Un Amour Comme Non Autre

Chapter 1: A Deadly Surprise

It was mid fall, and the Benoit’s were having their annual autumn masquerade ball. Daddy, as usual, took Brigitte and me out to buy new masks. Brigitte picked out a beautiful one. It covered her eyes and her nose, and was purple, with jewels around the whole mask, and the eye holes. It matched her dress wonderfully. I picked one that was outlined in gold, and there was sapphire blue on the inside. It matched perfectly with the gold colored dress I was going to wear. It had a gold and blue plume of feathers adorned on the top right side.

On the day of the ball, Brigitte and I got ready in my room.

“I hope there are a ton of cute boys!” Brigitte giggled.

“How would we know? Their masks will be covering their faces!” That sent us into a fit of giggles. It really wasn’t that funny, but the mood of the night had made us all giddy.

The carriage took us to the stone mansion. Christophe, the driver, helped both Brigitte and I out. He wished us a fun night, and told us that he’d be back at midnight. He bid us adieu as Brigitte and I walked in together, arm in arm, whispering and giggling.

The room was absolutely gorgeous. There were tables lined up on the far left, all adorned with the most lavish fabrics, and plates that carried every food imaginable. There was also a grand piano, with an older man in coattails playing classical music. But what caught my eye was the staircase on the right. It was made of white marble, and on the stairs, they had laid down a carpet of ruby red, with golden rope on the edges. The crystal chandelier above cast down beautiful specks, so it made the effect even more tremendous. It looked as if the carpet was sparkling. Their staircase had never looked this magnificent before, nor had the whole room. I was truly blessed to be able to be here tonight. Brigitte soon pulled me out of my thoughts.

“Come on!” She pulled my arm and led me to the floor where everyone was dancing. Since we didn’t have dates, and were already acting silly that night, we decided to dance with each other, which gained some looks from nearby dancers. We waltzed and giggled, and after an hour or so, went to rest on the side, where we drank some wine.

“Have you noticed anyone that caught your eye?” I asked Brigitte.

“There were a few good looking gentlemen, but none that really stuck out to me. It looks like you have an admirer though,” she said, looking past me. I turned my head and laid my eyes upon a young gentleman who was talking to someone, but kept shifting his eyes in my direction. I smiled and put my head down, turning back to Brigitte.

“My, he’s quite handsome,” I said. I could feel myself starting to blush.

“He is, he is. And he’s coming this way!” she squealed.

I looked up and to my amusement he was indeed walking over to where we were sitting. I could hear Brigitte’s breathing becoming more and more shallow.

“Hello, mes chers,” the man said, which made Brigitte blush uncontrollably. He had a silky smooth voice that was both alluring and peaceful.

“May I have a word with your friend?” he asked, looking directly at Brigitte.

“Yes!” she squeaked and ran off.

“May I sit?”

“Oui.”

“Merci. Your friend seems to be having quite some time here,” he commented.

“Oh, yes. She lives for the social life.” I smiled.

“Et toi?” he asked with a puzzling look.

“Oh. I enjoy it very much, yes.”

“Splendid. May I have a dance, then?” He smiled at me, beckoning me to say yes.

“Of course, Mister...” It was then that I figured out he hadn’t introduced himself. Or maybe he had, and I was too lost in his dazzling white smile, his piercing blue eyes, studying the way his blonde wavy hair was tied back off his face, or his brilliant mask, that was black, but covered in gold glitter.

“Oh, how utterly rude of me. My name is Lestat, Lestat de Lioncourt.”