Until the Tide Returns

Concert

“Why are you handing me a shirt?” Bernie asked as we stood in the bathroom of the Italian restaurant.

“We have to change into them before we get to the concert.” My mother had already known about Bernie’s plan to go to her gallery and decided to take a last minute trip to New York so Landon and I wouldn’t have to come up with some reason as to why we couldn’t go there. Bernie was bummed to learn that the place was closed but I had a feeling what she was about to learn would make up for it.

“The concert doesn’t start for another 40 minutes.” She hadn’t even unfolded the shirt to look at it.

“We have to be there early.”

“Why?” She had been bugging me all week about how I got us actual ‘seats’ and now that I handed her something that Relik, Landon, and I all believed would cause her to flip out over she questions me. I took the shirt from her and unfolded it holding it up so she could see it. “You got us shirts for the concert? How did you do that? Those aren’t supposed to be sold anywhere except at the concert.” I sighed and flipped it around so she could read the three bold white letters. “Holy shit. Did you like make these yourself or something?”

“How would I make a shirt?” I handed her her shirt which she finally took into the stall and changed into without another word. When she came back out I held out the lanyard holding the backstage pass to her.

“Is that…?” I nodded. “How did you get that? Seriously. They weren’t selling those or giving them away or anything.”

“My uncle gave them to me.” I smiled and took my purse into the stall with me changing into my shirt and slipping the lanyard around my neck. Landon and Relik had taken their shirts and passes into the men’s room to change the same time we had. “And he wants us there early.” I added leaving the stall. “So we should really get the guys and get over there.

“Hold up.” I stopped with the door halfway open. I could see Landon and Relik in the hallway. “These are real backstage passes?” I nodded. “We’re actually going to meet the band?” I nodded again. “I’m going to meet Perry Holtz?”

“Yep.”

“This isn’t some sort of sick joke is it?”

“Why would I lie?”

“Because he is insanely gorgeous and you want to get a good laugh out of it?” I found it pretty disturbing that two of my female friends were obsessed with my uncles looks.

“I promise you it is not a joke and that you are going to be meeting him. The sooner we leave the sooner we get there.” I opened the door fully and gave a large sweeping gesture telling her to leave the restroom.

“I have to check my hair. And my makeup.” She leaned over the counter and started messing with her hair.

“Why are you standing there with the door open?” Relik asked.

“Bernie won’t leave, she’s insisting on checking her hair and makeup.” I sighed. Relik laced his fingers together and extended his arms, palms outward, cracking his knuckles.

“I’ll get her.” He smirked walking into the ladies restroom. He walked over to Bernie, bent down, and threw her over his shoulder.

“What the hell are you doing?” Bernie screeched her cheeks turning red. I stepped to the side holding the door open for him to carry her through.

“You look fine Bernie, besides… I’m pretty sure Perry Holtz isn’t into jailbait.” The rest of the patrons all turned to watch as Relik continued to carry Bernie through the restaurant only setting her down when we were outside. “Me on the other hand….” Relik winked at her and began walking to the car leaving Bernie to stare after him with a slight blush on her cheeks accompanied with a very bewildered expression.

The 10 minute car ride to the park where the concert was being held was spent with Bernie’s interrogation. She wanted to know who my uncle was and how he had gotten us the passes. She also was curious as to why none of us were particularly nervous about meeting the band. Not once though was she able to meet Relik’s eyes in the mirror without a blush breaking out.

A large man with bulging arm muscles stood outside of the gates where people were already lined up to get inside. “Sorry guys, can’t let you in until the first band goes on. You have to get in line.”

“We’re supposed to meet my uncle.” I explained holding my pass up to show him. “He said he would put my name on the list.”

“Name?” He grabbed the clipboard sitting on the stool beside him underneath his water bottle.

“Beckett Dayton.” He looked at the list for only a moment before looking back up at me.

“One second.” he unclipped the walkie talkie from his belt and spoke into it asking for someone to come up front and escort us.

