Until the Tide Returns

Gone

We pulled into the parking lot of what I was sure was a bar. “Do not tell me you got us fake ID’s, I would quite possibly die from happiness.” Loraine said from the backseat. I have offered her the front and she insisted on sitting in the back so she could get to know Relik and Bernie.

“One could only hope.” Landon smirked turning around to face her. “The only buzz you’re getting is from sugar.”

“And you were all super secret about a bar because…?” Landon shrugged and left the car keeping silent as we walked to the door, Loraine was telling Bernie some story of a party she went to recently and going into explicit detail of the major puking session that capped off her night.

The hostess greeted us and took us to our table, the first thing I noticed was a stage, the second being that our table was directly in front of it. “Oh God.” Loraine groaned dropping into her chair. “This better not be some karaoke crap. I intended on having fun while on vacation.” I picked up the little plastic stand holding the ‘Open Mic Night’ flyer and handed it to her. “I take that back. I want the karaoke.”

“Too late.” Landon said turning his attention to his menu.

“Ladies and gentlemen as is tradition every Friday night here at The Hole we would like to thank you for coming out for our open mic night.” I turned, recognizing the voice, and was surprised to see Calvin. Then I remembered Evie telling me the two of them owned and ran the bar together. Someone near the bar booed. “Great to see you Steve. First performer is up in five.” Calvin stepped down off of the stage and came over to our table resting his hand on the back of my chair. “Beckett, Landon, and assorted teenagers, you can order whatever you want, it’s on the house.” Loraine grinned wide. “As long as you don’t need to be 21 to order it. I’ll check on you guys later, I need to go make sure my bartender is actually tending the bar.”

“Thanks Calvin.” Landon laughed as he walked off.

“Who was that?” Loraine narrowed her eyes.

“My uncle.”

“How many do you have?” Relik laughed.

“5.”

“Which one haven’t we met?” Bernie asked.

“Billy.” I sighed. “He’ll be here in a couple of weeks.” I was fairly certain he already knew of Perry and Calvin’s plays in their little game and would only use Christmas as his chance to try and one up them.

“Speaking of people unmet. When do I get to meet your mom?” Loraine asked just before a waitress came over and took our drink orders.

“Whenever Landon decides to take you, or you can wait and go with Billy, I’m sure he’s going to be wanting to really rub in the fact that he’s the one that found me.”

“Why wouldn’t you take her? Her gallery isn’t too far from here. We could go after, she lives in the loft above it.” Bernie offered. I looked to Landon for help.

“It’s complicated.” He supplied. I knew that wouldn’t be enough for Bernie.

“Whoa, hold up. You’ve met Beckett’s absentee momma?” Bernie nodded and Loraine immediately narrowed her eyes at Landon. “If you took her and she doesn’t even know about the whole-”

“Loraine.” Landon warned.

“-situation.” She continued. “Then you can take me, and I’ll just tag along with Billy when he goes because I’m as sure as Ashley Donner is about my brother knocking her up about not missing that meeting.”

“Well now that that’s all cleared up.” Landon rolled his eyes. “Bernie happened to know Maya before we moved here.”

“Did she like send Bernie to be friends with you or something? I thought the car was a bit much, but a person. Wow.”

“Car?” Bernie and Relik asked at the same time.

“I’m just going to shut up.” Loraine said realizing the situation she put us in.

“Yeah, I’ll believe that when I hear it.” Landon said flicking a crumb that was on the table at her. “My car was a birthday present from Maya. She and my mother were best friends and that’s why my parents were so ok with me moving here with Beckett. They knew I would be in good hands.”

“So, you two just ended up living in the same town hundreds of miles away from where her mother lives? What did she move there and then move back?” Relik, naturally, had had questions.

“After Maya gave Beckett over to Jason she learned that at some point they planned on moving to Arizona, knowing she couldn’t be there for Beckett she sent the next best thing, her best friend.”

“You guys only met a few weeks before you moved here though.” Bernie said remembering our story in the cafeteria. “And didn’t Perry say you didn’t move to Arizona until you were five, if she gave you to your dad so early how could she have known that? Unless your parents really were in contact the entire time.”

“They weren’t, my dad spent a lot of time trying to find her. It’s just…”

“Complicated.” Loraine finished.

“And she knows all about it but we can’t? Do you not trust us or something?” Bernie was clearly hurt.

“We do.” Landon said immediately trying to ease the situation. “We’ll talk more about this later, in private. It’s not really something that can be discussed in public.” While that was true I knew he was just trying to buy more time to come up with an explanation. Landon shot Loraine a dark look.

“Leave her alone Landon, she didn’t mean to start any of this.”

“Listen to your girlfriend Land-o, we all know she’s the smartest person in this room.” Which is why, two seconds later I felt like she just told a huge lie about me since I hadn’t seen what Landon was up to sooner. Perry Holtz stepped up onto the stage and sat on the stool provided holding a microphone in one hand, a plastic tiara in the other. “Holy. Shit.” Loraine whispered beside me.

