Until the Tide Returns

School.

I was a mess of nerves. I had been living with my maternal grandmother for a full five days, my father left the day after we arrived; he was needed at work. I was being enrolled in an actual high school, one that Christina taught history at but it was a school! Landon was able to start classes on Monday because his parents had already sent over his transcripts. The school wasn’t quite sure what to do with me because I hadn’t earned any of what they call ‘credits’. So I took a placement test on Friday and they weren’t really sure what to do with me. It took them the rest of Friday and all of Monday and the majority of Tuesday to decide to just put me in all advanced placement courses.

Practicing my powers was put on a complete hold because of how nervous I was about starting school and Christina wanted me to have more time to adjust. Saturday Landon and I drove to my fathers parents house so he could meet Gramps and Granny. They took in everything we had to tell them pretty well though I could tell they were shocked. They were happy I was living much closer now.

I spent Monday and Tuesday unpacking everything my father had sent me. Billy paid for the shipping so that it would all arrive by Monday morning. Loraine called and talked to me, Landon, or both every day either via phone or Skype. She told out friends that my allergy worsened and I had to be sent to a special medical facility and that Landon got into some prestigious boarding school. I would have much rather told them the truth but Landon said he was against it. I didn’t like lying to them.

“Beckett?” The lady behind the desk had a warm and kind face though her voice was inviting as a walk in freezer- something I had the pleasure of experiencing yesterday after Landon came home with a grocery list and orders to do the grocery shopping. “You’re the new transfer right?” I nodded slowly and stepped forward as she held papers out to me. “Here’s your schedule, locker number, and combination. I’ve also put in a map of the campus so you don’t get lost. The other transfer didn’t seem to have trouble.”

“Thank you.” I took the papers with her from a smile. She raised a brow.

“You’re Ms. Tenler’s granddaughter right?” I nodded. “If you need anything find her. Now I suggest you get going, you’re already late for first period.” I took a deep breath and stepped out of the office and into the empty halls. Landon and Christina both insisted I looked fine when I left the house this morning but I still wasn’t convinced. I wore skinny black jeans with a pair of black heels. My shirt was a button up red, light blue, and gold plaid shirt with rolled sleeves. My hair was down and I wore eyeliner and lip gloss and I had a giant black hobo bag. Complete with one large spiral notebook, a pen, calculator, and lunch all courtesy of Christina. I looked down at my schedule. First period read as AP Lit with someone named Dickens. Was that supposed to be an ironic joke or was the teachers last name really Dickens?

I consulted the map and found the class with surprising ease. Everyone was silent looking down at there books in front of them until I opened the door and stepped through. Their heads snapped up in unison and watched as I made my way over to the teacher. He looked to be in his mid 20’s and was sitting on the edge of his desk facing the class. His head turned to me. The only sound after the door shut were my heels clicking as I walked over. “New student?”

“Yeah.”

“Alright, cool. I’m Mr. D trust me, the irony is not wasted on me. You can take any open seat, I don’t do a seating chart.” He looked away from me and to the rest of the class. “It’s probably hard enough for her starting a new school so quit staring and finish reading. If you’ve already finished re-read it.” He turned his attention back to me. “I’ll find you a syllabus while you tell me your name, where your from, and what you were going over at your last school.” He slid off the desk and walked around sliding open a drawer.

“Beckett, Arizona, and I was working on Dostoevsky.” He stopped fumbling through the drawer and looked at me.

“As in Crime and Punishment?”

“No, well, yeah. I already finished that and was halfway through The Brothers Karamazov when I uh moved.”

“What school did you go to?”

“I was home schooled.” He nodded and went back to his drawer. A few seconds later he produced a packet and handed it to me.

“There’s a list of what we’ll be going over this year in there, what you need for class, and what you can expect. Here’s a copy of what we’re working on now.” He handed me The Stranger. I had read this ages ago. “From the look on your face I take it you’ve already read it?”

“It’s been a couple of years.” I admitted.

“I’ll try not to bore you then.” He smiled kindly and gestured to the packet I now held. “Take a look through that and let me know what in there you’ve already gone over.” I took this as a dismissal and found an empty seat towards the back. “Alright guys, times up. Books down pencils out. Pop Quiz.” Everyone in the class groaned. “When you finish bring it up to the front.” I looked over the list of reading material while I waited for a quiz to be handed to me. I had already read everything. Fantastic. I placed everything in my purse and pulled out my pen just as the quiz reached me.

