Until the Tide Returns

Changes

The next morning there was a knock on my door. I didn’t move from beneath my covers and just stared at it. There was another knock and again I didn’t say anything. A moment later the lock turned.

“Really? I come all this way to check on my favorite weirdo and you can’t even open the door and say ‘Hi’? I have to pick the lock?”

“Uncle Billy!” I wrestled out of my sheets and ran over to give him a hug. Uncle Billy was my fathers roommate their freshman year in college and the one who had found me. He had spent the entire day watching over me waiting for my father to come back from classes and work.

“Last time I saw you I could still pick you up.” It had been five years since his last visit. “So what’s up? Jason called and said you weren’t talking to him or coming out of your room? That’s not like you kid. I know you love food.”

“What has he told you about my life?” I went over and sat on bed, pulling my knees up to my chest.

“What do you mean?’

“I’m not allowed to leave the house. Like ever. I have no friends. The only person I have to talk to besides Dad is Maggie my tutor unless someone calls and talks to me. I snuck out yesterday while he was at his company picnic, and he caught me. Apparently know one here knew he even had me before yesterday.”

“That’s not true.” Billy shook his head. “Last time I was here we all went out and did stuff together. Like the bike ride, and we went and got ice cream.”

“Right. Well, apparently I’m an urban legend around here. Before yesterday there was some debate as to whether or not I was a real person.”

“Bull.”

“Go into town then, there’s a small clothing shop. A girl named Loraine works there, she’ll tell you.” Billy stood up but didn’t say anything. He left the room. Curiosity got the better of me and I followed him downstairs to where my dad was sitting on the couch reading the paper.

“Why is Beckett under the impression she isn’t allowed to leave the house?” Billy asked. My dad looked up at him and then at me and set the paper down.

“It isn’t safe for her out there.”

“You can’t be serious. You keep her locked up in here all the time?”

“It isn’t safe.” He repeated. “She’s my daughter. I decide what’s right for her.”

“Then why is she saying no one knows about her?” My fathers eyes rested on me and he sighed.

“It’s for her safety. We told Maggie she’s allergic to water. It is easier for me if she’s hidden away. I’m not going to risk someone coming over and figuring out what is really wrong with her.”

“Wrong with me?” My voice cracked and I hated myself for it.

“Beckett, that’s not what I meant.” He stood up and took a step towards me.

“Are you kidding me? It’s exactly what you meant. You punish me for something I have no control over. Everyday for me is hell. I can’t have friends. The only things I have to distract me are books and the television and you took that away. I’m sorry you got stuck with me. Ok? I am. I really am. It’s not my fault you couldn’t keep it in your pants. It’s not my fault you don’t know who my mom is or where she is. It’s not my fault that I’m different. You always said it was us against the world and then I find out the world doesn’t even know about me. Because apparently there is something wrong with me.” I was crying, I knew I was but they couldn’t see. The moment the tears brimmed they were absorbed back in.

“That’s not what I meant.” He said again.

“Sure it isn’t. I’m sure what you meant was more along the lines of ‘I should have just dropped you off at the nearest orphanage, it would have made everything so much simpler.’”

“Beckett, you know I love you more than anything. Everything that you see wrong is just me trying to keep you safe. I would die if anything ever happened to you. You are my world kiddo. What do you think would happen if someone found out and the told someone else and they told someone else, and then the government found out. Do you think they would just let it go? No. They would take you away from me and I would never see you again.”

“I don’t think what your dad did was necessarily the right approach but I think he’s telling you the truth.” Billy said. I didn’t want to talk to either of them and I was faintly aware of my bodily odor. I turned and left the room and went upstairs to take a shower.

I guess one of the benefits to my weirdness was I didn’t need soap or shampoo. When the water absorbed into my skin or my hair it cleaned me off completely, and dried me too. I never liked hair dryers and my wavy hair would poof up if I let it air dry. A small benefit to this weirdness. Once in the shower I decided to do something I never allowed myself to do. I sat in the shower and let the water absorb long after it turned cold. I just sat with my eyes closed. I’m not sure how long I was in there but then I felt something odd. I opened an eye and watched as the water hit me and bounced off my skin. I turned off the water and held up my arm. Water was actually dripping off of me. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around myself. I watched in the mirror as water dripped off of my bangs and ran down my face and off of my chin hitting the sink.