“Is that necessary?” The stage was pretty easy to spot, I was fairly certain we wouldn’t get lost.

“Perry’s orders. He was very adamant about your safety.” I rolled my eyes. “I’m just following orders kid.”

“I know, I’m sorry. He’s just being a little to over protective.” I looked over at Bernie to see if she had caught my uncles name but she was too busy scanning the line of people.

“Landon?” Someone called behind us, their voice was elevated slightly. I turned around and watched as Marissa walked over, the girls she hung out with in gym followed behind. “Is that…?” She lifted her sunglasses staring at what hung around Landons neck. “A backstage pass?”

“Yep.” In my peripheral I could see Bernie take on an annoyed expression. I remembered what Relik had told me about their history, and while I didn’t exactly like Marissa before I had a great dislike for her now.

“Wow, how did you get that?” She stepped closer to him. Landon stepped back and wrapped and arm around my waist pulling me to him. Marissa didn’t seem phased.

“Beckett’s uncle got them for us. You should probably go get in line now.” Marissa’s eyes widened greatly. Something told me it had nothing to with what Landon had said. A few people in line screamed.

“You’re late.” Perry said draping an arm across my shoulders sandwiching me between him and Landon.

“Sorry, but somebody,” I looked pointedly at Bernie who was now staring jaw dropped at my uncle, “had to be dragged from the restaurant.” The security guard beside him was huge. Like Tank times two.

“Friend of yours?” He nodded towards Marissa. “Want me to hook them up?” Marissa’s eyes lit up with excitement. Bernie rolled her eyes.

“Nope.” I would not be kind to the girl who had put my friend through hell. “Perry this is my friend Bernie. Bernie, this is my uncle.” Bernie’s eyes widened and a quick glance at Marissa showed she was just as shocked as Bernie was.

“Well Bernie, it is a pleasure to meet you. If you guys would be so kind as to follow me the rest of the band would like to meet the long lost daughter of a certain sister of mine that everyone is slightly terrified of.” He released me and shoved his hands in his pockets. “I don’t know what you did to piss off Beckett,” he said to Marissa, “but I hope you enjoy the show anyway.”

Relik, Landon, Bernie, and I followed Perry and his security guard. “Holy freaking shit Beckett!” Bernie whispered beside me. “Why didn’t you tell me you’re uncle was Perry freaking Holtz!”

“I wanted to surprise you. Did it work?”

“If I wasn’t so in love with you right now I would probably slap you.” She stared at my uncles back. “Do you think he’ll take a picture with me?” She began smoothing her hair, Relik chuckling beside her.

“He loves taking pictures.” Landon laughed.

“What’s so funny?” Perry turned and began walking backwards.

“Bernie was just wondering if she could get a picture with you.” Landon explained. Bernie’s face turned a deep red.

“Of course. I’m really glad you have one friend who recognizes me and believes I actually am who I say I am Beckett, it was really starting to bruise my ego.” I reached into my purse and pulled out the digital camera my mother had sent me and tossed it to him. Even though we rarely spoke she seemed to want to have some sort of relationship with me, apparently she believed money and presents were the best way to get me to warm up to her. “How is Nefertiti by the way?”

“She had to get her appendix taken out today, but other than that she’s still the same.” Landon shrugged.

“What? Is she ok?” Why hadn’t I heard about this?

“She’s fine.” Landon assured grabbing my hand. “She’s been using the down time to plan her trip here. She’s really excited about it.”

“Remind to talk to you guys about that after the show.” Perry said. “Relik, mind taking a picture?” We had reached the stairs that led up to the back of the stage. I could see many people bustling around. A few people were practicing their instruments. Relik took the camera from Perry who immediately wrapped an arm around Bernie pulling her close. “I fully expect to see this as your Facebook picture by the way.”

Image


During the concert there had been only one incident. A stage hand accidentally kicked over an uncapped water bottle splashing my legs. He apologized profusely as the water absorbed into my skin. It had been pretty dry out and I hadn’t spent anytime in the water today. When he looked down his face contorted in confusion. Landon stepped in and assured him everything was fine and that he should get back to work.

