One Week

Viernes – Friday – Fredag

There were few things in the world more beautiful than then the sight before her in that moment, Emma decided as she sat curled up in an unfamiliar bed, watching her husband leaning back against the headboard, their son sleeping softly on his t-shirt clad chest.

Watching Fernando with Hugo, or any child under the age of three if she was honest, had caused her ovaries to ache ever since they first got back together and watching him with their son was…she didn’t even have the words to accurately describe what she was feeling.

“Hm?” she had to almost shake herself out of her musings as she realized that he’d asked her something.

“Did I do the right thing?” Fernando asked softly, not wanting to wake the sleeping baby as he’d finally fallen asleep, it was almost as if he sensed that something was…different.

“I don’t know,” she replied honestly, her eyes for a moment flickering towards the TV he was watching, that was showing Sportsline. The only topic was – somewhat anticlimactic – Fernando’s upcoming debut with his new club. Interspersed with pictures from Liverpool when the news was official and comments about his betrayal of course… “I really don’t,” she added before leaning over and brushing her lips against his cheek.

“I just…” he trailed off, his mind was going a hundred miles an hour yet he couldn’t put his thoughts into words.

“You can’t think about it like that,” she stated. “It’s done, this is our home now, we can’t…” she licked her lips. “We can’t make it undone, we can’t change it, so you shouldn’t waste time thinking about it.”

“You resent me for deciding this,” he noted as he turned his head and his brown eyes locked with her blues ones, scrutinizing her.

“I don’t resent you,” she shook her head. “I…I'm not happy about it, but this isn’t going to be the rest of our lives,” she decided to stick to the diplomatic route even if it might come back and bite her in the ass. “Football isn’t going to be forever, and I'm pretty sure that Madrid is actually our home,” she revealed with a smile, knowing that that was going to get a smile from him – she wasn't wrong. “Instead of spending two months every year in a summer home, we spend the summer months in our real home,” she decided, realizing that she just needed to put her feet down and pull her head out of the sand. This was her life now, transfers and moves included.

“I love you,” he said sincerely, the look in his eyes so earnest that she might have cried.

“I love you too,” she told him before leaning closer and brushing her lips against his, cuddling up next to him as she ran her hand over their sleeping son’s head.

Life is never perfect, but that doesn’t mean it’s a letdown…