Scarred

Whole Story

Alastor Moody trudged up the cobblestone path through the shadow of night, the wind biting at his face and chilling him through his robes. It was quiet, not a sound but his footfall as he walked, looking for his quarry. He could see the trail ending at a tree ahead, at the beginning of a great forest, and thought he had found it. Surely enough, he began to see the air shimmer in front of him, and he shook his head, drawing his wand.
He drew his wand, pointing it at the tall oak, and muttered an inaudible incantation. A fog quickly formed, and faded to reveal a house.
“Terrible spellwork, Rabastan,” Moody whispered, “terrible spellwork.”
He walked past the whitewash fence, the paint chipped and the gate hanging on its hinges after many years. The roof looked set to cave in, the shingles on the window were devastated, and the lawn looked to have been ignored for years. He quickly put up a minor Anti-Apparation charm around the property, making his way to the door.
“Reducto!” The door was destroyed, and people could be heard running through the house. He stepped into the living room when he was surrounded by four individuals. He knew each face from the countless wanted posters, from the reports at the Auror’s Office, and knew of their terrible crime.
“If it isn’t Alastor Moody, hero of the Ministry,” Bellatrix laughed, “here to take us in!” The three Lestranges laughed, but Crouch Jr. stayed stone cold, shaking as he pointed his wand at Moody.
“Should I read you off your crime first? You already know why I’m here.”
“Humor us, Auror,” Rodolphus said, his eyebrows furrowed. He saw, out of the corner of his eye, Rabastan creeping past the fireplace to get behind him, but he kept his eyes on Rodolphus.
“Bellatrix Lestrange, Rodolphus Lestrange, Rabastan Lestrange, and Bartimaeus Crouch Junior, you are convicted of using an Unforgivable Curse on Frank and Alice Longbottom, torturing them into insanity. This crime will land you a life sentence in Azkaban. Now will you go quietly, or will I have to use force?”
Rodolphus laughed, staring Moody down. Crouch and Bellatrix drew their wands. Moody sighed, knowing the question didn’t need asking.
“Stupefy!” yelled Moody, turning onto Rabastan before anyone could move. The spell hit him dead in the chest and sent him sprawling into the corner of the room. Moody turned back around, ducking under a Killing Curse and firing off curses of his own. The three backed him next to Rabastan, throwing almost more spells than he could block. He needed to thin them out to beat them. He quickly lit the room with a blinding light, and when the three recovered, he had stumbled out of the room.

Rodolphus turned to his wife, helping her off of the floor. “Where did he go?” Crouch whispered, his voice wavering. Rodolphus tried to Apparate, but he couldn’t. That was when he heard a faint sound, like someone bumping into something. The others hadn’t heard it, but they followed him as he drifted towards the kitchen. Nothing seemed out of place. His eyes fell over the pantry when he saw something inside move, an outline, almost like a shifting chameleon.
On that thought did he decide to duck just as Moody fired a spell at him. It hit Bellatrix and Crouch, binding them in ropes. Moody bounded out of the pantry as a Killing Curse hit a can of soup, and Rodolphus followed him out of the kitchen and onto the staircase. They dueled up to the second floor, fighting in the main hall.
“Give up Rodolphus, you cannot beat me.”
“Die, Auror!” He backed Moody up to the window, trying to break his guard. He smiled, not seeing the Stunning Spell that hit him in the gut. He fell to the ground, in the throes of unconsciousness, seeing Moody walking to him, ready to bind him and take him. He had one last card to play, lifting his wand, firing a spell at Moody, seeing him clutch his eye.
“Sectumsempra!” He aimed for Moody’s neck, but as Moody stumbled to the side and fell, it hit his leg. He saw it separate from his body, and prepared to finish him off when he saw a blur crash through the window. He heard an incantation, and he remembered nothing more.

Moody woke in St. Mungo’s, gazing at Kingsley from the head of his hospital bed.
“Fancy seeing you here, Shacklebolt. What happened?” Kingsley sighed and pointed to the blanket. To Moody’s horror, his leg was gone. He remembered what happened and felt his face. He felt an eye that wasn’t his, rolling around.
“Rodolphus was about to finish you off when I got there. You missed the trial, but the four are headed straight to Azkaban. Wasn’t much to see, they didn’t have a defense.” He knew this was the big step in the war, but he couldn’t help knowing that life would never be the same. He was scarred, but he would get up again and fight. It wasn’t over until he took a final breath.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment with feedback