“DAD!” I screamed. I was suddenly terrified and excited. I didn’t know what this meant but it had to be good right? I turned on the sink faucet and watched merrily as it all just went into the drain and didn’t come anywhere near me.

The bathroom door burst open. “Are you ok?’ I pointed the water coming out of the faucet.

“It’s not coming after me. And look!” I held up a strand of wet hair and watched as water dripped off of it splashing on the floor. His mouth fell open in shock.

“How did you make it stop?”

“I don’t know. I was in the shower for a long time letting the water absorb and then it stopped.” I poked my finger through the running water and squealed with delight when I pulled my finger out and the water just dripped off.

“Amazing.” He whispered. “Get dressed and meet me downstairs ok?” I nodded and went to my room after turning off the running water. Even if I was mad at him I was too excited to care.

When I got downstairs I noticed a large pot of water on the coffee table. “What’s that for?”

“We don’t know what caused it to stop or how long it will last but I have a theory.” My dad said. “Water has always been attracted to you. Lately it’s become much more than just clinging to you. Maybe you somehow filled up on water and now you don’t need it? Does that make sense?” I nodded.

“Kind of.”

“Ok, then we’ll just place a couple of pots of water around the house and see how long it takes before it starts again. Maybe we can figure out what’s going on.”

“If this works, and I don’t always attract water then does that mean I’m allowed out of the house?” I asked hoping.

“Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We’ll just have to wait and see.” And wait we did. Two days had gone by with no water attraction, on the night of the second day the water from the pots jumped out and absorbed into my skin. I took a shower and waited to see if the water would start bouncing off again, and when it did I was thrilled.

These ‘tests’ went on for a couple of weeks before my dad came in to give me some news.

“I want you to make sure your tanks are full tonight, and tomorrow you and I will go into town.” I put down the book Billy had given me before he left.

“Really?” He nodded. “Thank you!” I sprung from my chair and gave him a hug.

The next day was glorious. We spent the day shopping and went out to lunch. Though it was hot and dry outside I didn’t mind. I was over the moon to be somewhere other than the house. When we got home things changed. I turned on the sink to wash my hands and the water began absorbing into my skin. I waited awhile until it stopped. It didn’t take as long as it did in the shower though and I was relieved.

“Maybe the sun dries you out faster than staying in the house does?” My dad suggested when I told him what happened.

“Maybe.” I shrugged. I had a feeling after this I would be stuck in the house again. I decided to start on my homework. Maggie taught me math, English, science, and history (American, European, and world) as well as French, Spanish, Italian, geography, music, religions, sociology, psychology, literature, art history, and art . Not all at the same time of course. I had always wondered what it would be like to go to school. I watched shows about it on TV but I had a feeling that wasn’t an exact portrayal.

Later that night as I turning off the lights in the living room I heard something outside. My dad had already gone to bed so I was alone downstairs. There was a very distinct snap of a twig followed by what sounded like faint giggling. I tiptoed quietly to the hall closet and grabbed the solid wood bat tiptoeing back to the front door.

“Who’s there?” I called out flinging the front door open and jumping onto the porch.

“Beckett?” A female voice called. Suddenly a figure rose from the shrubs along the front of the house followed by two more. I tensed and tightened my grip on the bat ready to swing. “Chill out. It’s me.” The figure got closer but I still couldn’t make out who it was. I didn’t know anyone here. Oh wait. I did.

“Loraine?” I reached inside and flipped on the porch light.

“Lower the bat, you’re freaking me out.” Slowly dropping the bat to my side Loraine climbed up onto the porch, two boys behind her.

“What are you doing here?” I silently closed the door so my dad wouldn’t wake up. Then I mentally kicked myself for not wearing pajama’s that were longer, or larger. I had on a small pair of Green Eggs and Ham boxers and a bright green camisole. Even though it was warm and dry outside I was grateful I always slept in a sports bra. “My dad is gonna flip if he finds you out here.”

