Status: This is just a one-shot/ficlet

Last Words Before The Goodbye

Don't forget to be strong.

Dean saw it happen right in front of him. His angel, his best friend, and the only man he ever truly trusted was stabbed in the neck with the angel blade. The whole room went quiet except for the choking sounds Castiel was making, and the loud scream that came out of Dean’s mouth. He ran as fast as he could over to the angel, caught him before he hit the ground, and dropped to his knees to hold him close. Castiel was fighting for air as he stared at Dean, tears filled the angel’s eyes, and that broke Dean. He wasn’t supposed to feel emotion and yet there he was feeling pain and sadness. Dean’s bottom lip quivered at the sight of it and whimpered as tears left his eyes.

“I-I —-” Castiel choked out. He was shaking so bad, the hand Dean was holding was going cold from the blood loss, but he just continued to attempt to speak.

“Cas, please, you’re going to be okay… You’re always okay. God will bring you back, the real God, Cas. He always does, you’re his favorite angel or something. This isn’t your time.”

“I—”

“Don’t talk, Castiel. It’s hurting you.”

Dean brushed the fresh tears that escaped the angel’s eyes away. Cas sucked in his last shakey breath and opened his mouth one last time.

“I l-love you, D-dean Winch-chester.”

Castiel closed his eyes as he let go of his final breath and let death take him.

“No, come on, Cas. Please! You can’t just leave me here, you can’t just say those things and leave me… It isn’t fair! You can’t, you just can’t!” Dean whispered as he pulled Castiel even closer and pressed his lips to his forehead. “Please, come back to me.”

Dean looked up from his lifeless angel to see a man wearing a stupid bowtie staring down at them. He smiled sadly at him and stepped closer. Dean eyed him curiously as he circled the hunter and angel.

“Hello, Dean Winchester,” the man said when he was back in his original spot.

“How do you know my name?”

“You sent a distress call, I unfortunately came a little too late, but I don’t think I could’ve stopped this.”

“I don’t remember asking for a weird man in a bowtie.”

“It comes with the job.”

Dean blinked and looked down at his angel. He set him down lightly and stood up.

“Why are you here?”

“To do something I’ve only done once before.”

“What is that?”

“To give you one more chance to tell him how you feel.”

“How do you think I’m supposed to do this?”

“Dean, I would like you to meet my TARDIS.”

“Is that a —-“

“No, it’s a time machine, not a sexual innuendo.”

Dean began to follow the man into another room, without a last glance towards his angel. Inside there was a blue box that stood out from the rest of the room. The man walked up to it and turned to face Dean.

“She’s a time machine, she’ll take you anywhere you want to go, time and place wise.”

“Do you expect me to believe you?”

“Of course not, but you will.” The man opened the door and walked inside. Hesitantly, Dean followed and was amazed to find that it was bigger on the inside. He felt a little dizzy and grabbed onto something to hold him up.

“I’m the Doctor, and I’m here to give you one chance. I’m very firm when I say one chance because we cannot go back twice, that will create a paradox.”

“Parad—”

“There are rules,” the Doctor interrupted. “You cannot save him, his death is a written point in time, if you try to save him horrible things will happen. It will be your fault. You can’t tell him about it either, not even angels can cheat death, trust me Castiel will try to find a way.”

“You know him?”

“Long friend of mine, but do you think you’re capable of following those rules?”

“I-I guess…”

“Brilliant!”

The Doctor walked up to what Dean assumed were the controls with a smile. Dean walked up to him and he opened his mouth to speak, but Dean stopped him before he could get a sound out.

“One day ago, around 7:15PM, we were on a beach. I was inside the beach house with a beer, Sammy had a hot date, and Cas was standing outside watching the sun go down. I think he knew that it would be his last day to see that.”

The Doctor nodded and went to work pressing buttons, pulling levers, and twisting nobs. There was a loud noise erupting from the TARDIS, and the entire room began to shake. Within seconds they had landed and everything was quiet and still again. The Doctor leaned back on the controls and nodded his head towards the door.

“You’re a block away from that beach house, go and get him.”

Dean’s heart skipped a beat as he ran to the door, swung it open, and continued to run all the way to the house. He ran into the backyard, which was technically just the beach, and watched Castiel standing there with his hands in his pockets talking to himself. Dean watched as he patted his angel’s back with a smile, then turned to walk back into the house. Dean didn’t move until he heard the sound of the door closing behind him. He then walked up to the angel and tapped his shoulder. Before he could completely turn around, Dean put his hands on either side of his face and pulled him into a longing kiss. Castiel had his hands on Dean’s waist as he shockingly kissed right back. Dean pulled away breathless and kept his forehead against his angel’s.

“You aren’t Dean, or should I say the Dean from now, are you?”

“I’m Dean, but not the Dean that just went inside. I’m the same Dean I swear to you I am.”

Castiel was silent and just stared into Dean’s green eyes.

“Why are you here?”

“I was given this one chance, Cas, this amazing chance to—”

“To what Dean?”

“I love you, Castiel. I always have and I always will. You’re my angel, and I’m sorry I never treated you like I should have,” Dean stopped to place a kiss on his lips, “I just wanted you to know this before it was too late.”

“Too late for what?”

“I can’t tell you, just know that I’ll be happy. I’ll be more than happy, because I got the chance to do this, tell you how I feel.”

“Dean, what aren’t you telling me?”

“I can’t change our future, Cas, I made a promise.”

Castiel opened his mouth to speak, but Dean stopped him with another kiss. Dean’s hands went through his hair as he tried to hang onto this moment forever, but he knew it would end far too quickly.

“I have to go now, you have a job to do, and I can’t stop you from it.”

Dean let go from his angel and backed up a few steps. Castiel was very confused and Dean was glad he was able to keep it that way. Before he turned around to return to the Doctor, he gave Cas his happiest smile.

“I love you, Castiel! Stay strong for me.”

Dean ran off back towards the TARDIS before Cas could stop him. He couldn’t get a hold on what emotion he was feeling as he stepped through the TARDIS doors once again. Dean decided that he was going through the feeling of love. The Doctor gave Dean a wink and then began to take him back to his original point in time.