Now though, Landon, Relik, Bernie, and I sat on the stage in part of a large circle with Perry and the rest of Quiet Ascension. “Why is it we never heard about you? We always practiced at Perry’s house and Maya moved back in after college while she saved up to open Drops. Man did she hate us.” Marcus, the drum player, was curious.

“Wait.” Bernie coming out of her star stricken daze. “You said Maya and Drops. You mean the art gallery Drops right? The owner’s name is Maya. Same thing right?” Marcus nodded slowly as if unsure where this was going. Bernie’s eyes zeroed in on me. “Maya is your mother?”

“She gave birth to me.” I couldn’t explain the situation to her fully and while I did refer to Maya as my mother and call her Mom when I occasionally spoke to her I still didn’t see her that way. It was all just a formality. She had never been there for me, never. Bernie rolled her eyes. “If that wall qualifies someone as a mother then yes, she is.”

“Hey.” Perry said softly. “You know that’s not fair. It was for-”

“I know.” I groaned suddenly irritated. This wouldn’t have bothered me as much if I hadn’t had the disturbing vision about putting my daughter in danger, but I couldn’t explain that to Perry now. I wasn’t even sure if he knew we had visions. “Sorry, it’s been a long week. She and Gram have been getting on my case.” Landons phone began.

“It’s Gram.” Landon said quietly. “Hello?” He was silent for a moment and then looked over at me. “Is the painting completely finished?” I nodded. “And you’re sure there’s nothing that needs to be added, or removed?”

“It’s exactly as it should be.” I had painted everything exactly as I saw it, the more I painted the more I remembered. He repeated what I told him.

“What are they getting on you about? Is somebody slacking off in school?” Perry asked clearly amused. “Are you sure you weren’t you know,” he pinched his fingers together and raised them to his lips, I had seen enough television and movies to know what that meant, “when I called the other day?”

“I was painting.” I said rolling my eyes.

“Huffing it?” He smiled wide. I narrowed my eyes, why did he keep insinuating I was doing drugs?

“Holy shit,” Marcus laughed, “for a second I thought Maya was sitting there instead of her daughter.”

“I believe we got that look just before our van was filled with water.” Declan, the bassist, added. “We never did figure out how Maya did it.”

“Then how do you know it was her?” I asked crossing my arms. Landon, who had since hung up, chuckled beside me.

“You know how I know.” Perry smirked.

“And how’s that? Please tell me, I’m sure it’s fascinating.” I had him now and he knew it, I smiled back. Landon chuckled beside me.

“I have a feeling we’re all missing something.” Relik interjected. Everyone else nodded in agreement.

“No, Perry’s just imagining things. I mean how could Maya fill a van with water? Obviously there had to have been a hose nearby otherwise it would be impossible. And if you guys actually did try to figure it out I’m sure you would have found it.” I leaned back on the palms of my hands. “Unless of course, it was magic.” Landon began laughing a bit loudly. Perry smiled shaking his head.

“I see Beckett but I hear Maya.” James said staring at me as if disbelieving his own eyes.

“I guess it’s a good thing they’re both on my side.” Landon bumped his shoulder against mine gently.

“Yeah? Maya is completely cool with you living with her daughter? Who you’re dating?” James raised a brow. “Somehow I don’t see that being the case. I find it kind of hard to believe your parents just let you up and move across the country with her either. If I even suggested that when in high school, 18 or not, my parents would have gone completely nuts.”

“My mom and Maya go way back. She trusts Christina.”

“You guys remember Phoebe?” The rest of the band nodded, Marcus mumbled something about Maya’s equally evil twin. “Well, that’s her son.” They all turned to look at Landon.

“You know, I was wondering what happened to you, your mom and Maya were really close despite the age difference and then one day you all upped and left.” James said. “We were what 10? 11? I think Marcus and I spent every day at Perry’s and it seemed like your mom did too, and then one day she was gone.”

