Sequel: Yesterday's Feelings

I Woke Up in a Car

22

Eric thought it would be a good idea to amus emy mother. He agreed to come to dinner with me and my Mother's house, at whicht ime we both decided it would be a good idea to let them know that I would be returning back to work, back to California with Eric and even though it was the middle of the season.

"Wow Mrs. Mitchell, the house and the food smells amazing." Eric said as my mother sat the pot roast on the table right in front of Eric. Other fixins included mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts, and rolls.

I nodded in agreement with Eric, "Yeah mom, looks good." I said as I took a spoonful of Brussel sprouts. Those were my favorite by far. Eric took a few and I chuckled, "Not a fan of Brussel sprouts dear?" I asked, jokingly motioning to his plate.

Eric laughed, "I used to feed them to my dog as a kid, so no, but they're not awful They're just not my thing but I'll still eat them." He said, his cheeks reddening just a little bit as he looked at my mom.

My mom laughed and pointed to me, "She used to try to get her dad to take her extra asparagus as a child." So that hopefully Eric didn't feel too bad about not liking the brussel sprouts.

"So now Eric, what is it that you do for work?" Gene asked as my mother tended ot Danielle who had food all over her face. I could see the look of concern on Gene's face.

Eric wiped his mouth with his napkin before he spoke, "I'm a professional snowboarder." Eric said, looking at Gene.

Gene looked at Eric and purse his lips as though he was thinking, which, I knew he was. "So your season is kind of right now?"

Eric gave a nod, "Yeah, and it's been going okay so far but last season was way better, mostly because I had Ari with me." Eric said.

I took this as the opportunity to chime in, "Speaking of me working again, I've decided I'm going to go back to California with Eric for work and that I'll be looking into getting my GED by correspondence." I said before quickly shoving food in my mouth.

I think Gene and my mother were far too shocked to speak so ultimately Danielle spoke first, while she was still little, she was smart enough to know that meant I'd be going away, "Leaving sissy?" She asked, looking at me.

I nodded, frowning at her. Well, that was an wasy way to make me feel like complete shit. "Yeah hon. Sissy has to go back to work for Eric but she'll be back soon. I promise honey." I said, looking at Danielle.

"But why?" The little toddler asked looking at me with my mother's eyes.

I wish the answer was simple but it wasn't. Even though I was trying to make it as simple as possible. "Because I have to honey." I said softly, looking between Gene, my mother, and Eric.

Gene and my mother were giving Eric a sort of evil eye that made me feel like he was some sort of Devil for me wanting to go with him. At least I felt like if I told them that I HAD to go, they couldn't beg me to stay, that I was obligated to go when in reality nothing was farther from the truth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Runnin' With The Devil by Van Halen

Sorry this is so short but it's more or less a filler to kind of tide you all over. I'm hoping to have another chapter out soon. I'm currently working on a Novel (Yes, for NaNoWriMo) so all my energy has been focused on that.

Hopefully I can catch a bit of a break this weekend sometime and I'll be able to eek out a better chapter for you all.