Card Games

Old Maid

Rose's eyes fluttered open as the sunlight from outside hit her face signaling to her that it was morning. As she tried to get out of bed, an arm wrapped around her waist restraining her from doing so.
"Allen," she said poking the source of her restraint, "wake up."
"Five more minutes," he muttered.
That's what he got for staying up late playing cards with her. Hours of poker, black jack, crazy eights, and gold fish along with their never ending conversations and occasional makeout seccions always made time fly and before he knew it, he was fast asleep on her bed. Rose giggled as she swiftly made her escape out of the white haired boy's arms. It became so routine for her that she knew every trick to escape his grasp. As she wiped her, she felt a pair of arms wrap around her.
"Are we going to have to do this everymorning?" he asked playfully.
"Come on," she replied slyly, "it's only been 87 times."
Yes. They've been together for almost three months.
As he kissed her neck gingerly, Rose closed her eyes recalling the blissful three months they spent together.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"So you got the rules?"
"Yep."
"Alright, let's play. Remember, loser has to do the winner's dare"
"You guys are so immature," Kanda mumbled.
As the train made its way to Vaduz, Allen and Rose strategized each move that they made knowing that the wrong one could result in ultimate defeat.
"You got the Old Maid," Allen said smirking. "Sorry Rose, but you lose."
Rose hit her head against the table in irritation. "Okay so what is it that I have to do? Do I have to annoy Kanda again as my dare?"
"Nope," he said taking the queen of hearts from her hand and poking a hole through it. "You have to wear this card as a necklace; carrying out your lose for the entire day."
"That's strangely cruel," she remarked placing the card around her neck. "Up for another round?"
But before Allen could answer, the train conductor announced the train's final stop; indicating to them they had to carry out their mission.
"So what is it exactly that were looking for?" Rose asked confused.
"Don't you ever pay attention?" Kanda asked in his usual annoyed voice. "We're supposed to look for a fountain that has been rumored to alter the age of people who make contact with its water. Why did Komui even send you here with us."
"Because I'm from Vaduz and know this place like the back of my hand," Rose stated knowingly. "Follow me," she said before running off somewhere.
It wasn't long before they came across an old stone fountain. There was nothing peculiar about it at all; the water from the top cascaded down from the top pool and there was a figurine on the very top.
“This can’t be it,” Allen said disappointed, “it looks like any ordinary founta-” but is words were cut short when a bird flew past the falling waters of the fountain and came out as an egg, falling to the ground below it.
“There,” Kanda said pointing to the figurine on top of the fountain that was now glowing.
“That must be the innocence,” Rose said rushing to it.
“So glad you found the innocence for us,” a voice from behind said evilly.
The three turned around only to find two level two acumma standing behind them with their eyes fixed on the grand prize: the innocence. The two exorcists instinctively reached for their anti-acumma weapons and were ready to fight. The two acumma made their way to the innocence, but before they could grab it, the two exorcists attacked, slashing water on the two akumma.
Kanda slashed, sliced, and snipped every bit of the acumma he could but every time he did, a new piece would go back in its place. The same went for Allen; he would shoot and shoot at the acumma but it seemed to have no effect on it.
“How could this be? We keep hitting them but they seem to be rejuvenating,” Allen said continuously shooting at the akumma in front of him.
“Ha, ha you fools,” one of the akumma snickered, “the power of the innocence not only effects people but akumma too.”
Then it them, when the water from the fountain touched the akumma, it allowed them to reverse all aging; including being immune to all wounds.
“Rose!” Kanda exclaimed as he continuously attacked the akumma.
“I’m on it,” she said making her way to the fountain, dodging the attacks her fellow comrades were inflicting on the akumma.
Just as she was about to touch the water in the fountain, someone yelled, “Rose don’t touch the water!” Rose turned around to see it was Allen warning her. “You don’t know how it will affect you,” he said once again shooting at the akuma.
“Don’t worry Allen, I’ll be,” but before she could finish her sentence, the akuma Kanda was fighting made a quick escape and pushed Rose, sending her into the fountain’s water.
“Now that she’s out of the way. Let’s finish this”
“Rose!” Allen cried out trying to make his way to where Rose was just standing.
“Watch it, bean sprout,” Kanda said cutting off the arm of the akumma that was about to attack Allen. To his amazement, and the akumma’s amazement, another limb did not grow back in its place.”
“What?!!” the akumma cried out confused. “That can’t possibly be.”
“Oh yes it can,” a voice behind them said.
On the top of the stone fountain stood Rose with the innocence at hand.
“NO!!!!” both akumma exclaimed. Not being able to regenerate themselves, Kanda and Allen were easily able to defeat the two.
“Bring salvation to this tormented akumma’s soul,” Allen said after delivering the final blow.
As the smoke from the battle cleared, he heard sounds of sobbing not too far from the fountain. It was there that he was Rose on her knees looking at her reflection in the water. He walked up to her and placed a hand on her shoulder, but when he saw her reflection in the water, he gasped. Her once auburn brown hair was silver and her soft skin was withered and wrinkled.
“Rose,” he said in disbelief, “is this what the fountain water did to you?”
“Yeah Allen,” she said as a tear slid down her face, “I’ve become the old maid and I can’t-”
“Yes you can Rose!”
“I can’t be with you anymore because the same thing that happened to Vitorri is going to happen to me.”
Allen gasped as he recalled his mission in Rome not to long ago. An ancient fighter came to life and once the innocence was gone, he aged rapidly and died.
“You don’t know that, maybe now that we have the innocence-“
“Look at the egg in the water. It didn’t turn back into a bird so I doubt I’ll turn back into a young adult,” she said crying. “I’m sorry Allen. Just leave me here.”
“But-“
“Come on Allen. Let’s go,” Kanda said putting his sword away and leaving the scene.
“Good bye, Allen,” Rose whispered to Allen’s ear after giving him one last kiss and slipping something into his pocket. After that she walked the other way disappearing into the night.
-----------------------------------------
“Still thinking about Rose?” Leenalee asked gently touching Allen’s shoulder.
“Yeah,” he replied sighing.
“Here’s your laundry, Allen,” Jerry said while handing him a pile of clothes.
“Thanks.”
“No problem, but next time remember to empty your pockets,” said handing Allen a card and leaving the room.
Allen stared at the card confused. It was the card he had made into a necklace for Rose but it was written on.
Dear Allen, I’m sorry it had end this way. I love you so much, but I don’t want you to sulk over me. Go save the world from Akumma and the Earl and know that when your battle is done that I’ll be waiting up here for you to give me back my card to we can play. –Love, Rose
Allen smiled at the card as a tear escaped his eye. “Rose,” he whispered, “let your soul rest easy as you play your card games.”