I finished in three minutes. It was ridiculously easy. “Did you look over the list yet?” Mr. D asked surprised when I approached him so soon after having handed out the quiz.

“Yeah.” I handed him my quiz. “I’ve already read them.”

“All of them?” I shrugged. I could feel the eyes on me and desperately wanted to go back to my seat. “Could you give me your teachers e-mail address or phone number? I think I‘m going to need their help if I‘m supposed to actually teach you anything.” He slid my quiz back to me with a pen on top. I wrote down Maggie’s phone number and e-mail. “Thanks.” I returned to my seat and studied the map and my schedule.

Second period was AP Calculus with Mrs. Walters. She seemed nice enough though she made a weird face when I returned her practice test to her 10 minutes after she had given it to me. No one had talked to me though everyone kept looking at me. Third period was volleyball. I made my way to the gym and someone gruffly told me to get into the girls locker room and change. I had nothing to change into so I just stood by the door half listening to the girls behind me.

“I know! What’s up with that? Maybe he’s just shy.”

“I plan on fixing that. I’m going to invite him over Friday. Parents are going out of town.” The girls behind me squealed. A tall blonde woman opened the door in front of me and narrowed her eyes.

“Why aren’t you changed?”

“I’m sorry. It’s my first day and I didn’t-”

“It’s fine just bring them tomorrow and come find me so I can assign you a locker.” She stepped to the side to signal it was time for us to leave the locker room. “Coach Benz is out today so you know what that means!” She yelled though no one seemed to care. “New girl!” I turned and made my way through the sea of girls in the small hallway. They didn’t seem too happy with me.

“Beckett.”

“Right. We’re having a free day today so you can either walk laps around the gym or try to shoot a basketball. No sitting around you have to stay active.” She looked down at my feet. “And you have to keep those on.”

“Not a problem. They are actually super comfortable.” Just because I was stuck in my house all the time back in Arizona didn’t mean I didn’t wear shoes. I loved these heels. My feet never hurt in them and I never got a blister. She dismissed me with a wave of her hand and I made my way into the noisy gym. I chose to walk laps and did so slowly since no one was speed walking.

“He is so hot.” One of the girls from earlier said from behind me. Why were they always behind me? I pulled my schedule out of my purse to study while I walked. “He’s coming over here! Quick! How do I look?”

“Great as always.” Another one said. Was it normal for girls to be that self conscious around boys? At least Landon didn’t seem to mind what I was wearing. That was great considering I now lived with him and was not going to spend every minute worrying about how I looked. I wondered if I would have any classes with Landon. By now I had the actual course number next to each class memorized. I stuffed my schedule back into my bag and pulled out The Stranger. Even though I didn’t need to I could always re-read it and it was better than walking with a bunch of people I didn’t know and no one to talk to. And then I walked straight into someone and began to tilt backwards. Oh no. Hands grabbed my arms to steady me. I finally looked away from where my book fell and at who I had bumped into.

“It might be a good idea if you save the reading and walking for at home.” Landon said gently. “Much easier to keep you safe.” He bent down and scooped up my book. “Friends of yours?” I looked over my shoulder where a few girls had come to a complete stop. The one with short brown hair was giving me a really dirty look. Apparently she had been talking about Landon. Wait. What was it she was wanting to do with him at her house?

“Nope.” I turned back to him. “Can we start walking now?” He slipped his hand into mine lacing our fingers and we began walking. With my heels I was the same height as him.

“So how has your first day been?”

“I’ve already learned everything they’re teaching in my first two classes.” He raised his brows. “Is the intelligence a… you know… family thing?”

“That’s a strictly Beckett thing. What’s your schedule?” I fished it out with one hand and gave it to him. “We have lunch and two more classes together.”

“Really?” He nodded and handed it back to me. “Do you know the girls who were behind me?” I wasn’t turning around to check after the look the one had given me.

“They’re in a couple of my classes but I haven’t talked to them. Why?”

“They were talking about you.” I said quietly. “One of them-” I stopped myself from repeating what they were saying. It was stupid and I was curious as to what she meant but I shouldn’t ask Landon about it. “Never mind. Can I borrow your phone?”

“Did they say something?” He pulled his phone from his pocket and handed it to me.

“I’m just going to talk to Loraine about it. Well text.” I typed up a quick message Hey, it’s Beckett, some girl in the locker room said she wanted to invite Landon over Friday since her parents would be out of town. What does that mean? and hit send.

“You know you can talk to me about anything. I thought we got past the whole dodging awkward conversations after that night in the hotel.” He didn’t have to say which night. I knew exactly which one he was talking about. Landons phone buzzed in my hand.

