Until the Tide Returns

Revelations

It was Friday night, the night of the school dance and I was ready to go. I had been for the past hour, too nervous to sit still. I had a short black strapless dress and black heels on. My hair was in a bun at the base of my neck a few strands hanging around my face. I sat in the armchair desperately hoping I looked ok.

Billy wasn’t home. He had left a few hours ago to go to his restaurant. He clearly wasn’t too concerned with what I was doing tonight. He knew I was going, but all he said was ‘Have fun.’ and then he was out the door. I wasn’t entirely sure what the point in having him here was since he wasn’t really around too much.

I was rather hoping to get a call from my dad or even speak to him at this point. He had been gone for over a week and had not once called home. I tried him a couple of times. I left a voicemail seeing as he never actually answered when I called. It bothered me that he answered when Landon called.

The doorbell rang and I shot out of my chair to open it. Loraine, Tank and Landon stood there smiling at me. “Are you ready?” Loraine asked bouncing slightly.

“Actually could I talk to you for a second?” I held the door open and all three of them walked in. I signaled for Loraine to follow me into the garage.

“This is starting to look like a bad horror film.” She joked closing the door behind us. The light in the garage was flickering, a wall full of tools was directly in her line of sight. She glanced around her eyes falling on my painting. “Did you do that?

“Do I look ok?” I ignored her question. I didn’t have anyone to ask before they got here seeing as my absent uncle was, as usual, absent. She looked me over and smiled.

“You my dear, look positively stunning. Now let’s get out of here before my face melts. Or you have a psychotic break and use that hatchet on me.” She grabbed my hand and pulled me behind her out of the garage.

“Everything ok?” Tank asked.

“Totally. She wanted to show me some badass painting.” Loraine turned to me cocking a brow. “That I’m assuming you painted.”

“Yep.” Tank and Loraine walked towards the door. Landon hesitated a moment and then stepped closer to me.

“Are you sure you want to do this?” He knew I was nervous about the dance. After our lunch the other day we had gone to his house to watch movies talking about various things as they played. I learned a lot about him.

“100 percent.” I promised him. He smiled and took my hand in his as we walked out the door.

------------------------------------

I wasn’t entirely sure what to expect as we walked into the gym where the dance was being held. They place was covered in black, gold, and white. The school colors. A stage had been set up for the DJ.

A few people stared at me as we walked in, I assumed it was because they didn’t know me. It didn’t take long for us to find Amy, Charles, Dean, Nat as well as Deans date Janey. Nat explained she was ‘flying solo’.

“Please don’t hold it against me,” Landon said softly into my ear, “but I’m a horrible dancer, so I’ll be remaining on the sidelines tonight.” Why would I hold it against him? I mean I’m not entirely sure I’m a great dancer seeing as my dancing only ever happens when I’m in my room. With my door shut. So why would he feel the need to tell me he wasn’t going to dance? In which case wouldn’t it be kind of pointless to come to a dance? The title is after all a verb.

I blinked at him a couple of times at a complete loss for words. How was I supposed to respond to that? He said we were coming as friends. In a group of friends no less.

“Beckett?” I looked over at Nat. “Dance with me?” The song playing was something upbeat, my guess in the pop genre. I was here at a dance, it could only be expected of me to dance. Even if I embarrassed myself. “Unless Landon has a problem with me stealing you.”

“Why would he-”

“Beckett, I’ve grown to love you, I really have, but you are so dense sometimes I swear.” Loraine said a harshness to her tone. The group seemed to settle a harsh gaze on her which she shrugged off and grabbed Tanks hand leading him out onto the dance floor. What had I done?

“Don’t listen to her.” Amy said consolingly patting my shoulder. “She’s just PMS-ing.” The excited nervousness had been completely wiped with Loraine’s statement. I now felt like I didn’t belong here, I just wanted to go back home and crawl under the sheets.

“I’ll um,” I need to get out of here, I felt like I was going to cry, “I’ll be right back.” I quickly turned and headed off towards the other side of the gym entirely unsure of where I was headed. Maybe if I was lucky I would find the bathroom. Or a closet. I gripped the clutch in my hands that held my spare key tightly as if it was the only thing holding me together.

