Fighting for Freedom

Dawson's Song

“Welcome, Lydia,” my Father greeted me as I slowly made my way to his throne. I stood tall and proud before him as I took the edge of my gown in one hand and curtsied. He turned his dark green eyes over to the group of men, about a dozen or so, and announced, “Men, this is my lovely daughter.”

The men turned their gaze on me and eyed me like a prized piece of meat or rare delicacy. I shrinked back from their penetrating gazes and stood beside my Father. I knew that while they were in his presence they wouldn’t dare do or say anything disrespectful to me. My Father made small talk with the princes while I silently and obediently stood beside him. Women were to be seen and not heard.

“Well, the servants will escort you gentlemen to your rooms. They will gather your belongings from your carriages and bring them to your rooms shortly,” my Father said, gesturing to the twenty or so men servants standing off to the side entrance of the throne room. The princes nodded and all walked over to the servants who led them through the double doors that led to the guest rooms. As soon as they were gone my father turned to me and smiled.

“You look so beautiful in that dress Lydia. ’Tis a shame you do not wear it more often.”

I simply smiled and replied, “But it is such an elegant dress I must wear it only for such special occasions.” That remark got me out of wearing the dress so many times.

“Well, I guess it doesn’t matter, you’re wearing it now, and you will be wearing it to the dinner and ball tonight?” I could see in his eyes it was more of a order than a question.

“Of course, Father.”

Image


As soon as I got back to my room I had Cassie unlace my stays and I changed into a more comfortable dress. I had only promised my father I would wear the dress tonight at the dinner, I hadn’t said anything about the time before that. Adela wouldn’t be happy later when she learned she would have to lace up my stays again, but I couldn’t bear to wear the dress a second longer.

I walked over to my dresser and tried to unto the braid in my hair, but it was pinned up in the back and I couldn’t see where I was supposed to untie it. I saw Cassie look up and stare at me for a second.

“Would you like me to help you, princess?” she asked. I nodded and let her nimble finger take over. Within a few seconds she had undone the braid and let my hair fell in long blonde waves over my shoulders.

“What hairstyle will you be wearing to the ball tonight, princess?” she asked me. I thought for a moment, then shrugged.

“It doesn’t matter to me,” I replied nonchalantly. Cassie looked at me quizzically.

“Don’t you want to make a good impression on your future husband?” she asked. I looked in her eyes and saw that no matter my answer, she wouldn’t judge me. That was another thing I loved about Cassie. You could confess anything to her and she wouldn’t utter a word of ridicule or chastise you.

“Honestly, no. Cassie, I do not want to marry any of those princes. I want what the peasants have, to marry for love,” I confessed, looking at her with pleading eyes.

“Sometimes duty means doing something your heart will regret, but with power comes responsibility, that’s always what I’ve thought when I think of royals. They may not have to worry about money or food, but every present comes with strings. They are always the ones that have to put their feelings aside to do what’s right for their people, and that’s something I’ve always admired about them,” she advised. Even though Adela was quite a bit older Cassie was far wiser. “You will grow to love your future husband.”

I smiled at her. She always tried to cheer me up when I was down. “I hope you’re right.”

Image


I looked out the window at the setting sun as I gripped my bedposts once again while Adela laced my stays on my gown. She was irritated that she had to do it again, but she didn’t complain.

“Okay, you’re ready, princess.” I slipped my shoes on and took a quick glance at myself in my mirror. Adela had arranged my hair so that it curled and fell loosely around my shoulders. I took a deep breath and walked out my room and down the hall to the dining room. I stood outside the huge double doors as the guard announced my presence.

As soon I heard my name I walked inside and saw everyone standing to pay me honor. I walked over to my usual place next to mother and the court jester, Dawson, but when I got there I saw that he had been replaced by a prince. I sat down at my seat and saw that Dawson was at the other end of the table. As soon as I sat down everyone else did too and mother leaned over to whisper something to me.

“The King thought you should sit next to the princes so you could get to know them better. He said you will sit by a different prince each night.” I sighed and remained silent. I knew better than to express my displeasure. I turned to the price on my left and put on my best smile.

“Hello,” I greeted him.

“Greetings, Princess Lydia. My name is Sir William,” he said with a smug tone in his voice. I could already tell I wouldn’t like him, but I had to give him a chance for my father’s sake.

“What kingdom are you from Sir William?” I asked him.

“Katersia,” he answered. Katersia was a kingdom not far from our own kingdom of Deltoma.

Katersia is well-known for it’s great wealth, silk, and spices and is often compared to the Sassanid Empire before it collapsed nearly 964 years ago. Some even say it is the second coming of it.

“I hear you have lovely silk there,” I said just to make conversation. He nodded.

“Yes, people say is it even finer than Persian silk,” he bragged.

“My bed sheets are imported from Katersia. When I sleep in them it feels like I am floating on a cloud,” I said with a smile. Even if I don’t particularly like Sir William, I do admire Katersian silk.

All through dinner I had to listen to him brag about his homeland and about how much grander it was than Deltoma. Apparently manners weren’t something that the royals practiced in Katersia. By the time dinner was over I was glad for an excuse to get away from Sir William.

