Until the Tide Returns

Situations

Landon’s arm was tightly wrapped around my waist. This was the first thing I noticed after waking. The second thing was after I opened my eyes. Grey fabric with a few blue lines. His shirt. My head was on his shoulder, my hand on his chest, and he had his arms wrapped around me tightly. How did this happen?

The alarm that he had set for 8 went off and I jumped. Landon stirred slightly and his eyes opened. I tilted my head to look up at him unsure of what to do or say. How was I going to explain this to him? He lifted his right arm and reached up tucking my hair behind my ear his eyes locked with mine. “Good morning.” He said softly taking his hand and placing it over mine.

“Morning.” I looked away from his eyes wanting them to land on anything else. They went for his lips. Landon licked his lips and again I averted my gaze.

“I’m going to turn the alarm off now ok?” I nodded as Landon rolled us over and stretched over me switching the alarm off. He hovered over me unmoving, his eyes boring into mine. I remained still unsure of what exactly was going on. “I should probably go speak to Tyler.” He said softly. I nodded but still he did not move. “Would you mind going down and checking us out?”

“No.”

“We should get ready.” He said. “Meet me down by the pool after you’re done. I’ll take care of the bags.” He flashed me a smile and then pulled away quickly scooting off the bed. What the hell was that?

We didn’t say a word to each other as we got ready. When I went to leave the room Landon stopped me. “Do you know Tyler’s number?” I nodded. “Take my phone, call him if you need me.” I took his phone and slipped it into my pocket. Landon followed me out with the last bag that hadn’t been put in the car. “Any advice?”

“If he has any questions answer them honestly. Unless he asks where you slept. Tell him the floor.” I gave him a small smile and patted his shoulder. “Good luck.”

I had no idea what Tyler wanted to talk to Landon about. It worried me slightly since Tyler decided to pull the whole ‘protective uncle’ thing last night. I looked around to see if I could actually see Tina or Tyler, maybe then I could get some info, but I didn’t see anyone. The lobby was empty of guests and the staff all looked half asleep. “I’m here to check out.” I told the half asleep attendant. I pulled out the key cards and placed them on the counter.

“Did you enjoy your stay?” From his tone this was something I could tell he said routinely.

“Yeah, unexpectedly ran into my uncle.” He nodded and began typing away on the computer. He didn’t care.

“Alright, you are all set.” He pulled a piece of paper out of the printer and handed it to me. “Here’s your receipt, have a safe trip.” I walked out of the lobby folding the paper repeatedly until it was a neat square slowly making my way to the pool deck. Landons phone began buzzing in my pocket, the caller ID said Loraine so I decided to answer.

“Hel-”

“WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW FREAKED OUT I HAVE BEEN? YOU JUST VANISH OFF OF THE FACE OF THE PLANET WITHOUT A SINGLE FUCKING WORD! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?”

“Loraine.” I said trying to keep my voice calm. “It’s Beckett.”

“Beckett?” Luckily for my hearing she quit shouting into the phone, “Where is Landon? What the hell happened to the two of you? Billy and Landons parents won’t tell me anything.”

“Um.. We’re uh… taking a road trip to Maryland. My dad wanted me to come out there and I’m afraid of planes and Billy couldn’t do it because of the new restaurant and everything. So Landon offered.”

“Right, because I’m a total dumbass.” I could practically hear the roll of her eyes. “You’re the one he was looking for aren’t you? And now he’s taking you to god knows where to keep you safe.”

“How did-”

“Please, I’ve known about his little mission since we were like 5.” A timer went off in the background. “It makes sense that it’s you though. Also, I’m betting he doesn’t mind getting quite a bit of alone time. He’s got it for you. Bad.” I was still too stunned that she apparently knew about me as well to form words. “So did he make a move yet?” I found some.

“He uh kissed me at the dance. But then he found out about well, me and said it was a mistake and it couldn’t happen again.” I muttered pathetically.

“It will, trust me. I’ve seen the way he looks at you.”

“I really don’t think so.”

“Trust me Beckett, he will. Oh, right. I got a call last night from a certain aunt of yours. And she asked for my measurements because she wants to start sending me clothes. Any idea how that happened? Not that I’m not through the roof about it or anything.”

“She saw that you called last night and Landon told her who you were. We ran into her and Tyler at the hotel.”

“You guys stayed at a hotel? Last night? Together?” Did she expect us to sleep on the side of the road in the car? “I give it two days tops before he tries something with you again.”

“He’s pretty adamant that we remain friends or whatever.” I sighed.

“Yeah ok. Can I talk to him?”

“Tyler wanted to have a chat with him, so he’s not exactly around at the moment.” A loud splash from the pool startled me. I had been so busy focusing on my conversation with Loraine I hadn’t notice the guy who now cut through the water, or the few drops that now seeped into my skin. My stomach churned and I let out a small groan.

“Where are you are you ok?” The concern in her voice was thick.

“I guess you could say that I have an allergy to pool water.” It was only a few drops and I didn’t have the urge to vomit all over the deck. Yet. By now he had reached the opposite end of the pool and had turned around towards me his arms coming up and then cutting back down through the water. I watched in horror as water splashed up beside him. I already knew I had no way to get out of here before he reached me and Loraine was saying something that I only half heard. I think she was apologizing for something. I was screwed. So, so screwed. “HEY!” I screamed out.

“Holy fuck!” Loraine hissed. “Could you not do that while I have a phone pressed to my ear?” He didn’t stop and kept coming. So I did it again. He stopped. “OW!” Loraine yelled into the phone.

“Hold on.” I said quietly.