“My parents moved to Arizona while my mom was pregnant with me.” Landon explained.

“When did you move to Arizona?” Relik asked me.

“When she was five.” Perry answered. “Just after kindergarten started.”

“And you know this how? Mom dropped me off at dads dorm room door when I was two days old.” I really did not mean to reveal that little tidbit of information.

“I’m sorry, she what?” Perry asked his eyes widening.

“I never told them the truth about how I handed you to your father. Tell Perry I’ll talk to him about it tomorrow, and tell him I need you guys to stay at his house tonight.”

“What? Why?” Everyone looked at me oddly. “I mean why ask me to explain?”

“You brought it up.”

“My plane lands in an hour and I’m staying with my mother tonight so she and I can study the painting, it isn’t safe for you to come home. I’m going to call you on the plane phone, please answer.” A moment later my phone began ringing.

“Hey.” I mouthed that it was my mother to the group of people I was with.

“Tell Bernie she can come by my store anytime after Sunday, I purchased a few pieces I think she would be quite interested in.”

“This is what you called to tell me?”

“No, but I would like you to relay the message all the same, and I know how you prefer me to call you. Two birds one stone. Next, and I am asking you to do this because I just feel like freaking James and Marcus out, please tell them that the next time they wish to tell stories to my daughter claiming I did something they have no proof for they may be in need of some new equipment. And finally dearest daughter, tell Perry that if he does not ensure you and your friends safety until I call him tomorrow I will be telling Evie how Lily really learned where the markers and crayons are kept. I love you, Beckett, never forget that.” The line went dead and I set my phone down.

“So my mom called. Bernie, she said to come by sometime after Sunday, she has some pieces she wants you to look at. Marcus and James, if you don’t want to be making any major purchases for awhile I suggest you quit making false accusations against my mother, she really doesn’t like it. Especially when I’m the one you’re making them to.” Marcus and James’s eyes bulged and jaws dropped. Perry burst out laughing. “Relik and Bernie did you guys have to be home tonight or is it ok if we have a little sleep over?”

“Fine with me, where are we sleeping?” Relik asked.

“I just have to call my mom, I’m sure she won’t mind.” Bernie shrugged.

“Mom said we have to stay at your house Perry.” His brow arched quickly. “She has to stay at Grams tonight.” He nodded in understanding. “She also said that she’ll call you tomorrow, and if we aren’t with you until she does she’s telling Evie something involving Lily and where the markers are kept?”

“Ok then.” Perry hopped up to his feet. “We should probably get going. I for one, am not interested in repainting the majority of the walls in Evie’s house. And besides, I really need to get home, make a call, and gloat.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if there's typo's I didn't check too much. I wanted to finish this before I left for the night.

Quick little (ok maybe not so little) PSA (if you live in Fl, you may skip this) I don't know why, but I have heard it done a few times, and it happened most recently on last nights episode of House. For some reason, that try as I might to understand and have failed to do so, when referring to the shortened version of St. Petersburg (Florida, not Russia) they insist on saying St. Petes. I assure you that if you come here and say St. Petes instead of St. Pete, locals will immediately peg you as a tourist and hate you on site. Yes, tourism is great for our economy, I've never lived more than 15 minutes away from our beautiful beaches, and I understand many of our businesses depend on those of you that don't live here. If you're a tourist and you aren't driving like an asshole or feeding seagulls near me or throwing trash in the water that I have to go collect while kayaking or stand on the boardwalk at John's Pass look at a dolphin and go 'Look! it's just like Sea World', because dolphins while cool to look at are fucking assholes. Especially when you're fishing. And it's not like Sea World, I don't care what you do. Just say the name properly! I welcome you to our beautiful city. Please boost our economy, because I need a job, or you know, if you're at a hotel, hit me up, I am less likely to get kicked out of a jacuzzi if an actual guest at the hotel invites me there. Also, another little tidbit, Clearwater is a city here, and it is all one word. Do not break it into two. Thank you, that is all.

Jen