‹ Prequel: A Strange Arrangement

Love is a Laserquest

Don't You Remember?

Kris' POV

“Thank you,” I said to the hostess who sat me at a table next to the window. It had a perfect view of the street so I could see if Alexandria was walking up.

I wasn't the nervous type generally. When you have 200 lbs. men racing toward you trying to smash your face against plexiglass panels, nerves are not something you can let affect you. Right now, however, an inexplicable sinking feeling was forming in my chest. Excitement and dread were mixing with my adrenaline causing my heart beat to quicken.

There were three things I knew: What I wanted to say, what I shouldn't say, and what I should say. The first two were interchangeable. The last one would probably end up being a lie.

I tried to wipe the stress away by smoothing my hands across my face. As my vision became focused again I saw the 5'4 brunette I had been anticipating walking up to the door in a slinky, flowery dress.

“Damn,” I thought as my eyes took in the sight before me. I looked down at my black v-neck and dark blue jeans and felt a quick moment of unease again. “I'm under-dressed. Shit.” It was too late to do anything about it now I concluded as her eyes that scanned the room met mine with an awkward little grin.

“Alright, this is it,” I thought as she made her way towards me and I rose from my seat to greet her. I inhaled heavily through my nose. “Let's do this.”

-x-
Lexi's POV

His outstretched arms enveloped me tightly and I rested m head against his chest contently for the briefest of seconds. We broke apart, grinning at the sight of each other momentarily, and he took two steps past me to pull out my chair.

“A tad formal, but then again I'm grossly overdressed anyway, so...”

I nodded appreciatively at him as I sat and he pushed me in. He walked around to the other side and took his place at the table also. He folded his arms on the table and unconsciously bit the inside of his lip as he looked around slightly, possibly for the waitress. I could tell he was nervous which helped me to relax a little knowing I wasn't the only one.

He cleared his throat and looked me in the eye. “So, how are you?”

“Good,” I nodded. “And you?”

“Great, great. Really getting along well with the guys, so I have a good feeling about this season.” Kris answered. “What about you?”

“Great as well. Doing my freelance thing, you know. It's what I love.” I smiled with a slight shrug.

“You were always the creative one, weren't you? I knew you'd accomplish what you wanted to.” He told me as he shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “Speaking of things you love: How's your boyfriend?”

The smile fell from my face as I rolled my eyes. “Why do you have to do that, Kris?”

“Do what? I was just asking a harmless question.”

I shook my head and sighed. “Well first of all, he's fine. Second of all I-” I paused mid-sentence pursing my lips before the words came out.

“You...what?”

“I...don't love him.” I admitted in almost a whisper.

“Well why not just finish the thought, idiot? I don't love him. I love you.”

“Then why are you with him?”
“He's good to me.”
“That's it? Because he's good to you?”

“No. I like him, okay? It's still early. I don't just want to throw around the “L” word.” I snapped looking away agitated knowing that nearly eight months into a relationship wasn't exactly considered “early”.

“Okay, I understand.” There was more he wanted to say, I could tell. I was surprised at his passive approach to the topic. “Sometimes it takes some people longer than others to realize how they feel.”

“So much for being passive...”

“Hey, guys!” said a perky, ginger waitress named Erin. “I'm Erin and I'll be taking care of you today. Can I get you some drinks to start off with?” she asked tilting her head in my direction.

“A Coke, please.”

“Sure thing. And for you?” she said averting her eyes towards Kris.

“Water, thanks.”

“Great choice,” Erin smiled widely winking at him. “I'll be right back.” she said as she bounced off in the direction of the kitchen.

“Wow.” I said narrowing my eyes at him.
“What?”
“Could she have been more obvious?” Kris looked at me confused. “I know you're pretty oblivious, but you must have noticed that blatant display of flirting.”

“I'm afraid I didn't.”

“Oh, great choice,” I mocked her voice and wink making it much more seductive than it actually was.

“She did not act like that.” he laughed shaking his head.

“Might as well have.” I said throwing my hands up. “You know who she reminds me of? Katie Simmons. You remember her?”

“Remember her? How could I forget her? She stalked me all through high school.” he laughed heartily.

“Aw, she just had a crush on you. That's all.” I said knowing that was an understatement.

“A crush is one thing. I'm pretty sure that girl would have tried to kidnap me if she had gotten the chance.” We both laughed as we started recounting past memories of Katie Simmons' awkward behavior.

My phone rang, interrupting the middle of our reminiscing. “Sorry,” I said to him as I dug the device out of my bag. Sara's picture appeared as the incoming call.

“Not now, Sara.” I thought as I hit the “ignore” button and shut the phone off.

“Where were we?” I said with a grin as I focused my attention back on his hypnotic blue stare. No call or text mattered at that moment. Only the laughs I was sharing with my best friend were of immediate importance to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Still figuring out how to structure the chapter. I'll figure it out tomorrow.
Hope you like it, kids! :)
Write any questions, comments, concerns, and suggestions you have for me as always.
-C