“No way, if you were yelling at someone like that this is something I have to hear. Put it on speaker. Just hit the menu-”

“I know how to do it just be quiet ok?” I put our conversation on speaker and sent daggers to the guy in the pool who treaded in front of me. “Could you please not splash? If I wanted to get wet I’d be in the pool not outside of it.” He swam over to the edge of the pool and pulled himself up and out of it.

Ok, so maybe I’ve never seen a man without a shirt unless it was on TV or my father. Maybe it was the fact that he was incredibly cut. Or this was some other thing about me I didn’t quite yet understand, but whatever it was I could not bring myself to look anywhere but at his torso. His really really nice torso.

“I’m sorry.” I slid my eyes up slowly meeting his gaze and perfect, white smile. “But if you want to stay dry I suggest you don’t sit out by the pool?”

“Is he hot?” Loraine’s voice came through the phone. “He sounds hot.” The ‘he’ in question smirked at me.

“I’m curious to hear what your answer is.” He sat down on the edge of the pool facing me dragging his fingers through the water. Why couldn’t she have just kept her mouth shut? Oh right. Because she’s Loraine.

“Only if you’re into the pompous jerk type.” I found myself saying. “Which I’m kind of thinking you aren’t considering you’re with Tank.”

“Oh, no I totally am. I just don’t date them.” She let out a sigh. “But they sure are nice to look at.” Pompous Jerk smiled wide.

“Believe me, I am.” In one rapid motion his hand dipped into the water and flicked forward sending water clear through the 10 feet between us and straight onto my leg.

“Did he just splash you?” Loraine no longer sounded curious. I slid my leg towards me quickly so he wouldn’t see it seep in gripping onto the edge of the lounge chair trying to hold back the nausea. I scanned the pool deck quickly looking for something to puke in, my only option would be the pool or the plants behind me. There was no way I would make it to the trash can on the other side of the deck.

“Loraine,” I groaned clutching my stomach. “I’ll call you later.”

“Find Landon Beckett, he’ll know what to do.” I nodded even though she couldn’t see me.

“Beckett!” Landon and Tyler rushed towards me.

“Man am I glad I did not hang up yet.” Loraine said. It was too late though, I bent my head over the edge of the chair and threw up onto the deck.

“What happened?” Landons voice was a mixture of concern and fury.

“No need to get riled up.” Pompous Jerk said, “Just having a bit of fun is all.” I closed my eyes and clutched my stomach willing the chlorine to be completely out of my system.

“Go get her a bottle of water.” Landon said, hastened footsteps soon followed.

“No need to look so pissed man. I was just messing with her.” I heard a step and then a loud splash.

“Will someone please give me the play by play?” Loraine called out.

“I’ll call you back.” Landon’s voice was shaking slightly. The weight on the chair shifted. Warm lips pressed to my forehead, a hand gripped my own. “Are you ok?” He said softly, his breath hot on my ear. I opened my eyes shocked by how close he was. His eyebrows were creased with worry.

“I’ll be fine.” He sighed and reached a warm hand up placing it on my cheek. “100% just as soon as Tyler gets back with that bottle.” The taste in my mouth was vile, I could only imagine what my breath smelled like. “And after I brush my teeth.”

“Can’t say I didn’t deserve that, and I can’t say I did.” Pompous Jerk said climbing out of the pool. Landon turned to look at him and the guy held his hand up. “You have one hell of a right hook, one that I don’t plan on meeting again. So, I’ll be going.”

“You punched him?” Landon turned back to me giving me a small smile.

“I’m here to protect you remember?”

“I didn’t realize that included physical violence?”

“Normally it doesn’t.” He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my forehead again. “I think I may have gone a bit beyond my actual duties.”

“Here you go kid.” Landon pulled away from me and I took the bottle of water from Tyler drinking it down greedily. I felt better immediately. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small bottle of mouthwash. I thanked him and rinsed my mouth out thoroughly spitting it out onto the already soiled deck. “As much as I would love to see you for awhile longer I know you two need to get going.”

Landon stood up and shook Tyler’s hand. I swung my feet over to the other side of the chair and stood up giving him a hug.

“Call me when you get there ok?”

“Will do.” I felt him slip something into my pocket. Pulling away I reached in and pulled a few hundred dollar bills out of my pocket.

“Just in case.” He smiled and then turned and left. “Remember what I said!” He called over his shoulder. I looked at Landon and raised a brow. .

“Let’s go get some food and then head out. I’m beyond ready to get out of here.” Landon smirked at me grabbing my hand and pulling me along gently in the direction of the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for any typing glitches. My keyboard is being a dick.

Have an awesome Halloween, and stay safe. I'm going to go see my nieces and nephews and then sit at home in my Gary the Snail costume (Gary eyes headband via Burger King kids meal, pink shirt, teal shorts) and eat/hand out/eat candy. What are you all going as?

My nephew is gonna be Jack Sparrow and my sister is all pissed off at the wig they provided and that they didn't include some sort of boot type thing. It's hilarious. He has a cold poor little guy. I came home and he's at my desktop and is like 'You know what's funny Jen?' (I look to the computer screen and see he's watching some Annoying Orange video) *he says something I'm not paying attention too because I'm too busy setting THE WALKING DEAD to record, about a marshmallow cube(?)* "Yeah, E, that is pretty funny" because even though I have no idea what he said I'm gonna humor him. And he sounds so sad with his cold, "Wait, why are you on crutches?"
'Because as usual I messed up my foot and am not sure how-' "Hey jen you know what's funny?"
If it wasn't for my stupid foot I'd so be owning him with my automatic nerf gun.

Enough of telling you stuff you don't care about.

As for Loraine's 'Holy fuck!' if that offended anyone I do apologize, Loraine and I aren't very religious.

Let me know what you think it is Tyler wanted to talk to Landon about, because as of right now you know just about as well as I do. Or do you?

There is a strong possibility you do.

Just sayin.