Fighting for Freedom

Knowing

"Oh, I am late!" I heard Landon mumble. I heard his footsteps retreat as he walked briskly down the hall. I let my hands fall to my sides and hit the stone wall behind me. I could barely breathe. How could Cassie do such a thing? How could she betray me in this way?! She should never have even started seeing Landon, she knew he and I were close! And how could Landon comply? Why would he start seeing her when he was here to try and win my heart? Why and when did this even start?

I took a deep breath before standing up straight and walking down the hall and up the stairs. When I got to the top I saw Landon standing there, facing the doorway. When he saw me he smiled, but I could see pain in his eyes. Had it always been there?

"I am sorry I am late. I had something to attend to," I said, my voice coming out harsh. A concerned look crossed his face.

"It is quite fine. Is something bothering you, Lydia?" he asked, walking over to me. I took a step back and shook my head.

"No, I am fine," I said coolly before walking over to the window. "Have you told my father the news of our engagement?"

"Yes," Landon answered with a chuckle. "When I walked in the throne room the first thing your father asked was, 'Are you coming to tell me of your engagement to Lydia?' when I answered him, 'yes' he was ecstatic. It seems he was expecting it."

"Why would he not?" I answered, not wanting to face him.

"I suppose you are right. Anyway, he wants us to announce the news at the ball tomorrow," he went on.

"As I expected."

"Lydia, is something on your mind? You seem like you are not yourself." I turned to face him.
"Were my answers not good enough for you?" I snapped back. He took taken aback.

"It is clear you are upset about something," he said with a frown. "I shall leave you alone to let your mood pass, but I advise straightening it out before the announcement tomorrow."

He turned on his heel before walking away. I let out a huff as he walked away. How dare he betray me in this manner and act like I am a villain! I crossed my arms and walked over to the window, gazing out at the sight I had seen so many times before, but even the sight of the bustling village down below didn't cheer me up.

Image


I walked along the east wing of the castle, deciding to take a stroll after Landon had left. I passed by the sparring room and heard metal clinking together. I walked up to the door and peeked inside. I saw Sir William and Landon sparring with fencing swords, and from the looks of it Sir William was winning.

As I watched Landon seemed to get a dazed look on his face, like he was deep in thought, and it did not escape Sir William's notice. He drew back his sword and swung at Landon's sword, knocking it to the ground.

"Do you not think me a worthy adversary to even concentrate on the match?" Sir William asked with a scowl. "I have beat you ten times in a row, surely you have been trained better than that in the art of fencing!"

"I have pressing matters weighing on my mind," Landon replied as he went to pick up his sword. Landon got in the fencing position and Sir William matched it.

"And what might be troubling you? Is the princess acting cold and distance as I predicted? Has she already lost interest in you?" Sir William jabbed. A dark look suddenly crossed Landon's face and with a cry he swung his sword at Sir William. Sir William was prepared for the attack, but the next swing seemed to take him by surprise and his sword flew from his hand and clattered to the ground. Landon walked over to him and pressed the tip of the sword against his throat, breathing heavily and giving him an intense look. Sir William had a mixture of shock and terror etched on his face at the sight of the sword against his throat, even though it was blunt.

"Do not presume to make claims about my personal life. You know nothing about the princess. She may not stand up to you, but I surely will!" he growled before pulling his sword back and throwing it to the ground. With one last glare at Sir William he walked towards the door. I panicked and quickly hid myself behind a nearby drapery hanging from the wall.

A few seconds later the sound of Landon's footsteps disappeared and I came out from behind the drapery. That comment from Sir William must have greatly angered Landon; I have never seen him act that way before.

Suddenly the sound of footsteps rushing down the hall made me spin around to see a guard walking briskly toward me.

"Your highness, the King requests your presence in the throne room immediately," he said when he reached me.

