Until the Tide Returns

Loraine

Loraine's POV


The second Landon sat down next to me in study hall I pounced. “Tell me again how you want to be nothing more than friends with Beckett?” He rolled his eyes and pulled out his journal. Nuh-uh. This boy is so not going to ignore me like he did yesterday. I almost died. “You can deny it all you want Land-o but I know you like her.”

“Loraine,” he smiled at me, “get a life.”

“So, did you ask Beckett to the dance or did you ask Beckett to the dance?” I reached over and took the pen from his hand. He was going to talk to me whether he wanted to or not. He rolled his eyes and went through his backpack for another pen. I took the opportunity to grab his journal and move it out of his reach. That got his attention. I knew he wouldn’t be able to use his laptop the entire period either. I took the liberty of removing the battery from it this morning.

“I know no matter what I tell you you’re going to make so much more of it than it actually is. But I’ll tell you anyway. I asked her if she wanted to go. As in with you, me, and Tank. Plus everyone else you‘ve forced into going.” He held out his hand expectantly. Ha. He thought that was going to get him off the hook. He knew better than that.

“So what’s the plan for your birthday?” I raised a brow and watched his expression carefully. Who invites some girl he supposedly is ‘just friends’ with before his best friend? Someone who is completely full of shit. He smiled, a forced one.

“Billy is opening a new restaurant in Scottsdale. He said he would have a table held for us.”

“Is that why you asked Beckett before me?”

“Are you really going to get upset because I asked her before you?” I rolled my eyes. He knew me better than that. “He offered when I asked if she could go.”

“Why not ask Jason? Her dad. Or better yet, why not let her ask. It sounds more like you’re trying to get permission to date her.” His smile faded. I had him. I just didn’t understand why he would try to hide it from me.

“Her dad is out of town. Billy is staying with her.”

“How do you know?” He smirked again. Always happy when he knew something before I did.

“Billy gave Maggie the week off and decided to bring her to see what a class in an actual school was like. Tank brought her into my calculus class.” That bastard. I don’t care what kind of plans we made for tonight, Tank wasn’t getting anything more than a peck on the cheek.

“You really need to grow a pair and just ask her to the dance as your date.” I said making sure no fleck of annoyance was in my tone or on my face.

“Fine then, care to lend me yours?” I punched him in the shoulder. He laughed. “I really don’t see why you're so bent on this.”

“Because moron, I know you better than you know yourself. You. Like. Her. Deny it all you want Landon but I know you do. You told her about dinner on Saturday before me for a reason. My guess is you didn’t want me or anyone else tagging along. Besides every time I see you around her you keep looking at her lips.” He sighed and sat back. “I’m really not buying the whole story about being allergic to water either. It’s not something you can just get over.”

“Loraine. Drop it.” He tried to sound bored, but it came out annoyed.

“You don’t think she’s the one your supposed to be looking for or whatever do you?” Landon sent me a look telling me to shut up. I decided to drop it and gave him his journal back. We didn’t have homework so luckily the teacher didn’t give two shits about is talking through the period, though I knew within a few days she would.

“I think she likes you.” I said to him once he began writing in his journal. Silence was murder. He paused for only a second and then began writing again.

“Drop it Loraine. Remember what happened last time you tried to play matchmaker?”

“That was so not my fault. I also really don’t believe you’re just going to drop this crap with Simon either just because Beckett thought it was stupid. Even though it is. And no matter how many times everyone told you two to cut it out you wouldn’t listen. So you have to be lying. Unless you know, you really do like her.” I tapped my fingers on the table. Luckily I had already bought his birthday present. I still needed to go shopping for an outfit for Saturday. I could go tomorrow. I pulled out my phone and dialed Beckett’s number. Her dad promised he would get a cell phone for her. Hopefully it was soon. I preferred not calling land lines.

“Why are you so interested in my feelings towards someone I met barely a week ago?” He dropped his pen and turned to me. Beckett’s machine came on. I hung up and placed my phone back on the table.

“I know you made the playlists for her.” He had never done that for anyone but me. And it was always as a birthday present to get me to like something else than ‘that crap’ as he put it.

“Jealous?” He asked cocking a brow. “I’m really starting to think you’re bringing all of this up because I didn’t tell you first. Like when we were 7 and I didn’t give you the first invitation to my birthday party. You’re not going to dump a bucket of mud on my head again are you?”

I laughed. “I just think it’s sweet that you took the effort to do something nice for her. Everyone around here knows you‘re too stuck up to take an interest in someone other than the select few of us who are friends with you.”

“Remind me again why I’m still friends with you?”

“Because you would be lost without me. And I’m the only one that knows about your weird ass secret. And because I introduced you to Beckett. Whom you need to ask to the dance. Or you know at least get her phone number.”

“Already have it.” No he didn’t. I grabbed his phone off of the table and scrolled through his contacts. I looked up at the smug expression on his face when I found it.

“What did you do? Ask her dad? Or did you steal it from my phone? We all know you would never give a girl your phone number. Half of the girls in the school are trying to get you to at least look at them, they would probably die if you acknowledged their poorly coordinated existence. I wonder what would happen if you gave one your phone number? I could probably auction it off.”

“Are you done?” He crossed his arms over his chest. I shrugged and set his phone down. “I gave her my number incase she needed someone to talk to. Someone that doesn’t have a huge mouth.”

“If that was meant to offend me you should really try a little harder.” Whoa whoa whoa. “You gave her your number? Holy frickin’ crap. Go ahead and tell me again how you don’t want to suck her face off.” He grimaced. “I hope she called you and you at least apologized.”

“For what?” He suddenly looked very concerned. I was tempted to smack him in the side of the head.

“I don’t know. Maybe for immediately shutting down the thought of you having actual feelings for her yesterday? You didn’t waste anytime and acted like she wasn’t even there. Go ahead and tell me I’m a bitch and I’m rude and blah blah blah but that was harsh dude. Did you even see her face? It like froze. I’m pretty sure she was trying to look like she didn’t care but she did. It was pretty obvious.”

“You really need to get a new hobby.” I could tell what I said had struck something in him from the look on his face. Something was really bothering him.

“Fine then.” I picked up my phone and texted Amy and Nat. I needed to go to the mall tomorrow. “Quick question. When Beckett calls and asks me what you want for your birthday, because we both know you’ll tell her nothing and she’s too nice not to bring you something, should I just tell her what I think or is there something you actually want?”

“A day without you trying to figure out every little thing I do.” He sighed. “Or the Star Wars Blu-ray collection. Which I know you already have wrapped up and sitting in your closet. You really shouldn’t keep receipts in your car. Thanks in advance though.”

“You still aren’t getting it until Saturday.” I grumbled picking up my phone. Swatting him in the arm when I saw the smile spread across his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love Loraine, I really do. I was really trying to make this more about their friendship and not so much about Loraine's suspicions but I couldn't.Loraine is just too damn nosy.

Also, if I didn't do this from her perspective Beckett was going to be not only super smart, but a master carpenter. Which after an attempt to re organize her room resulted in her trying to make a table out of a collection of books. It didn't work out well and she had another panic attack over another of Landon's playlists and this time fully flipped her lid. I need her lid to stay on for the time being. Even if it is pretty loose at the moment.

Plus it makes the 'big reveal' way cooler.

Thanks for all of your wonderful comments!