Un Amour Comme Non Autre

Introduction of Catherine Babineaux

It was 1891, Paris, the city of lights, and of love. I was but 22, with a fair complexion, dark curly hair, and blue eyes. My father was a wealthy man, and so we would travel a great deal, going to beautiful countries and staying at the most lavish of hotels. We went to Germany, Italy, even the United States for the summer.

My parents’ marriage was a happy one, and I, being a single child, was spoiled, to my delight. We had several maids in our mansion, and a butler, whom I was great friends with. My personal maid, Brigitte, was my best friend. Our favorite part of the week was tea time. On Sunday afternoons, mother would set aside a special time for the family, and we would have tea out in our gardens. Brigitte and I would discuss what flower was our favorite, and what color we liked best.

Daddy would even let Brigitte attend the parties and social gatherings I was invited to, and would buy us beautiful dresses and whatever else we wanted. We had such fun, gossiping about all the cute bachelors, and dancing the night away. One particular party holds great significance to me though, and so I will recount for you, in great detail, every moment as I remember.