“Told you she was real.” Loraine said to the two guys with her. “Oh sorry this is my boyfriend Tank and his friend Landon.” I understood immediately which one was Tank. He was easily over six feet tall with large muscular arms. Landon was muscular but in a much more subtle way. He was only a few inches taller than I was.

“What are you doing here?” I asked again.

“They didn’t believe me.” She shrugged as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.

“So why haven’t we seen you around before?” Tank asked. His voice startled me, I expected a much deeper dumb jock tone from him. I needed to stop watching TV dramas about teenagers. I would never get through life with my only knowledge being what I saw on TV even if I didn’t believe it to be accurate.

“She’s allergic to water.” Loraine said.

“We live in the desert. It’s not like she has to worry about being caught in a sudden downpour.” Tank said.

“I saw you today.” Landon stared at me with a look on his face that could only be described as determination.

“No you didn’t, she’s not allowed to leave the house.” Loraine sighed sounding suddenly bored.

“Actually my dad and I went shopping today. We had lunch too.” Loraine’s eyes widened.

“And you didn’t come and visit me? God I was stuck in that store all day with the only customer being Ashley Danner of all people. Do you have any idea how boring she is? I tried to tell her that she should get the pink skirt but no, no one listens to me do they? She went with the green one. Green is so not her color.”

“I’m sorry?” I offered unsure of what to say. I of course didn’t know who Ashley Danner was or why she shouldn’t wear green. I still felt the need to say something.

“Damn straight.” She huffed. “Wait, you actually left the house today and didn’t have to stage a prison break?”

“Totally.” I nodded.

“Did your dad suddenly realize what he was doing was inhumane and decide to let you have a life?” I shrugged. “Does this mean you can have friends?”’

“What?” I wasn’t sure what she meant by that.

“Never mind. Why did he let you out? I thought he was all secret service protective of you.”

“Allergy is getting better.” I shrugged. It was the best, and only, explanation I could give.

“That doesn’t even make sense. You have one of the rarest allergies, allergies don‘t get better with practice. Whatever. My dad is having this huge cookout on Tuesday to celebrate the last day before school starts and some project they finished at work. You and Jason are invited.”

“What?”

“Ok I get that your all secluded and most likely socially inept and it totally isn’t your fault. But you should know what a cookout is.” I narrowed my eyes at her.

“I know what it is. We used to have them at my grandparents when I was little. I meant the thing about school starting. Don’t you go everyday and get weekends and holidays off?” All three of them just stared at me. I always figured that was a major thing they made up on TV shows. Summer break. Why take a break that long? You would forget so much.

“Are you kidding me? Half of the student body would commit suicide if that happened. No. There’s summer break, winter break, and spring break.”

“Loraine.” Landon’s tone sounded like he was scolding her. He looked at me and smiled softly. My stomach felt like it was in knots. Was this normal when boys smiled at you? “What do you do for education?”

“Maggie comes Monday through Friday every week unless there’s a holiday or one of us is sick.” I shrugged. “I haven’t been to a real school since the first week of kindergarten. Then we moved here and I was home schooled.”

“What could you possibly be learning now if you’ve had non stop schooling since you were five?” Loraine asked.

“Last week we started topology and continued working on Dostoevsky, my Italian conjugates, and the Baroque period. I also have a paper due on Freud next Thursday and a test on Egyptian mythology Friday.”

“I didn’t understand half of what you just said.” Loraine said, Tank nodded in agreement.

“Are you a member of Mensa?” Landon laughed. I wasn’t sure if he was making fun of me or not.

“No, isn’t that normal stuff you learn in school?” They shook their heads in unison.

“I’ll be taking AP calc and they’ll be in algebra two.” Landon said. I was glad I knew what AP was. The living room light suddenly came on.

“You guys should probably go.” I whispered but before they could move the door opened.

“Honey what are-” My father removed the hand he had been using to rub his eyes and looked at the three people in front of me. “We have a phone Loraine.” He sighed and stepped back from the door holding it open. “Well come in. I don’t need to explain to the neighbors why there is a group of teenagers hanging out this late at night on my porch.” I looked at the clock, three minutes till midnight. I hadn’t realized it was that late. Wait. Did he just invite them in? Loraine smiled and tugged Tank into the house by his hand. Landon followed and then I did.