“It seems, esteemed patrons, we have been graced by the presence of royalty. The reincarnation of Queen Nefertiti is here, and I do believe we should bestow a crown upon her.” Loraine’s hand shot out of no where and grabbed my wrist.

“Please tell me the plane went down and I am currently in a coma while on life support and that this is not actually happening.” Loraine whispered into my ear.

“You are very much unharmed.” Perry stepped off of the small stage and walked over holding out the tiara with both of his hands.

“Your highness.” He smirked. Loraine stood and bowed her head gracefully as he placed the plastic on her head. I suddenly remembered the photo I had seen when Billy took me to their school, she had been homecoming queen.

“At least someone recognizes me for who I truly am.” Loraine smirked turning to face Landon. “Someone should start begging for mercy now.”

“Loraine, you are queen of my headaches, the chief reason Beckett and I have found ourselves in two very complicated situations we should not have been put in, and finally you are the shining example of an over inflated ego, you surpass everyone in that department.” Loraine rolls her eyes at Landons smirk.

Perry hopped back up on stage and took his seat on the stool picking up the guitar someone had placed beside it. He begins strumming, playing a familiar tune, and then begins singing. I can’t move, every cell in my body had frozen into place as I know this song all too well. I shouldn’t be hearing these words coming from Perry’s lips. I shouldn’t be hearing these words coming from anybody’s. Halfway through the song the microphone is cut off. Perry stops and looks over to his left where Calvin is standing holding the cord in his hand. He unplugged it. Evie is standing beside him on the phone glaring at Perry.

“What the hell?” Loraine hisses behind me poking my elbow. Clearly she isn’t happy Perry has stopped singing. What had Perry been singing?

“Whoa.” Relik says. “How did that… wait, what?” That causes me to turn and look at my friends. All of their drinks are frozen solid. Except for Bernie’s. She ordered a virgin strawberry daiquiri and it has turned into complete liquid. How had it melted that fast? She had only gotten it a few minutes ago.

I look at Landon whose eyes are slightly widened. Why is he so concerned? It’s not like I could have done this. None of them were drinking water and I couldn’t affect soda, Landon had me try. People begin complaining that their drinks are either frozen solid or completely melted. Hands gently grab my shoulders startling me. I turn my head to see Evie. She’s worried, I can tell, and there is something else in her eyes. Fear. What is she afraid of?

“Can I speak to you for a second?” She asks. I nod and stand up, Landon starts to stand but Evie stops him. “Just her.” I can tell Landon isn’t happy but he lowers himself back into his chair. Evie leads me into the back, past the stage, while Calvin makes an announcement telling everyone their drinks will be replaced.

“I am so sorry.” Perry exhales wrapping me into a hug once we are out of sight of everyone. A curtain blocking us from view.

“Sorry for what?” I’m confused. My aunt and uncle exchange a worried glance as Calvin steps into the small room.

“You recognized the song didn’t you?” Perry asks. The song, yes, there was a song. I knew the song. How did I know the song? Why is my brain cloudy? Why can’t I remember the words he was singing?

“I think so maybe. Everything is kind of murky.” I admit. Calvin and Evie narrow their eyes at Perry.

“How was I supposed to know this would happen?” He defends. What happened? Why am I in a small room with… who are these people? I take a step back and bump into a box. Where am I? “Maya already called Christina, she’s on her way.” Maya? Christina? The names are familiar but I can’t place them.

“Beckett?” The turns to me. How does she know my name? “Are you ok?” I look around for an escape. There’s a curtain but no door. Maybe I use the curtain? I pull it to the side and step through looking around. There are a lot of people here. A table with four teenagers is watching me. A boy with dreadlocks and a girl with dark brown hair look confused. A very pretty girl with blonde hair and a plastic tiara looks freaked out. The last person, a boy with dark brown hair and beautiful gray eyes looked worried. Why was such a good looking boy worried?

“Beckett?” The lady calls softly coming out of the curtain behind me “What are you doing?” I don’t know this lady or how she knows me so I keep walking. The handsome boy stands up and walks over to me.

“Are you ok?” Maybe. I don’t know. I don’t know any of the people here or where I am. Maybe I’m not ok. I need to call my dad, he’ll know what to do even if he is mad at me for leaving this house. But I don’t have a phone. Maybe the boy will let me use his phone.

“I wouldn’t ask if this wasn’t entirely necessary but I really need to call my dad, can I use your phone?” The boy gives me a puzzled expression but pulls out his phone and hands it to me. When I type in the number my fathers name shows up. How does this boy know my dad? “Daddy?” I say when he picks up.

“Hey kid, everything ok?” He doesn’t sound mad, he sounds… happy. I look at the boy carefully before I answer, he doesn’t look like he’ll try to hurt me.

“I don’t know where I am, I’m sorry I left the house, I don’t even know why I did it. I don’t remember leaving, honest, but know there’s a bunch of people around me and some of them know my name and I don’t know them and I’m just really scared. Daddy, can you come pick me up?” The boy in front of me has very wide eyes. I take a small step back.