It means she’s a fucking skank. Don’t worry though Landon is super into you and you guys are permanent. Next time she talks about him tell that bitch he has a girlfriend and to back the hell off. Or knowing you just ignore her. The phone buzzed and there was another text from Loraine. Tank saw your text and knows I lied about your whereabouts. I need a new lie! Ask Land-o for help. The phone vibrated again. “What did you say to her?” Landon laughed. This one was from Tank. So you and Landon huh? TOLD YOU. I’m on the next plane there if he hurts you. And that’s a promise. Where are you two anyway? And why did you MOVE there TOGETHER?

“That was Tank. He knows we’re together in more ways than one.” I handed him his phone. “I’m pretty sure he threatened you.” Landon laughed and started going through his texts. I probably should have waited and called her later in private.

“What did she say to you?” I guess he only read the incoming texts.

“She didn’t say anything to me. She was directly behind me and not trying to keep her conversation private.” He looked over at me expecting me to elaborate. “She said her parents wouldn’t be home and she was going to invite you to come over or something. I wasn’t sure what she meant.” Landon started to say something just as a coach blew his whistle and yelled for us to go back to the locker rooms.

“Wait for me in the hallway.” Landon said before running off with the other boys towards their locker room.

“Beckett.” The female called me into her small office when I entered the locker room. She held out a lock that had a piece of paper attached to it. “Locker 109.” I had no idea how to open the lock so I put it in my purse. Landon could show me later. The bell rang and many of the girls started cursing trying to change their clothes faster.

“You.” The girl with the short brown hair walked over to me eyes narrowed. “Lay off the new guy. I saw him first I have dibs.” Was she insane? Who actually does that? She didn’t even know him. It didn’t bother me that she was very clearly interested in him, what bothered me was that she thought that by claiming she saw him first they would be together. I should probably tell her that he has a girlfriend but she looked really pissed and I didn’t want to make any enemies on my first day so I did what Loraine said I would do. I ignored her and left the locker room.

Landon was leaning against the wall texting someone when I got out there. He didn’t see me or the girl shove me as she exited and made a beeline for him. “Who are you texting?” She smiled and batted her eyelashes. Landon looked at her with the slightest flicker of annoyance. Why did that make me so giddy? “Is your girlfriend from back home checking up on you?” Landon pushed away from the wall sliding his phone into his pocket. His eyes flickered to me for a moment as I very slowly approached him.

“Nope, she’s very trusting and knows that we are meant to be together.” He walked over and slipped an arm around my waist. “Unless something has changed?”

“You, sir, are very much stuck with me.” He leaned in and kissed me slowly, though he and I both knew she was watching his kiss had nothing to do with her.

“You know I’ve never seen it that way.” He said softly after breaking the kiss. He tucked a strand of hair behind my ear before giving me a quick peck on the lips. “We should get going. Gram loathes tardiness.”

“Wait. She’s my history teacher?” I saw the name on the sheet but hadn’t really thought about it. “Isn’t there some rule about that or something?” Landon smirked and grabbed my hand pulling me in the direction of our next class without so much as a glance in the girls direction.

“She’s the only AP History teacher, not that it matters since you probably know everything she’s going to be teaching anyway.”

“I really hope not. I don’t see the point in coming here if there’s nothing they can teach me.” I remembered the lock in my purse. “I need you to teach me how to open my locks though. I’ve never used one before.”

“That could very well be the only thing you actually learn here.” He smiled. “And I would be honored to teach you.”

“Maybe I should let Christina do it. That way she’ll be able to teach me something.” Landon laughed and opened a door. Christina was sitting in her chair, feet up on her desk, with a pair of sunglasses on. The other students didn’t seem concerned. “Is she ok?” I whispered to him as we slowly approached her desk.

“Ms. Tenler, you have a new student though at this point we’re both thinking that her being here is pointless.” Christina didn’t respond. Landon lifted his bag and dropped it on her desk with a loud thud. She jumped slightly.

“I still had a couple of minutes.” She sighed and slid the glasses to the top of her head revealing our matching blue eyes. “Landon honey, go sit down.” Landon hesitated before moving. “I’ll move someone so she can sit by you but if you two start disrupting class I’ll separate you.” Landon grabbed his bag and walked to his seat. “You need a syllabus. Which I put…” She looked around for a moment until she found it. “Normally you have to take it home and have a parent or guardian sign it but seeing as yours is front and center I already did it. Wait here while I get your books.” I flipped through the syllabus as she went over to a cabinet. “What’s with the long face?” She handed me the two books she had grabbed.

