Sequel: Yesterday's Feelings

I Woke Up in a Car

13

The next morning I packed my things as John watched quietly. We loaded his truck and I was checking out when Eric was behind me. I heard him strike up a conversation with John. Once I was done with the front desk I turned around to sort of let John know I was ready. Eric looked at me, narrowing his eyes a little and then looking up at John.

I rolled my eyes, “Don't be insane, It's a vacation.” I said looking at him with my arms crossed.

Eric's hands rose in defense, “I didn't say anything.” he said with a chuckle.

I shook my head, “You didn't have to Eric.” I said, “I'll be packing my things when I get back, no worries.” My voice wavered a little bit as I added the last sentence in.

I turned to head out to John's waiting truck, not giving Eric the proper time to respond. I didn't want to hear anything he had to say right now. I wanted to forget about the fight and move on. There was so much to do in so little time though. I needed to call the management company and see if they'd be willing to place me with someone else, another rider maybe, and I needed to find somewhere to stay, and fast.

I sighed as I climbed into John's truck. He started the rig and the stereo boomed to life with big bass beats and synthesized noise. I grimaced and he turned it down a little, “Sorry.” He apologized. “Want to go get some breakfast?” he asked me as we pulled out of the hotel.

I shook my head. I wasn't terribly hungry, I had a slight headache and the booming bass of.. whatever he was listening to wasn't helping. I just wish I had Ruby with me, I could play her for hours on end, “Can we run by Eric's? I want to pick up Ruby.” I said. I had left her behind due to our travels. Besides, now was a time where I could really use her to speak for me.

John watched me, “Of course.” he said, pausing briefly, “You know, if there's anything, anything at all, that you want to talk about. You can tell me.” John said, looking over at me as he kept both hands on the wheel.

“Thanks,” I nodded, “In due time. I promise. Just a lot to sort out right now.” I said, settling in for the drive to Eric's and then back North to John's.

Once at Eric's I grabbed Ruby and some extra clothes to get me by. I didn't know how long I'd be staying with John but some fresher clothes couldn't hurt. Once we left there we made a quick stop and then we were back on the road. The ride was mostly silent as I watched out the window. John pointed a few things out here and there, told me wild stories of him chasing Buffalo in Yellowstone National Park (Silly guy!).

I was surprised, John even had snow at his house on the river in Nevada. Just off the highway on some back road by the border of California. His house was big, several bedrooms, a couple of bathrooms, and his dogs were there too. He had his sled and a dune buggy, though the buggy was for more summer weather.

I got out of his truck and headed inside. His house was far bigger than Eric's. Way bigger than Eric's as a matter of fact. John put his arm around me and guided me into the house. He led me up the stairs and to a spare room, “Uh, the guest room, if you want.”

I stepped inside and smiled a little, I set down my bags and went to look out the window. Wow, the view was amazing. The backyard was a hot mess, but the view of the river right outside John's backyard. I turned to look at John but he was gone.

I shrugged and unpacked my bag and then headed downstairs to the kitchen where I was met by John's dogs. I looked around and then heard the distinct crackle outside. I look outside and saw John out there. I ran up and got my winter jacket and headed out to the now, raging fire.

I smiled a little and rubbed my hands, “Wow, you have this gorgeous house and now you build a fire. What's next?” I asked laughing a little as I stood next to the older Jackson.

He chuckled and put an arm around me, “I fish too.” he said smirking a little, “Do you want something to drink?” he asked, looking at me.

I looked at the fire, and then nodded, “Sure. Maybe a beer or something.” I said. I'd never drank before, but, what could one drink hurt? Plenty of kids drank in high school and, well, I felt like I was somewhat behind having to drop out.

I took a seat near the fire and John re-appeared, handing me a cold beer. “Thanks.” I said, looking up at him as he sat next to me. “Thanks for letting me come hang.”

John made a face and waved his hand, “Aww it's nothin'.” John said, “Besides, I like you y'know. You're different.” John said.