“Just don’t be too loud. I have work in the morning.” My dad kissed my forehead and walked back towards the stairs. I pinched myself to make sure I wasn’t dreaming and winced. Totally conscious.

“Why is there a pot of water on the coffee table?” Loraine asked. My father and I froze. He was going to kick them out and any chance I ever had at making a friend was about to go out the window.

“Practice for getting over my allergy.” I squeaked out and ran over to get the pot. “Dad, can you take this into the kitchen? I don’t want to risk anything.” He nodded and took the pot from my hands and I followed him into the kitchen.

“Dad?” I watched as he poured the water down the drain, slightly thrilled that it was going down the drain. He made a noise in response. “Am I in trouble?”

“What? No.” He shook his head and placed the empty pot into the sink before walking over to me and giving me a hug. “I just wish we had figured out that neat little trick earlier, and I’m sorry I kept you locked up in here for so long. I don’t want you doing anything crazy though, we still have to be careful. We’ll talk more about this tomorrow ok? Now go make some friends.” He kissed the top of my head and left me standing in the kitchen staring after him like an idiot. That pinch had hurt but I was still convinced I was dreaming.

“Beckett?” Loraine whispered as loudly as she could. I left the kitchen and went back into the living room. Loraine and Tank sat on the love seat, Landon on the couch. I opted for the armchair. “So where’s your mom? Is she hiding around here somewhere too?”

“Loraine!” Landon hissed. “Do you always have to be so abrupt?”

“It’s fine.” I sighed looking down at my feet. “I don’t know where she is or who she is. She and my dad hooked up one night on a camping trip, and nine months later I was dropped off at his dorm in a basket with a note addressed to him. No idea how she found him but she did. End of story.”

“Well then how do you know he’s your dad?” Landon took the small throw pillow next to him and threw it at Loraine. Didn’t she say we looked alike that last time I saw her? “What? It’s a legitimate question.”

“They look exactly alike?” Landon sighed. I knew my father was a handsome man, and I always thought I was the more feminine version of him. Did we really look ’exactly’ alike? Were my features that masculine? I suddenly wanted to crawl into a ball and hide under a blanket. “Except for the eyes.” He added. “She has some seriously blue eyes. They‘re like watery sapphires.” And now my eyes were watered down sapphires? I hadn’t known him for all that long and already taken several blows to my self esteem. If this is what friends were like I wasn’t sure I wanted them.

“Oh God.” Loraine groaned. “Don’t start writing poems about her fluid sapphire eyes and ink colored hair.” Why would he write poems? I liked to think I wasn’t as awkward as I was turning out to be. I knew curse words. I knew how to dress myself. But less than an hour with these people and I knew I was lost. Maybe I never would survive outside of this house.

“Jealous I never wrote one for you?” Landon smirked, Loraine rolled her eyes.

“I don’t want you scaring off the only person in this town who isn’t boring. No offense. I need an added dose of hormones to my life.”

“Yeah.” Landon rolled his eyes. “What you need is more hormones.” Loraine responded by throwing the pillow he had thrown at her at him.

“Believe it or not they’ve been friends since they were like three.” Tank said. “They’re worse than Nat and me.”

“Totally. He’s my brother from another mother.” Loraine quipped. I wasn’t sure what that meant exactly so I didn’t say anything. “You think you guys are coming Tuesday?”

“Huh?”

“The cookout?” I glanced towards the stairs.

“I’m not sure, I’ll talk to my dad about it in the morning.”

“Ok cool.” Loraine nodded briefly and stood up. “It’s getting late, we should probably get going. Mind if I stop by tomorrow?”

“It’s probably not a good idea. I don’t want to press my luck with my dad ya know?” She nodded again as Tank and Landon stood up. “It was nice meeting you.” I smiled at them politely.

“Yeah, you too.” Tank smiled back.

“I’ll see you soon.” Landon smirked and walked towards the door.

“Do you have to be such a creep?” Loraine groaned following them out the door. What an interesting day this turned out to be.