Status: Updates every four days.

We Way? Three Way!

Gone

"Fr-Frankie?" I whispered, hardly loud enough for myself to hear. He jumped anyway.

"Oh Jesus, it's just you. What's up, kiddo?"
I couldn't speak. I could only cry. So I ran over to him and did just that. 

"Frankie," I whispered again. "Take us home."

"I will, kid- Natalie. As soon as we're all together again. We'll go home."

The days were long and nights were longer, I slept an average of forty minutes a night, broken up by long periods of creaking and heavy breathing from the rooms next door. But it wasn't the creaking and slamming and wailing that I was afraid of. It was my daddy and the girl I'd always seen as my little sister. alone in a world that offers no mercy. There are too many people in this world who wait for girls Jillian's age to destroy, and people empty as Mikey to beat until bloody. Ghosts, I could deal with. The real blow was the girl whom I'd had to remind to keep batteries out of her mouth, and the dad I'd had to watch at breakfast to make sure the forks stayed out of the toaster, being gone. And there was just no way of knowing...

Becca and I tried to keep busy, window shopping and eating ice cream during the day, up until the very moment the sky threatened to darken. I was so nervous I developed a stutter, and started calling my sister Rebecca, something I hadn't done since I'd first gotten to the orphanage and wanted to practice my 'R's. Rebecca was nervous too, constantly sucking on lollipops so she wouldn't grind down her teeth. Life revolved around looking over shoulders and scoping out streets and behind buildings, for hope of some long black hair or a tuft of brownish-blonde. 
The days got nicer and the tips of leaves started to change color. The weather was pretty, but suck levels in Casa de Romance were high. And then, something happened.

On September 10th, I woke up early to make a cake for Mikey. It was his birthday, and I'd momentarily forgotten he wasn't anywhere I could just run to at any moment. It didn't hit me, how upset I was, until I put the cake on the table to cool. God, did I miss him. Jillian too. I frosted the cake through tears.

I sat on the porch the rest of the afternoon, just waiting. Hoping, maybe...

"DADDY!" I screamed. (Wouldn't you?) He was dirty, with twigs in his hair and mud all up his gray jeans, but he was home.

"Natalie!" He hugged me back, and I cried some more onto his chest. I never, ever wanted him to leave again. 

"Where are my bandmates?" Even better. We had a band again. He walked inside, the rest of the family congregated in the living room on account of my screaming.

"So, anyone remember what day it is?" Mikey asked, like he'd always been home. No longer a remnant of a spirit, and that made me cry some more.

"Well," I said. "I forgot to bake you a cake. I did, however, bake you a cake." 

There was a knock on the door then, a single bang. I opened it, suddenly looking at my sister. 

"Dude, where's the party?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Early update, mostly due to the fact that there is a fucking hurricane coming. The power's probably gonna go out for a while.

~Freak