"Alright. Thank you," I said with a nod, setting off for the throne room. No doubt it was about my engagement to Landon. I walked up to the big, double doors before they swung open and I walked in to see a beaming smile on my father's face.

"Lydia, I heard about your engagement to Prince Landon! I was so happy to hear the news and I can not wait to make the big announcement at the ball tomorrow night!" he said as I walked up to him.

"Is that why you called me in here, father? To congratulate me?" I asked.

"No, I also wanted to discuss the wedding plans. We shall set the date a fortnight from today, how does that sound, my daughter?" he asked with a smile. I forced a smile and nodded.

"That sounds lovely, father."

Image


I sat in front of my mirror, watching Cassie with anger in my eyes as she scurried around my room and cleaned up. I purposely left a bigger mess than usual so she would have more to clean up. I wished I had never gone after Landon to see what was holding him up. Not knowing about their secret affair would have been better than living with the knowledge of it. I think I once heard someone say, 'Ignorance is bliss.' In this case that expression was true.

Cassie finally finished picking up the last of the items scattered around the room and stood up with a sigh before sending me a small smile. She walked over to me and picked up the brush before walking behind me.

"No, Cassie. I am capable of brushing me own hair!" I said, turning around and taking the brush from her hands. She looked at my expression in the mirror with a slightly perplexed look on her face.

I twisted the brush around and reached back to brush my own hair. I winced when I felt the metal back of the brush hit the side of my head and scowled. I twisted the brush around and tried to reach behind my head but the sleeves of my gown kept them from reaching that far and it made the binding of my corset pinch my back. I slammed the brush down on the vanity before me.

This absurd corset in too restricted! Why did you ever lace is so tight?!" I nearly yelled at her. I looked up to see a shocked look on her face.

"Princess, Adela laced your stays this morning, not I," she replied quietly. When she saw me trying to untie them she took a step forward.

"Please, princess. I can help," she offered, but I jumped up and turned around with a glare at her.

"No, I do not need your help! If you want to be of any use to me, go get Adela!" I yelled and with a fearful look in her eyes she nodded quickly and ran out of the room, forgetting to shut the door behind her. A few minutes later Adela walked into my room with a confused look on her face.

"Cassie says you requested me, princess?" she asked and I nodded.
"I cannot reach back to brush my hair because my corset is too tight," I said.

"Would you like me to loose your stays or brush your hair for you?" she asked. I took a deep breath to calm myself down. Adela did nothing wrong, I should make sure not to snap at her.

"Brush my hair," I replied.

"Cassie seemed upset. Did something happen?" she asked.

"It is a personal matter."

Adela did not press any further on the matter. I knew I should not be mad at Cassie, not really, but I was. When I saw her with Landon I just, I felt something spark inside of me. Like setting fire to a log, it grew as time went on. It almost felt like jealousy, but I knew it could not be that. Jealousy suggested that I loved Landon romantically…and yet, I knew it was true deep down in my heart; I had felt jealousy. But how could that be when I did not love him in that way? What right did I have to be angry with him if I did not love him in a romantic sense?

I looked down at the ground and bit down on my lip slightly. If I was to be completely honest with myself I had to admit that maybe I had fallen for Landon, if only a little bit. It was nothing compared to my love for Dawson, and yet, it was there.

Suddenly I felt something yank on my hair. I looked up to see Adela brushing my hair with more force than necessary.

"Be gentler, Adela. I do not want to be bald," I said.

"Yes, princess," she said obediently.

Image


The next day I stood up at the top tower, looking out at the view. Suddenly I heard footsteps coming up the stairs and turned around to see Landon walk in.

"I thought you might be here," he said. I ignored him and turned back around. I heard him walk over and stand next to me.

"I am sorry if I upset you yesterday, Lydia. I was having a trying day." I bet you were.

"Lydia, are you listening?" he asked and I nodded.

"Is there something you want to talk about?"

"No."

He let out a small sigh. "Ok, then I shall see you at the ball tonight when your father makes the announcement."

