‹ Prequel: A Strange Arrangement

Love is a Laserquest

Call it What You Want

I stood in front of the mirror straightening my hair and analyzing my wardrobe choice. Was a form fitting, floral dress too much?

“I should change. This isn't me. He's going to see right through this. Well, not literally I hope. Not that it'd be such a bad thing if he could...ugh. Stop it. It's just lunch. A lunch to salvage your friendship. Maybe jeans would be better then. No, I'm dressed. It's fine. That's the end of it.”

I set the hair straightener down and looked over my appearance. I smoothed the front of my dress down as I turned to the side to critique my ensemble. I seemed to be coming along decent enough. Now I had to do my make up.

My skills in the make up department were limited, so I stuck to my usual routine. I applied a small amount of concealer to a sponge and lightly spread it under my eyes to cover my dark circles. Then I slid a charcoal gray covered wand across my eyelids, being careful not to overdo it. A few swipes of unnecessary mascara on my naturally freakishly long lashes and I felt like I was done. Except for one thing...

“No. Well maybe. I'll just see how it looks.”

I took the cap off the tube of fire truck red lipstick I kept in my make up bag and stared at it. I wasn't even quite sure why I owned this. It had never been used except the handful of times I thought it would be appropriate to wear, only to stare at myself and think “Nope, not this time”, and then take it off. Maybe it would work now though.

Sliding the lipstick across my top lip I started feeling better. It looked surprisingly good for once. I rubbed my lips together and stepped back to view myself. I wasn't used to giving my appearance credit, but I felt content with it.

“But for a lunch though, Lexi? You're overdoing it a bit, don't you think?”

The smile fell from my face as those old familiar doubts crept back in. It wasn't a dinner. This wasn't formal. The dress was enough of a stretch.

I heard the front door open and my heart dropped. I had planned on being gone by the time Sara came home from the gym, but this plan had failed.

“Hello...?” I heard my roommate's voice echo through the apartment.

“Shit.” I thought as I stared at myself not knowing whether or not to reply. She was obviously going to come look for me if I didn't, so there was really no point in pretending that I wasn't home.

“Uh, yeah?” I answered nervously.

“What are you doing?” she asked as I listened to her footsteps drawing closer to my bedroom.

“Um, I'm uh-...” I stammered panicking internally.

"You're uh...what?" Sara mocked me as she turned the corner and looked into the bathroom. Her face became utterly confused when her eyes fell on me.

“What's with all of this?” she asked as she swirled her hand around the length of me. “You going to a photo shoot, princess?”

“No...just lunch.” I mumbled as I reached for some toilet paper with which to wipe off my light crimson pout.

“Lunch?” she repeated aloud. “Oh my gosh, you've got a date with Versteeg!”

“It is not a date! It's just a lunch!”

“Really? Because my 'just lunch' clothes look a hell of a lot different from what you have on right now.” she teased.

“Fuck, is it too much?” I asked looking down at myself and then back at her for guidance.

“No. Not if you want to get it on in the backseat of his car.”

“I look like a hooker. I knew it.” I cried as I reached back to unzip myself and change. Sara rested her hand on mine.

“It was just a joke. You look fine. Although, you might want to work on getting the rest of that red lipstick off. That does, in fact, make you look like a hooker.”

I turned the sink on and slid more toilet paper underneath. “Should I be doing this, Sara?”

“Well I would personally use a tissue. It's softer on the lips, but toilet paper works fine as well.”

“Not that!” I hissed. “Going to this lunch with Kris.”

“Oh, that! Yes, yes you should.” she nodded vigorously.

“Yeah? Why do you say that?” I asked curiously.

“Because you miss the hell out of him and there's a lot of unresolved issues there that you need to work out. This might be the time to do that. Or it might not. Either way, I think it'll be good.” she looked at me sincerely.

My doubts began to fade away and I looked at myself in the mirror with more confidence about myself and the day ahead of me.

“Thanks, Sara. You know when you're not being a sarcastic jerk, I kind of like you sometimes.” I joked.

“Gosh, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that...” she smiled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys. Remember me? I'm still alive and so is this story. No more delays and months without updates.
I was thinking about adding a Versteeg POV at the end of this, but decided to save it for the lunch.
Miss you guys and hope you'll still read this! Also, if you don't already, you should follow me on Tumblr so we can connect easier. cmlovejoy.tumblr.com :)
-C