I eventually found a door, relieved when it pushed open. From the looks of the room I assumed I was in the locker room, boys or girls I wasn’t sure. I didn’t care though, it was empty and that was all that mattered. I found a bench between two rows of lockers and sat down carefully smoothing out my dress.

Loraine could have been referring to what everyone was telling me, their belief that Landon had feelings for me. I didn’t see it though, we had spent nearly all of Wednesday together and I saw no indication of it. Sure there was what he had said to me in the hallway at Billy’s restaurant but I really didn’t think that meant anything. I think it was more of an attempt to make me laugh or something. Why does everything have to be so confusing?

Maybe it wouldn’t be if I hadn’t been trapped in that house nearly my entire life. I knew I couldn’t blame my dad though, he was just trying to protect me. If I had just stayed home and not snuck out that day none of this would be happening. I really needed to learn to listen to my father.

I couldn’t hide in here forever though. I would take a few minutes to compose myself and go back out and act like everything is fine. I heard the door I used to get in here open and close and I froze. How much trouble would I be in for being in here?

Footsteps slowly echoed through the empty room as if they were looking for something. Someone. I turned my head to the left waiting as they came closer.

“Are you ok?” Landon asked slowly approaching me.

I nodded and looked down at my hands. “Yeah, I just needed a moment to think.”

“Loraine shouldn’t have- you should know she didn’t mean it.” A small part of me knew that, but it didn’t hide the fact that it still stung.

I stood up slowly smoothing out my dress. “I should probably go back out there.” This was more to convince myself than him.

“Can we talk for a minute?” I nodded and he took a step closer to me. “Good, there’s something I’ve really been wanting to talk to you about.” He ran his hand through his hair nervously and then dropped it. He swallowed once, his adams apple bobbing, and took another step toward me. We were only a few inches apart now.

He lifted his hand and gently placed it behind my ear, his thumb resting on my cheek. Warmth flooded through me.

“I’ve been trying really hard not to scare you off and trying to take this slowly, but I’m think I need to speed this up just a bit.”

“What?” I was really tired of not understanding what people were talking about.

He leaned his head towards mine slowly, but not stopping as he spoke. “I like you Beckett, as a lot more than just a friend.” And then his soft warm lips were pressed against mine. It took my brain a few moments to process what was happening. He was kissing me! Landon was kissing ME! And it was wonderful. So completely wonderful. And then entirely too soon it ended. He pulled away and locked his eyes with mine. “Should I take the lack of physical violence as a good thing?” I smiled widely and nodded. Landon smiled back and kissed me again, this time longer, a lot longer. My lips seemed to act on their own and began moving along with his. I eventually pulled away so I could breathe. “We probably shouldn’t stay in here.” Landon whispered grabbing my hand and pulling me gently deeper into the locker room. We came to a door and Landon pushed it open gently. I followed him and found myself staring at a rather large pool. One much larger than the one in Loraine’s backyard.

“Is it ok if I stick my feet in?” It had been so long since I had been in a pool, and while I didn’t plan on jumping in or anything my father wasn’t here to keep me away from it. Landon chuckled lightly and nodded. I slipped my heels off and carefully lowered myself to the ground and then dipped my feet into the cool water. It was an amazing feeling I had long since forgotten.

My stomach clenched violently and I bent over in pain. This was so not good. I pulled my feet out and struggled to stand up. Landon helped me though I couldn’t stand up straight. I felt like I was going to vomit. I looked around searching for something to help me and spotted a trash can. I managed to run over and bend over it just in time to empty my stomach into it.

“Are you ok?” The panic in his voice was evident. I was about to tell him I was when I threw up again. What was happening? My body told me I needed to find water. The pool was full of it but I knew that wasn’t an option. I lifted my head and looked around again hoping to find something, anything. There was nothing. The locker room! There were sinks in there. I was also fairly certain I saw a shower or two. I swallowed down the next wave I felt coming up and ran towards the locker room flinging the door open and propelling myself into a shower just before I threw up once again. I found the faucet and turned the shower on. I closed my eyes letting the water absorb into my skin getting rid of the horrible feeling in my stomach. I sighed in relief

“Beckett?” I didn’t have to open my eyes to know who it was but I did anyway. Landon stood watching me his eyes wide. Though the expression on his face caught me off-guard. Instead of worrying how I was going to explain this to him like I should be, I was worried about how devastated he looked. “You’re the Keeper.” I could here the capitalization of the word in his voice. Wait. What? “How could I be so stupid?” I reached up and turned the water off.