I nodded and he turned around and he walked to the door. I listened as his footsteps slowly made their way to the door and bit down on my lip in frustration. Would things ever be fine between us again? Before, we were the dearest of friends and now we do not even talk without anger lining our words. But what could I do? I couldn't make myself forget what I had seen or undo what had already been done.

"Landon, wait!" I called out, turning around. Landon stopped in the doorway and turned around.

"Yes?"

"There is something I want to talk about…" I trailed off. He walked over to me and leaned against the window sill, nodding for me to continue.

"I know about you and Cassie. I overheard you and her talking yesterday," I said bluntly, a small fire flaring up inside me as I said it. Landon's eyes widened and he opened his mouth to speak before closing it again.
"I never intended for you to find out, Lydia. I am sorry," he finally said. That was all he had to say?

"Why did you even start a relationship with her when you were here to court me?" I asked angrily.

"Are you jealous, Lydia?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, of course not," I said, but I could feel my cheeks warming up.

"Lydia, I never intended to start anything with her. We met a few times as I was walking through the halls and got to talking. I never sought her out like I did you, and I broke things off as soon as you chose me. I made a promise to you that I intend to keep."

"Even so, it is hard to love someone knowing their heart is not with you," I replied with a scowl.

"Just like you are in love with someone else?" he shot back. I froze in place, my mouth hanging slightly open.

After a few seconds of silence I replied, "How did you know that?"

He let out a sigh an his expression softened. "It is not hard to tell, Lydia. I can see it in your eyes. I do not pretend to know who it is, but I can see your heart is elsewhere." I realized the hypocrisy of what I had said and looked down at my feet.

"I am sorry for how I acted, Landon," I apologized, even though I was still a little hurt by what he had done.

"We are both in love with someone else, so may we forgive each other and put this past behind us?" he asked, putting a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and nodded before leaning into his arms and letting him hold me. After a few minutes I pulled away and Landon gave me a smile.

Image


I walked down the hall after the midday meal to just gather my thoughts and think about the future. Before this I knew I would have to leave my country with my husband when I got married, but I was always comforted by the thought that I would have Cassie and Adela coming with me as my ladies-in-waiting, but now everything had changed.

I could not take Cassie with me anymore. She would be a temptation to Landon, and I knew it would be hard for her to see us together. I could not imagine a life if I were a maid, to see my princess married to the man I loved. I even felt my stomach turn at the idea of Dawson being with another woman and being forced to see them happily together everyday. It would be torture, and I could not put Cassie through that, no matter how angry I still was at her.

"Cassie, did you hear the princess is betrothed to Landon? I hear they are to announce the news at the ball tonight," I heard Adela's voice carry down the hall. It was coming from the sleeping quarters Cassie and Adela shared.

"Yes, I heard. I am happy for the princess," I heard Cassie say, but I could detect a sadness in her voice. Adela seemed not to notice, for she went on.

"Well, there is much work to be done in preparation for the ball tonight. I shall leave you to your work," she said before walking out. When she saw me down the hall she gave a nod before walking off in the other direction. I was about to continue on my way when I heard a soft sound coming from the room.

I walked over to the door and looked in to see Cassie lying on the floor, her legs drawn up to her chest and her face in her hands. A small sob escaped her lips and I suddenly felt bad for how I had treated her last night. I clearly was not the only one hurting in this situation, and Cassie was probably even more upset than I had been, yet she held in her temper. A princess was always supposed to be refined, even in the most trying situations. A princess was supposed to be looked upon as a paragon of virtue, and I had failed in that respect. I had made a mess out of things, thinking only of myself.

"Cassie?" Her head jerked up and surprise washed across her face when she saw me. She got up and quickly wiped away her tears.

"Yes, princess?" she asked politely, but I could see a flash of jealousy in her eyes when she caught sight of the ring on my finger. I put my arms behind my back and walked over to her.

