Status: Updates every four days.

We Way? Three Way!

Schizophrenia

“Cupcake? I know you didn’t listen to anything that man said, right?” There was no answer.

“I know you’re real.” No answer.

“Cupcake, I know you were ticked you couldn’t ride shotgun, and that I actually took one of those pills, but who could blame me? They were my favorite flavor. Besides, Ray told me to just try one and see if I felt any better even though I didn’t actually feel that bad before.”

“Cupcake, I’m not going to tolerate this much longer. I don’t think I did anything wrong, so I don’t get why you’re not talking to me. Are you tired? That trip was pretty exhausting. I’ll just let you nap, then.” I mumbled, rushing out of my room and down the stairs. Something was horribly, horribly wrong with Cupcake. He never ignored me for this long. Nobody was in the kitchen. Living room either. Lonely and slightly dazed from a short series of neurological tests I’d tried to perform on myself, I stumbled into the front yard. Then down the street, around the corner, and into the only shop that would carry a miniature stage, perfect for Cupcake. There was no way he’d ignore me after that, right?

“Sorry, Mister,” I apologized as I nearly crashed into one of the front displays of the toy store. “Need to find something for a friend of mine.”

“Cupcake, right?”

“Yeah, it’s cool you remembered. He’s ignoring me.” This man was possibly the only one who understood.

“What happened? He seemed like a nice unicorn the times I’ve seen him.”

“I went to a doctor and took a pill even though he warned me not to and now he’s not talking to me.”

“Darling,” He called everyone Darling, for some reason. I liked it. It sounded like how a new book smells after it gets dropped on a rug. “I think maybe he’s gone this time.”

“What do you mean, Mister?”

“Well, you know how unicorns are. They’re in one body one minute, and then all of a sudden they’re off on the other side of the planet, nagging at some little German kid to get a cuter pair of pants for them.”

“I didn’t know that…”

“Well, it happens. Maybe taking that pill completely pushed him out of your head, and he got so lonely that he just up and left.”

“Why would the pill push him out of my head?”

“You went to the doctor’s, right?”

“Yeah, some guy who thought I was a schizophrenic.”

“That’s just it, then. He had a bad childhood experience, probably a similar situation to you, where he loved an inanimate object, and then someone took it away. He’s so hurt by this that when your case came up, he wanted you to suffer the same way he did.”

“Nobody else thinks that… They think because Cupcake talks- well, used to talk- to me, I’m crazy.”

“I think you should be telling this to your family, not me. They need to understand.”

“Alright, thanks, but if it turns out that Cupcake never talked to me, I might as well start thinking that none of this is real. Not you, not me, not that pain in the ass psychologist, or anything else.”

“Good luck, darling.”

I shuffled slowly back to the house, pondering. Was it possible that I was really making up his responses for him? I mean, no one else could hear him, no matter how loud he yelled.