“This will be the third class where I’ve already learned everything on the syllabus.” The bell rang.

“I did get a couple of emails about that today.” She took the books from me and set them back on her desk. “This is not special treatment because you’re my granddaughter. This is special treatment because I don’t want you sleeping during class. You will take the tests when I hand them out so I actually have a grade for you. In the meantime you can sit at your desk and work on any other homework you have because even though it’s pointless they’re still gonna make you do it. Every once in awhile I’ll have you run an errand or help me out or something.”

“Ok?” The door opened and the girl who had been talking to Landon stepped through. She really didn’t look happy to see me.

“Marissa how nice of you to join us. Unfortunately for you I have better things to do after school for the next two weeks, so you’re detention will be with Mr. Hanson.”

“You’re kidding right? Two weeks detention for walking in a few minutes late?”

“Do I ever kid about tardiness? Also there is a seat available in the front row seeing as Katie switched her schedule. You’ll be taking her seat, and Beckett honey, you can take hers beside Landon.” Marissa’s face was red. “Class this is Beckett, she’s knew so do try to be nice and not make her uncomfortable.”

“Chri- Ms. Tenler?” Christina raised a brow. “I don’t have any homework so uh, what am I supposed to do today?”

“Lucky for you it’s a paired lesson day, you can work with Landon.” Marissa stared me down as I made my way to her old seat beside Landon. “Everyone pair up and pull out a sheet of paper. With your partner the two of you will go through your textbook compile a list in chronological order of all of the treaties. This means dates, names, and why they were important.” Landon pulled his desk over to mine and produced the materials needed. I flipped through the table of contents to see the years we were working with and took the paper from him.

“You do not know all of these.” He said shaking his head.

“Yes I do. How about I make a list of all the dates and names and you can put down why they were important?”

“Whatever you say.” He sat silently as I made my way down the list. “How do you have all of this memorized?”

“No idea.” I slid the paper to him. “I just do.” He opened the index of his book to find the first one and wrote the page number beside the name.

“You do know this is strictly European history right?” Whoops. “Do you want me to cross them out if they aren’t in here?”

“If you want I’ll just do it. It won’t take long and then you can show me how to use the lock.” He gave the paper back to me. It took 15 minutes to finish the sheet. Landon had pulled out the notebook I had gotten him and began writing in it.

“You are supposed to be working together.” Christina whispered just as I finished writing the last one. I smiled at her sheepishly and handed the paper to her.

“I made the list and he was going to write them down, but I put in a bunch that weren’t in the book.” She looked over the paper and smiled.

“Alright, but from now on when we do paired work you won’t be working with anyone except Landon.” I hadn’t planned on working with anyone except him. “If he misses something you’ll be teaching him about it at home.”

“Ok.” Landon and I said.

“I guess you two have the rest of the period to talk quietly. We’re going to make flash cards of these for the test on Monday but your list has more than it should. Your first assignment Beckett is to make sure Landon knows all of the treaties that are in the book. When, where, and how you do it is entirely up to you.” Christina looked around the classroom for a moment before speaking again. “Why is Marissa giving you the stink-eye?”

“I think she likes Landon. She told me that she had dibs on him because she saw him first.” Landon laughed and Christina rolled her eyes.

“The little scene in the hallway probably didn’t help either.” I shrugged. At least this way she knew he wasn’t available. Or interested. “I kissed Beckett in front of her.” He explained.

“Marissa?” Christina said loud enough for her to hear her. “Is there a problem?” Marissa shook her head. “Then quit staring at Beckett and Landon. I can assure you they are not breaking up anytime soon and giving her dirty looks isn’t going to change that.” The whole class with the exception of Christina, Marissa, Landon, and myself erupted with laughter. I had to admit, my grandmother was pretty awesome. Marissa’s face was a deep shade of red. “Also, if I hear that you have been rude to her again detention will be the least of your worries.”

“What, are you her mother or something?” Marissa snapped. How could anyone be that rude to a teacher?

“Grandmother and though I dress like a hippie I assure you I am momma grizzly protective of her.”

“Is that a threat?” Marissa asked eyes narrowed.

“Just a statement of fact.” She looked around at the rest of the class and smiled. “Get back to work or you’re getting a pop quiz.” She wasn’t Christina anymore. She was Gram. And Gram was insanely awesome.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am SO sorry it took me two weeks to get this out. I promise to start working on the next one tomorrow.