cheese down here.” I jogged down the stairs and into the kitchen. Nate sat at the counter eating macaroni.

“I don’t want anything. I’m going to Jeff’s.” I said and grabbed a jacket.

My mom gave me a concerned look. “Fine, but I want you home by midnight. We have to pick your father up at the airport early tomorrow, remember?”

“KK!” I called over my shoulder and went out to my car.

***

I rang Jeff’s doorbell and he pulled me inside. It was dark and the TV was playing an old Hurricanes game, which cast an eerie blue glow across the living room and kitchen. It smelled like fresh, buttery popcorn. A tall, blonde guy sat on the couch eating a bowl of popcorn.

Jeff gave me a hug and kissed my temple. “Yo Justin, get out.” He said.

“Wow, way to introduce me to,” Justin pretended to think for a minute. “Kelly, no no, Lacey? Brittany! Kelsey?” Jeff shook his head.

“Mia.” I said.

“Right, right.” He said. “It’s hard to remember all Jeff’s little ladies.” I chuckled.

“Dude!” Jeff said sounding frustrated. “OUT!” Justin backed away into the hall. “Sorry about him.”

“It’s ok, and he left us popcorn.” I said grabbing some. Jeff pulled me into his lap and kissed me softly. I leaned my forehead onto his and kissed his nose.

“I can go make more popcorn if you want.”

“Nah, I’m good right here with you.” I whispered.

Jeff clicked the remote, turned the TV off, and pulled me close. He kissed me again. Someone knocked really loud on the door, and Jeff pulled away. “JUSTIN, GET THE DOOR!” He called.

Justin came out of his room, “Aren’t I supposed to tell you what to do, not the other way around?”

“Hey Justin. Hey Jeff.” A guy called. “And who are you?” He said leaning over the back of the couch his face inches from mine.

“Back off Eric.” Jeff said putting his arm between us.

“I just want to know her name.” Eric said.

“Mia.” I said. “Hi.”

“Eric Staal, captain of the Hurricanes.”

“Back OFF STAAL!” Jeff growled. “Just leave her alone.”

He came around and sat next to us, and Jeff pulled me closer. “Is your wife Tanya, and Parker right?” I asked.

“Yup, that’s them.” He said grabbing a handful of popcorn. “It’s awful dark in here, don’t you think Justin?”

“Yeah, it is. “ Justin said sarcastically turning on every light in the room. “There that’s better, now I can actually see her face.”

Jeff stood up and reached for my hand.”Let’s go Mia.” I followed him back to his room. A chorus of ‘ooohs’ followed us and I laughed.