Don't Look Back

01

Chapter 1

So there I was, walking away from the city that started it all. Battery City, that mother fucking place was no good for me. I knew I had to get away, I just knew it; but how? Running away of course. I stopped in my tracks and looked back. Did I really want to do this? Of course I wanted too. I looked forward and began to walk again. I knew Derek would take care of everything for me. He said he was alright with me running away from Better Living Industries, but was he telling the truth? What if he told Uncle Korse that I was gone? He wouldn’t...would he? All these thoughts ran through my mind while I walked further and further away. I’m confusing you all aren’t I? Maybe I should start from the beginning. My name is Stephanie, and I was once apart of Better Living Industries.

Now as you read above, my uncle is Korse. Who’s Korse you ask? He is the leader of the Better Living Industries and runs the S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W Unit, which is apart of BL/Ind.

I have an older brother named Derek who has looked out for me ever since I was little. You see when I was younger, Uncle Korse started taking over Battery City and my parents didn’t want to apart of BL/Ind., they thought it was wrong. They told us they were going out to the desert to become Killjoys, who are against BL/Ind. My mother told us to do whatever Uncle Korse told us to do, even if it was bad. Derek and I wanted to go with them, but they said it was too risky to bring us; so they left us with our uncle. Throughout the years, we went through training and learned to hate the Killjoys. Although our parents ran away and became Killjoys, Derek and I couldn’t find it in our hearts to hate our own parents; so we swore we would never hate them no matter what. I knew in my heart I wanted to be a Killjoy myself but I couldn’t leave Derek like that.

My views on becoming a Killjoy changed when I did something terrible, something I would never forgive myself for.

“You all know what to do, right?” The leader of our group asked.

“Yes sir, we do.” I whispered. We surrounded a little hut in the middle of the desert, we were on too kill Killjoys.

“On my mark okay? 1...2...3...GO!” We all ran in and began to shoot. The Killjoys began to shoot back as we continued. I saw someone with a mask on their face run upstairs, it looked like a young girl. I ran up the stairs to follow her. When I got upstairs, I saw her run into a room. I entered the room and fired my ray gun, shooting her right in the back. She screamed and fell onto the floor. When I walked over to see her condition, I saw that I didn’t just shoot a Killjoy, I shoot my childhood friend.

“Katie?” I asked shocked.

“Steph, how can you do this do me? I thought we were friends.” She said coughing.

“I mean we are but..oh what have I done?!”

“Your parents won’t be happy about this.” And that’s when she died. I killed my best friend. I just whipped the tears from my face and ran back downstairs. I saw what we have done, we killed everyone.

“Good work everyone, let’s get back in the car so we can tell Korse what we did. I’m sure he will be pleased.” We all walked out to the car and drove back to Battery City; but nothing erased killing Katie from the back of my mind. I was still in shock for what I have done. When we got back, Uncle Korse was waiting for the news.

“And how did we do Derek?” He asked my brother. I went and stood next to him.

“We killed all of them sir. All dead.”

“Excellent!” He said with a smile on his face. “I am proud of you both. You can both have next week off.” He hugged us both and walked off with his crew.

3 days passed and Katie was still in my mind. I just couldn’t stop thinking about her. I never wanted to kill anyone again, not even another Killjoy. I mean I’ve killed them before but never a friend. I knew what I wanted to do, and that was become a Killjoy myself. How was I going to tell Derek though?

“Hey baby sis. How are ya?”

“Funny you ask. I actually want to talk to you.” Derek looked at me funny and sat down on his bed across from me.

“Alright, I’m listening.”

“You remember my childhood friend Katie?”

“Aw yeah! I loved her. She was so nice, so were her parents.”

“Well I killed her when we went on our last mission 3 days ago.”

“Are-are you serious?”

“Yes. Derek, I don’t want to do this anymore. I don’t want to kill anymore Killjoys, what if we kill mom and dad? What if they are already dead?”

“Uncle Korse would never let us kill our own parents, you know that.”

“DEREK. I DON’T CARE ANYMORE. I WANT TO BE A KILLJOY. I’m sick of all of this! I want to be out on my own, you don’t care do you?” He looked down and then back up at me.

“You know what? You’re old enough to be on your own, so go ahead.”

“Wait, really?”

“Yeah, and I won’t tell Uncle Korse.”

“But won’t he get suspicious about me being away?”

“I’ll tell him you went on your own mission to kill Killjoys, you know some people go do that.”

“I guess so.”

“When will you be leaving.”

“In 2 days.”

“Alright.”


2 days came too quick. I woke up early and said goodbye too Derek and told him I loved him very much. He wished me luck and gave me a picture of us and our parents.

So now here I am, still walking. I’ve been walking all day actually and I am pretty tired. I looked at my watch and saw it was almost 8 at night. I sighed, where was I going to sleep? I looked ahead and saw a little hut, one I’ve never seen before.

“Hello?” I asked opening the door. No answer, it was abandoned. I looked at the couch and decided to crash. I laid down and closed my eyes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Like what you read? Leave a comment please? :)