"I am sorry for how I acted yesterday. 'Twas quite improper and I hope you can forgive me," I said.

"You are already forgiven, Princess," she said with a nod. I gave her a small smile before turning and leaving.

Image


I stood in front of my bedpost as Adela laced my stays. Adela hummed happily to herself while I fought back the urge to faint. I could not get the image of Cassie lying on the floor crying out of my head, and it was all because of me. I felt nauseous when I realized I was the reason of distress of two of my dearest friends: Landon and Cassie. What good would it do to have Cassie, Landon, and I to all be unhappy in some way?

Landon had given up his one love for me, and Cassie had done the same; how did I repay them? By being mean and spiteful, and yet, I still felt those feelings weighing me down.

"You are done Princess," Adela said. I nodded and dismissed her before lying down on my bed and closing my eyes. There was nothing I could do about this, nothing at all.

Landon was mine and it was wrong of Cassie to even start something with Landon,

I told myself. I stood up and walked to the ballroom where I saw Landon waiting for me by the door. He gave me a smile when I reached him and kissed my hand before walking with me inside. The caller announced us and we walked in, with all eyes on me. Some of the princes had envy in their eyes when they saw Landon was holding my arm.

The rest passed by in a blur and before I knew it Landon had walked me up to my mother and father's throne's.

"Are you ready to make the announcement?" Landon asked the king.

"Yes," he said. I looked to see him rise from his seat and panic coursed through my veins. I looked out at the crowd to see Cassie standing at the edge of the ballroom, serving food to the guests. She looked up and met my gaze for a second before setting the tray down and dashing out of the room.

For the first time I finally realized how betrayed she must feel, and I forgot about my own emotions. I put myself in her shoes and imagined how I would feel if she and Dawson were courting and we both had fallen in love, only for her to announce her engagement to him. Of course she had not done it on purpose. Who can choose who they love, after all?

I looked back at Landon and saw a twinge of sadness in his eyes, but when he looked down at me and saw the distressed look on my face he wrapped an arm around my shoulder and did his best to look happy. I looked across the room to see Dawson standing there, leaning against the wall. I knew how I would feel if the roles were reversed, so how could I do this to Cassie?

I looked back at my father who slowly made his way to the edge of the stairs that led up to the thrones. He had my mother at his side; they were both beaming so proudly. How could I disappoint them? I looked back at Landon once more. How could I go through our marriage for the rest of our lives, keeping him from his one true love, knowing how it feels to be separated from that one person, like I was from Dawson?

But what could I do? I could not disappoint my parents; I could not sacrifice Cassie's happiness just for my own comfort; I could not live with myself knowing what I had done to Landon. What could I do? What should I do?

I looked back at my father who stood at the edge and cleared his throat. I was out of time and out of options, yet I had so many contradicting thoughts and questions. It was my time to make my choice, but what should I choose?

Image


Jenny was squirming and rocking back and forth on the bed, an anxious look on her face.

"What's wrong?" I asked her, concerned.

"I have to go to the potty!" she exclaimed, her eyes wide.

"Well, then go ahead," I said, gesturing to her slightly ajar bedroom door.

"But I want to know what happens next!" she whined.

"Jenny, the story will still be here when you get back," I said with a slight laugh. With a leap she jumped out of bed and ran out the door to the bathroom. A few minutes later I heard the water running and then being shut off. A few moments later she ran back into the room, jumped back in bed and looked at me expectantly.

"What happens next? What does Lydia do?" she asked excitedly, holding tightly to her stuffed animal. I smiled to myself; looks like my story was serving it's purpose.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, here it is, and it's a lot longer than my usual update, so I hope you like it! =)

And also, if any of you guys are interested in princess stories in general, you gotta check out Shiznit's story, Dark Dance. It's a re-telling of the classic fairytale, The Twelve Dancing Princesses. And since it's probably gonna be a while until I update again it'll give you an interesting story to read. =)