“Landon” My voice was shaking, “what are you talking about?”

“The only reason the pool would have made you that sick that quick was if you were the Keeper. It’s the chemicals in the water. Your body was rejecting them.” Had he gone completely mad? “We need to get you out of here.”

“What are you talking about?” He sighed and held his hand out to me. I tentatively took it and let him lead me where he wanted. He held my shoes in his hand along with my clutch as we left the locker room, and the gym, once we were outside he pulled out his phone.

“Dad, I found her… we’re at the school.” He hung it up and slipped it back into his pocket.

“Landon?” He looked over at me and forced a small smile on his face.

“Don’t worry, my Dad will be here soon.”

“Why won’t you tell me what is going on?”

“I will, just not here. It isn’t safe.” He ran his hand through his hair. “What happened in the locker room, before the pool, it shouldn’t have happened.” I felt my heart crack in two. “It can’t happen again.” I didn’t say anything, I couldn’t. I had to focus all of my energy on not crying.

Eventually a large black SUV pulled up in front of us. Landon held the door to the backseat open and I numbly climbed in. I probably should have taken off running towards my house but I knew Landon wouldn’t hurt me… physically at least.

“I’m Joe.” The man in the drivers seat said turning to face me. I didn’t look at him though, instead I closed my eyes hoping this was all a nightmare and I would wake up soon. Landon sat up front.

“You’re going to want to call Billy.” Landon said.

“No,” I said my voice cracking, “I won’t.” I had no idea what was going on. 20 minutes ago had been the happiest moment of my life. 5 minutes ago had been the worst. I wasn’t up to dealing with Billy at the moment.

“At least let him know what’s going on.” I opened my eyes then and looked at him.

“How am I supposed to do that when you won’t tell me anything?” He sighed and handed me his phone. Maybe I should call Billy. He could come pick me since I didn’t want to be anywhere near Landon right now. I dialed the number and pressed send bringing the phone to my ear.

“Is this Landon or Beckett?” Billy said. His voice seemed to comfort me, something I didn’t expect.

“Landon saw me and now he’s taking me somewhere.”

“HE’S WHAT!?” I held the phone back from my ear.

“Just tell him to meet us at my house.” Landon said from the front seat.

“He said to meet us at his house.” I relayed.

“If he lays one hand on-”

“Billy, he’s not going to touch me. Trust me.” I could taste the bitterness in my tone. Maybe it was the vomit. “Just come quick ok?”

“I’m already on my way.”

“One more thing. Don’t tell Dad.”

“I’m not making any promised kid.” Billy said before hanging up. I sighed and rested my head on the window. “If either of you try anything Billy will have no problem beating you to death.” I warned. “He’s on his way and already pissed at you.”

“We’re not going to hurt you Beckett.” Landon sighed. “We’re here to protect you.”

“Protect me from what?” I leaned forward slightly.

“We’ll explain when Billy gets here.” That would be awhile. I wasn’t taking any chances. I knew I was safe around Landon, but I didn’t know who Joe was. I also wasn’t going to sit around for the next hour waiting for them to tell me what they knew.

“Or you tell me now and I don’t call the cops.” I still had Landons phone.

“Just at least let us get to the house first.” Joe sighed. I shrugged and settled back into my seat. We all remained silent as we rode back to Landon’s house.

I realized soon after we got into the house that Joe was Landons father. The family portrait on the wall was what gave it away. Landon looked more like his mother who stood in the living room a soft smile on her face.

“Hello dear, I’m Phoebe, Landon’s mother.”

“Beckett.” I smiled politely.

“Would you like anything to eat? I just made some chicken salad.”

“Mom I don’t think-”

“I would love some.” I said cutting Landon off.