My father stood up and announced that it was time for dancing in the ballroom. I stood up quickly and followed my mother into the ballroom, deliberately trying to lose Sir William in the crowd, but when I turned around he was right behind me. He smirked at me.

“I can tell from the way you rushed in here that you cannot wait to dance with me,” he said with a smirk. Oh how I had to hold my tongue to keep from saying something that I would later regret. People paired off and soon the music filled the room. Sir William didn’t wait to ask me if I would like to dance, he just grabbed my hand and started the dance. He was a fine dancer, but much too aggressive from me. I didn’t like the way he dragged me this way and that, and how tight his hand was around my waist. It was almost like wearing a second corset. It was after the third dance ended that I suddenly saw a finger tap Sir Williams shoulder. His arm slackened and I was able to breathe easier. As he turned around I saw Dawson standing behind him with a polite smile on his face.

“May I cut in?” he asked with a slightly bow in my direction. Sir William raised his head and his arm immediately tightened around my waist.

“Certainly not. I was dancing with her first,” he huffed.

“Excuse me, but I was speaking to the princess,” Dawson said, and I resisted the urge to laugh at his obvious defiance to Sir William. Sir William turned back to me with a look that clearly communicated that he wanted me to turn him down.

“I would love to, Dawson,” I said politely as I lifted my hand from Sir Williams shoulder and took Dawson’s outstretched hand. The music started and we began to spin around the ballroom. Dawson wasn’t the finest dancer, but his touch was gentle and light. I could barely feel his hand around my waist, yet it guided me as he led the way through the dance. When the dance ended he raised my hand to his lips and kissed it.

“I am sorry princess, but I must go now. It is almost time for me to perform the song I wrote for your birthday,” he said as he released my hand. I stood there as the next song began, watching him disappear in the crowd.

I turned around and spotted Sir William making his way towards me in the crowd. I frantically looked around for someone else-anyone else-to dance with, but a lady always had wait to be asked to dance. I spotted a prince only two feet away. When his gaze met mine he smiled. He had no partner, and he looked nice enough. He would do. I gestured with me eyes for him to come over to me and he turned around, as if looking for someone else I might be looking at. He finally decided that I was, indeed, gesturing for him to approach me. He walked over to me and extended his hand.

“Would you like to dance, princess Lydia?” he asked almost nervously. I smiled as I nodded and took his hand, and just in time. Sir William arrived just to see me hand in the other man’s hand.

“Oh, I was going to ask you if you wanted to dance, but I see you have already found a partner,” he said curtly.

“You can have the next dance, if you want,” the man said. I could see he was a people pleaser type of person. Sir William just walked away with a brisk nod, off to find a new partner. Once he was out of hearing distance I turned to my partner.

“May I have your name?” I asked.

“Oh, of course, I almost forgot,” he laughed, “My name is Prince Landon.”

“Well, I would like to thank you Prince Landon.”

He looked at me quizzically. “For what, my princess?”

“For asking me to dance. I am not too fond of dancing with Sir William,” I replied. He smiled.

“Well, if you do not wish to dance with him, then I will be your partner for the rest of the evening, if that is to your liking.”

I was about to reply, when the dance ended and I saw the throng of people move out of the center of the room. I saw Dawson run to the middle, doing a cartwheel then landing on his feet again with his hands in the air. All the people laughed when he shook his head and his hat with bells jingled.

“For this special and momentous occasion of the fair Princess Lydia’s birthday, I have prepared a song for her,” he announced to the people. I saw my Father and Mother sit down in their thrones, just as eager to hear his song as I.

The flute players and harpists began to play their instruments, and a moment later Dawson’s voice joined in harmony with them.

“There was a princess and everyone could see
She was beautiful, but also graceful and fair was she
Lad’s from far away land’s gathered ’round
Her wit and smarts were widely renown
She had come of age to choose a husband her own
But who she will chose is yet to be known.
With such flawlwess beauty in her eyes
As the twinkle in the night
How can such a princess
Chose one suitable prince
How can just a single man
Be worthy of perfection”
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much happening in this chapter, but I needed to update cause it's been so long, so I mostly just introduced some new characters that will be very important in the story later on. I'm trying not to move too fast with this story like I tend to do sometimes with my other ones.

I'm like to thank everyone who commented on the last chapter: someone1330, jordancresentmoon, a n g e l., CodySimpsonsBabe, TheHereticPrincess, Tongue, Snow White;, Shane Botwin, Kat-Scrm-Queen-Meeks, franceschi., tamashi ryu, rumki, Sutton Mercer, XxYouhadmeathelloxX, NewEvilKitten, Amanishi Vengeance. And thanks to the 5 subscribers! =)

A special thanks to colibri and electric goat, for pointing out a few historical inaccuracies, names that didn't fit the times, and some dialogue that seemed a little too modern. I fixed it, so thanks guys! =) So, don't be afraid to tell me what you think, even if it's something negative, cause that's how I make my story better.

And a very special thanks to hyrule. She was the comment that motivated me to hurry up and write a chapter and get it out. And one more thing: a virtual cookie for anyone who can tell me what year it is in the story (Hint: Look up when the Sassanid Empire fell) =D