“Beckett, honey, I want you to listen to me very carefully. Find Landon, I’m sure he’s around there somewhere since you’re using his phone.” I look at the boy in front of me. This is his phone but I don’t know him or his name.

“Who’s Landon?” I ask into the phone. The boy in front of me is staring at something behind me.

“Beckett, this isn’t funny.” My dad says. I tell him I’m not kidding and I think he believes me. “Landon is your boyfriend, he’s there to protect you. Find him and tell him what’s going on.” I look at the boy in front of me.

“Are you Landon?” I ask softly.

“Yes.” He reaches up towards my face and I take a small step to the side. He drops his hand.

“My dad says you’ll help me.” In my ear my dad tells me to give the phone to Landon so I do. The boy, Landon, takes the phone and begins talking into it watching me carefully. He hangs up and puts his phone away. “Do you know where I am?” I ask.

“We’re at a bar that Calvin and Evie own, we came to watch Perry play, they are your aunt and uncles.” He says softly. I shake my head.

“I only have two uncles, and they’re not even real ones. Their names are Billy and Tyler.” I have no idea why I’m telling him this, but my dad said to find him and I trust my dad. Landon turns around and waves the blonde with the tiara over.

“Something is wrong with Beckett.” Landon says in a low voice, “She doesn’t know where we are and she doesn’t remember me. She does remember Tyler and Billy though. Call Tyler and tell we’re coming over to his house.”

“No.” Someone says behind me. “You need to wait here, Christina is on her way.” Landon shakes his head.

“I need to get Beckett somewhere safe, I’ll tell Christina to meet us at Tyler’s.”

“Tyler doesn’t live here.” I say. “He lives on the other side of the country.”

“Beckett,” Landon says my name softly and he smiles softly too even though he looks very sad, “we aren’t in Arizona. We’re in Maryland.” Is that why my dad wouldn’t come get me? He looks back at whoever is behind me. “Can you give Bernie and Relik a ride home? Thanks.” Landon takes my hand sending a warmth through me. I know I can trust him, and that with him I am safe.

In the car I stare amazed and scared at the snow. I vaguely remember it from when I lived here as a small child. But now I’m supposed to be in Arizona with my father. Not in a car with a beautiful boy who makes me warm and a weird blonde girl who won’t stop asking me questions or telling me things that never happened.

“So you really have no idea who I am?” She asks for the third time. I shake my head. “What about Land-o.” She gestures with her thumb at the boy driving the car.

“My dad told me who he was.” I say not sure if what he’s saying is true. I would remember having a boyfriend. It would be too hard not to, I never leave the house. Then again… I don’t remember how I ended up here.

“Which is?” I can tell from her tone she is smiling. I don’t respond. What if my dad was wrong and Landon isn’t who he says he was. “Landon, quit with the damn eye rolling, you know you want to hear what she’s going to say and I can tell that this is killing you.” I sneak a glance at the boy and I can tell that he is hurt.

“My dad said you’re here to protect me.” I tell him. Loraine scoffs. “What do I need protection from?”

“Did he say anything else about Landon?” She presses.

“Well, yes. But I don’t see how that’s really any of your business. He didn’t mention you.” I tell her.

“Damn, wipe this girls memory and suddenly she’s got some attitude. As much as this sucks I’m kind of liking it.”

“Loraine.” Landon groans. For some reason this makes me smile a little.

“All right Beckett, what else did dear old Dad tell you about boy wonder?” I know deep down she isn’t going to drop this until I answer her. I take in a deep breath.

“That’s something I would prefer to talk to Landon about.” I hope she understands that that means I want to speak to him in private. She doesn’t get a chance to respond though. Landon has already turned the car and I see Tyler standing on the porch of a rather large house.

The second the car comes to a stop I bolt out of the car and run to him. He’s the first familiar face I’ve seen all night and I haven’t seen him in years. “Whoa Spickett. You ok?”

“I’m sorry, I didn’t realize I should be less enthusiastic about seeing you. You haven’t visited in what? 5 years?” Tyler takes a step back holding me by my shoulders.

“I saw you yesterday kid.” His eyes are searching mine, for what I don’t know.

“No. You didn’t. I’m pretty sure I would remember.” Tyler looks at me puzzled and then at the two people who drove me here.

“What happened?” He asks them.

“She has no idea who we are.” Loraine answers. Tyler shakes his head disbelievingly and turns me to face Landon.

“Beckett, who is that boy?” I tell him his name is Landon. “Who is he to you?”

“I don’t know.” I shake my head. The boy lets out a heavy sigh and walks into the house.

“We’re going to have to come clean to Tina.” He says behind him his voice cracking. “There’s no hiding this.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so, so, so sorry this took so long! I promise to start working on the next chapter tomorrow. I need the distraction. (Also, if the word 'Gone' randomly appears somewhere I'm sorry. I typed in the title but now I don't see it. It may have ended up in the chapter.)