“Alright, I’ll be back in moment. Make yourself at home dear we have a lot to talk about.” She turned to go into the kitchen and then stopped and turned back to me. “I’m sorry your night got ruined, you look very pretty, but we’re going to be here awhile so if you’d like something more comfortable to sit in I’m sure I can find you something.” I looked down at my dress and sighed.

“That would be great.” Phoebe again promised she would be back in a moment and left the room.

“It’s really ok to tell her no.” Landon said softly. “She can be a bit overbearing at times.”

“That’s an understatement.” Joe laughed.

“She’s being nice.” I snapped unsure of why I felt the need to defend her. Maybe it was because I didn’t have my mother in my life and would have given anything for her to be there. Especially now. She came back with a small set of clothes.

“Landon, I hope you don’t mind if she borrows some of yours, there’s a bit of a weight difference between us.” Phoebe was curvy at the most, but I was pretty much a beanpole.

“It’s fine.” He took the clothes from his mother and handed them to me. “You can change in my room.” I did as he said and came back out where the three of them were sitting waiting for me. The only other person in his family who I had met before, his grandfather, was nowhere in sight. I took a seat on the couch trying to put as much space between Landon and I as it would allow. He tells me he likes me, he kisses me, and then he tells me it shouldn’t have happened. I wasn’t exactly happy with him.

“Beckett, what do you know about your mother?” Phoebe asked handing me a sandwich.

“Only that she and my father hooked up just before he left for college. He didn’t know her name and he says he didn’t give her his, but 9 months later she dropped me off at his dorm in a basket with a note.”

“And you haven’t heard from or seen her since?” Joe asked.

“No.”

“What did the note say?” Phoebe asked.

“Just that I was his kid and that she named me.”

“And there was nothing else in the basket?”

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking questions?” I sighed. “The only thing in the basket was infant me in a blanket and the note to my dad. Sorry but that’s it. So would you please tell me what the hell it is you know about me because I would really like an explanation.” I took a bite of the sandwich. “This is really good.” I said to Phoebe. She smiled at me.

“Beckett, your mother is the Keeper of the Tide.” Joe said. I stared at him blankly. Was that supposed to make an sense? “We know you have a special bond with water.” Special bond?

“I think I’m more of a water magnet.”

“That’s another way to put it.” Landon said gently.

“When you turn 18 you will become the new Keeper.” Joe said. “The worst place for you to be living right now is the desert. You need to go back east. Our family has been protectors of the Keepers until they come into their power for centuries. We were sent here by your mother to look after you Beckett, we just weren’t sure who you were, and since your father kept you in the house all these years it made finding you difficult.” He leaned back in his chair slightly. “Landon is your protector, he’s here to help you through this, help you learn to use your power until your next birthday in which you are to go find your mother so she can pass the responsibility to you.”

“What?” I was beyond confused at this point.

“Landon can explain everything to you better, but for now what you really should be doing is heading back to the east coast. It‘s safer for you there, it isn‘t as dry and Landon will be there to protect you. But you need to go. Tonight. This climate is incredibly dangerous for you.”

“Can I have a minute with her?” Landon asked his parents. They nodded and slowly left the room. When they were gone he scooted closer to me and took my hands in his. I should have pulled them away but I didn’t want to.

“I know this is a lot to process but I want you to be safe. I need you to be safe. You said your dad is in Maryland right?” I nodded. “Ok, then that’s where we’ll go. Just give me a few minutes to pack, we’ll go to your house so you can pack and then we’ll start driving out there.” I didn’t want to leave. But everything they were saying on some level made sense and I knew I had to. Landon left me in the living room and went to pack. Joe came back out just as the doorbell rang.

“Where is she?” Joe stepped aside to let Billy into the house. Upon seeing me Billy rushed over and pulled me into a hug.

“I can’t breathe.” I gasped out. He let go of me.

“Are you ok?”

“I’m fine, but there’s a lot we have to talk about.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Tadaa! If you are at all confused there is a lot of explaining Landon will be doing.

raAwwrrosaurs- When I first started writing this her Mom was a mermaid, but then I changed it. So almost :)