I shook my head, “I'm not really different.” I said, opening and then sipping the beer, “Things are just complicated.” I said, watching the fire intently as snow began to fall. I looked up at the sky, which as cloudy.

John looked at me, “No, you're different Ari. Trust me.” John said, reaching back to tug my hood up as the snow began to fall a tiny bit more now.

I smiled and shook my head, “John, I'm not amazing or special. I promise.” I bit my lip a little and sipped the beer. It tasted so gross. How could anyone ever drink this stuff and like it. It was so gross. “I'm just a kid still. I ran away from home, ran away from my problems.” I sighed and sat back on the chair a little. “I'm still a little kid from New York who has no clue what she's doing.” I said.

John look at me and just pulled me close to him. It was like he understood without me even having to tell him everything. Which was refreshing-- not having to spell things out. I watched the fire rage as I drank my drink slowly. John and I talked, mostly about him and Eric growing up. I didn't really know a lot about either of them until now. John was excited to be out riding a bit this winter since his injury the last winter. I hadn't even known he'd been injured.

I felt.. tipsy, tired, exhausted. Everything was hitting me all at once. I felt John trying to lift me, “H-Hey, You'll hurt your knee.” I said in protest, shifting. My eyes opened and the fire was just orange embers.

John's voice was soft, calm, deep, “That's nonsense. You're like a hundred pounds sopping wet.” John's big, strong arms had already wrapped around me and he was carrying me inside.

I wrapped an arm around John's neck, the warmth of the house hit my face and only then did I realize how cold it had been outside. My nose felt frozen, brr. “I do not.” I yawned, burying my face in John's neck between his dreads.

John laughed as we began to ascend the stairs, “Come on, into bed you go.” John laughed. I laughed.

“Only if it's your bed.” I whispered. Having another body next to me, for heat, for warmth, for comfort, was something I could get very, very used to. Especially if it was John. John was nice, he was funny, he was attractive.

John didn't miss a beat. Instead of going right, he went left. I raised my head a little to see John carrying me into the baster bedroom. “Gwyn, Sensi, Down.” John said, putting me down to rouse the two dogs out of his bed.

I yawned tiredly and laughed, “Aww no, they could join us. I don't mind. The more the merrier.” I said, taking off my jacket and setting it on a nearby chair. I was taken aback a little, John's master bath was surrounded by glass so you could see the bathtub (a jetted bathtub no less!).

By the time John turned around I was already out of my jacket and was getting out of my pants. I figure I'd just sleep in my shirt and underwear, no big deal. I'm sure he'd seen a million girls naked or in some sort of undress. From the stories John had been telling me, he'd been around the world, what was I going to compare to any of them?

John took off his shirt and then scooped me up, tickling me. I screamed and laughed as I weakly fought John off, “Nooo!” John picked me up and carried me over to the bed, I couldn't help but run my hand over his arm, over his bicep and pecs. He was muscled and a little tan, not hairy, no tattoos.

John smiled as he set me on the bed, “Sleep. You need it.” John said, leaning close to me, his forehead pressing against mine.

I nodded a little, “Yeah.” I closed my eyes briefly before looking up into John's intense, deep blue ones. They were gorgeous and only made John more attractive. I didn't have a clue what I was doing but I was going to take a chance.

“What?” John asked, smiling, “What are you looking at me like that for?” He asked, laughing as his hand rested on my hip.

Without warning I leaned up and pressed my lips to John, soft and slow. Well, I thought I was doing it soft and slow. I hadn't ever kissed someone before who wasn't my mother. I was so totally clueless. John didn't immediately respond so I pulled back, embarrassed. He didn't like it. I was a bad kisser. Oh god, I just fucked up. So many bad thoughts ran through my mind that I wasn't paying attention.

John's lips had curled into a slight smile, “Woah.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Ghosts N' Stuff by Deadmau5 ft. Rob Swire (Nero Remix)

Thanks for Reading and Subscribing. Hope you're all liking it so far.

As always, read & review!